It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

andrea10163 HB User
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

Hi, First time posting on this board today. I have had what was termed as Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. I have been labelled by my doctor as naturally tired person, lazy, required more exercise, busy, stressed, depressed....you name it, Ive been called it. I paid privately to have an overnight Polysomnography and daytime Multiple Sleep Latency Testing done at the end of January this year, mainly due to the excessively long waiting time for testing on the NHS. Narcolepsy has been ruled out. Sleep Apnoea has been ruled out. What did show up was the excessive number of times my legs were moving overnight 187 (70 of which met the criteria for Periodic Limb Movement Disorder). 40 of my 90 odd arousals (not full awakenings) overnight were concurrent with the leg movements. Fantastic I thought...I have PLMD. Not what the neurologist said. He said that if a person is achieving a normal nights sleep, PLMD would not be enough to cause them to waken. He had to be coaxed into even mentioning that part of my test results. He concluded that my busy, stressful life was what was causing me to feel so tired due to wakening up so often overning. Rubbish....I do deep relaxation before going to sleep and this is evident in the alpha waves on my EEG. He says that it may be the fact that I have Fibromyalgia that could be causing the poor sleep quality. (80.1%) and has prescribed Gabapentin which is an anti-convulsant to help aid my sleep....jeeez I wonder if he actually graduated. Worse fact though is that he does not want to see me again. I am presently waiting for a second opinion on my results.

My daytime sleep tests showed that my average time for falling asleep was 10 and a half minutes...this was over 4, 20 minute tests 2 hours apart the day following my overnight testing.

The neurologist says that this proves that I am not sleepy enough to merit not being able to drive so I have applied again to the DVLA for my drivers licence back...this could take another 4 months :-(

It is very difficult to find out what "normal" is. Do other people who do not have sleep disorders find themselves falling asleep during the day if they sit down? I can only drive short distances before beginning to feel tired, or as the previous poster put having a fuzzy, dull head sort of feeling....(my head is like that all day)

All I want is a name to refer to my symptoms and something that will make me feel in the morning that I have actually slept the night before.

I will update when 2nd opinion comes through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
(male)

copingandhoping HB User
Re: Excessive daytime sleepiness anyone ??

I also have hypersomnia.
"prescribed a relief med" I would be interested in knowing which one and does it work?
I have been taking Provigil but can no longer afford it; even the new generic by Teva Pharm (April 2012), is $875 for 30 pills.
I know yours is an old post but maybe you have found some answers.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

There are quite a few CNS type medications out there. I replied to another post of yours a second ago, but I will in here as well.

Concerta and Focalin XR are pretty popular. There is always Ritalin, however it lasts about 4 hours. Concerta and Focalin XR are "Suppose" to last for around 12. I've have taken Provigil, Ritalin, Concerta, and Focalin (ALL for EDS, not recreational use). Provigil did NOTHING for me. Concerta helped and is powerful, focalin I felt nothing, Ritalin helped, but it's short lasting.

Check out the various reviews on CNS medications.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-10-2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

bnicole11 HB User

I'm new to this, and is outta my norm! Its different talking to someone that can relate, ya know? Rather than getting someone to try understand what your talking about!! Ive struggled with this for many years.. Its getting worse as the weeks go by and it is really really taking a toll on my everyday life. I was a teen mom, yes I gradutated, yes I went to college, yes I married my high school sweetheart, we raised our sweet baby through it all and 13years later we are 29, still together raising 3 amazing boys and couldnt be happier. ALL of that was hard and more tough emotionally as teenagers but this EDS or CFS is the hardest most difficult thing I have ever been faced with, it is debilitating some days and makes me so angry that I cant just feel "normal". I'm so sick & tired of being tired all the time day in and day out. Whats most frustating is that no matter what I do I never ever feel like I can be productive. Little things like taking a shower and getting ready for the day has become a task for me lately. I can literally fall asleep at the drop of a hat if I sit still long enough. At night I can fall asleep almost instantly. Yes I do have a 6 month old but he eneviatably loves sleep as much as I do!! Ha! He goes down at 7:30pm wakes up at 3:30 for a feeding and he and I are back to sleep within 15-20 min. This has always been an underlying issue regardless of the baby and being a momma is the one thing that I do look forward to everymorning tired or not. I have noticed lately that I cannot finish a project, I have started many and I just dont have the ump to get up and do it, The thought cleaning up & laundry is... you would think I was preparing myself for a 5k! You just dont wanna!! I am having a hard time focusing on things, coffee and cokes have taken a u turn on me, they just relax me like no other, Ive tried energy drinks and diet pills for the energy effect and It puts me to sleep in a heartbeat. Anyone else doing this?? I usually nap from about 9:30 to 11:30AM and then I pry myself outta bed and get up feed the baby, and the only thing thats on my mind is " I wish I could go back to sleep" I battle another spell of extreme amounts of forceful fatigue around 2 and I'll take an hour nap then again about 5, but I cant sleep then cause its baseball and soccer time, towards the end of the evening when the sun is going down it hits again after dinner sometime around 8 and thats the only 30 minute time frame we have to watch tv and I pass out for about 15/20 minutes of it!! I will wake up get a second wind, we check homework, clean up kitchen, house, do a load of laundry, iron clothes, Then shower watch the news and I dont even finish it as soon as I lay down I'm out! I know that If I could I can without a doubt and no problem at all sleep ALL day long!! I have questioned myself if maybe Im allergic to the sunlight!! Evertyhing seems impossible during the day and as soon as the sun starts to set I start to feel like a piece of my sanity is coming back to me!! Very wierd!! I had a sleep study last Thursday night and I'll get my results and hopefully a plan Thursday at my follow up appt.
The tech said he hadnt' seen anything like this, he's interested to find out almost as much as I am!!
He said for the first 3 1/2hrs my mind wouldn't let me go into REM sleep I wouldn't get that deep sleep, then the next 3hrs I would go into REM sleep but I would quit breathing for a split second and I would come completely out of my sleep and be awake for a minute or two and then do it all over again. Finally for the last 2 hrs I slept on my side and I my pattern was good and I went into REM and continued to breathe good and dream! Wierd!
I dont take any medication, I do jog about 3 times a week but hopefully I'll get answers soon and let you all know!!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User

Sleep apnea is one of the most common types of sleep disorders, which is characterized by having one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while a person is asleep. Each pause in breathing is referred as “apnea”, and each apnea can last from a few seconds up to minutes. Apnea episodes can occur from 5 times to 30 times per hours, and can happen more than 200 times per sleep. Sleep apnea can cause a disruption in the quality of sleep, which can lead to excessive daytime drowsiness the next day.

Closed Thread