It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
(male)

superfob54 HB User
4 hours of sleep a night - Am I about to drop dead??

I'm 21 years old, only been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night for the past three years. Before that I slept plenty, 7-8 hours a night. I got scared of having dreams, so I started deliberately limiting myself to little over 5 hours of sleep a night to avoid getting dreams that're too vivid. Some nights I barely sleep more than an hour, which brings the average down to four.

I recently learned about the dangers of sleeping that little, though. And now I'm scared. Am I now screwed for life? Is there any way I can undo the damage I've done to my body by sleeping so little for the past 3 years? I don't have any diseases that I know of, but I must've screwed up my immune system badly. Am I done for? Is there any way to make up for this?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 4 hours of sleep a night - Am I about to drop dead??

I doubt you are about to drop dead. And if your immune system was very weak, you'd know about it already.

However, you will eventually develop serious health problems if you don't start sleeping more. You may find that your ability to concentrate improves with more sleep, you may get sick less often, and you may recover from injuries faster.

If your dreams are causing that much of a problem, talk to a doctor or counselor about it. They may have a solution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

superfob54 HB User

Will more sleep repair the damage I've done to my system by not sleeping?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
(male)

superfob54 HB User

I should point out, btw, that I don't actually feel that different on days I get my normal 5 hours and 15 minutes of sleep than I used to feel on 7-8 hours of sleep. Studying isn't really harder. My memory and concentration and stuff aren't any worse than they were when I was sleeping 7-8 hours at night. My energy levels are fine during the day, and I don't usually get sleepy. If I try to or clear my head or something, I get sleep quite fast, but otherwise no.

Am I just one of those people who doesn't need much sleep?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, since you are very young and it's only been a few years, you probably can reverse any damage that has occurred.

And it's true, some people need less sleep than others, but there aren't many who can get by on only 4 hours.

Closed Thread