It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

Sher_A HB User
Provigil vs Modafinil, strange thing happened here

Today I filled a prescription for the generic version of Provigil. It came in a sealed bottle marked "Modafinil 200 mg", no problem there. This bottle was distributed by Par Pharmaceutical Companies, manufactured in Canada by Patheon Inc. I then opened the bottle to take one and I noticed that all the caplets in there were marked "Provigil" on one side and the back side was scored with 200 MG exactly like the brand name. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it was rather strange. I'm not going to do anything about it, but wonder why the supposed generic version looks exactly like the brand name or was this some kind of mistake?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
(female)

ElektraAmperes HB User
Re: Provigil vs Modafinil, strange thing happened here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher_A View Post
Today I filled a prescription for the generic version of Provigil. It came in a sealed bottle marked "Modafinil 200 mg", no problem there. This bottle was distributed by Par Pharmaceutical Companies, manufactured in Canada by Patheon Inc. I then opened the bottle to take one and I noticed that all the caplets in there were marked "Provigil" on one side and the back side was scored with 200 MG exactly like the brand name. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought it was rather strange. I'm not going to do anything about it, but wonder why the supposed generic version looks exactly like the brand name or was this some kind of mistake?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

ElektraAmperes HB User

No mistake. Earlier this year when Cephalon's patent Provigil license was due to expire, Cephalon sub-contracted the manufacturing to competing pharma companies that would otherwise start selling modafinil (provigil's real name) at a significantly lower price. The deal included their right to use the Provigil name on each pill. That's the short answer.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

Sher_A HB User

Thanks for that! I thought it was rather odd!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
(female)

ElektraAmperes HB User

Anytime

Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
(male)

jjordan09 HB User

Hi! Are you still taking Provigil?

Closed Thread