It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
(male)

ffomega HB User
Unhappy Sleep Apnea

Hi, I have sleep apnea. I have several related symptoms that I am experiencing. However, whenever I go see my sleep doctor and they perform the tests on me they always come back negative or too mild to diagnose. I have even had a sleep study done on me and it came back with little concern on the doctor's behalf.
  • I have had my heart looked at...no immediate or noticeable problems.
  • I have been checked for blockage...all blood vessels are clear.
  • My lungs have been tested for breathing disorders or other problems...fine
  • I have seen several doctors, including my primary and the sleep doctor, who has referred me to other sleep and heart/lung doctors...all confirm no problems

Yet, when I am at home...I experience these symptoms. During the time I am awake I am fine mostly...I do experience a slight, almost numb sensation in my left hand's fingers if my arm is laying in a horizontal postion for more than a few minutes at a time.

When I lay down, the arm experiences these symptoms...but then I feel slight almost non-noticeable numbness in my lips, breathing difficulty (like I have to think about breathing), discomfort in my chest (like it is slightly being squeezed), sharp yet mild stabbing pain around my heart and in my sternum...and all of this when I am tired and try to sleep. Sometimes I jerk and this causes my whole body to tremble like it is shivering, yet I am not cold. I have also woken up with a stuffy nose as if I have a cold but the discharge is clear and thin..not colored and thick like an infection.

I clearly have something wrong with me but whenever I go in for testing my body "behaves" itself. I'm not imagining any of this but to others my body gives off the impression that this is all in my head. I am literally scared to fall asleep sometimes for fear I won't wake up. I know sleep apnea is one thing I have, but it could be something else as well, like maybe an anxiety disorder.

I don't know who else to turn to because the doctors can't find anything wrong...and I don't know of anyone else who has this problem and when I do find someone with this or similar problems...they are left with as empty as I am trying to make sense of this....closest I have come to a light at the end of the tunnel are forums where I read messages saying "I have that too" or "I have some of those symptoms".

I'm looking for answers so I can finally have a decent sleep at night...or others who have the same problems who know how I can get help. I can't even remember the last time I slept for more than 5 hours at a time and this has been plaguing me for decades

Someone please help me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea

The person suffering from sleep apnea finds it hard to determine which symptoms he or she has. Since major symptoms that is associated with sleep apnea happens during sleep. The people or partner sleeping with the sufferer is the one that can help in determining and confirming which symptoms the sufferer has. Here are the symptoms of sleep apnea.
  • Chronic Snoring
  • Gasping of Air while sleeping
  • Long pauses in breathing or apnea episodes
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness
  • Waking up with a dry mouth and throat
  • Morning Headaches
  • Multiple Awakenings at Night

The Following User Says Thank You to claud883 For This Useful Post:
Raylie (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

peaches1358 HB User

hi, i have been in the exact same position, only they gave me 3 different sleep studies, but when i had the last one, i couldnt breathe during the night, and my mum would check on me regularly and had to revive me quickly. months later the doctors still cant find anything wrong with me, so i give up trying to find answers for my problems, but i hope you do, but dont give up like i did. i have enough problems in my life right now

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

Raylie HB User

Have they ever looked at something called "alpha sleep disruption?"

Closed Thread

Tags
chest pain, sleep apnea