It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

ST22 HB User
I hate ambien!

I'm posting on here because I am so frustrated with my sleeping problems and I'm needing some encouragement, advice, and opinions. So pleeeaase help lol. I will start by explaining what is going on and what I'm taking. I'm 25....have had sleeping problems for years, chronic back/neck pain, and ADD. About 1 1/2 yrs ago my doctor prescribed me 10mg ambien, 20mg citalopram, and 70mg IR adderall daily. At first this combo of everything seemed to be a miracle treatment for me....I was able to sleep, be in a good mood, have energy, and more patience.

After a while I started to notice that the ambien wasn't really helping me sleep anymore so I decided to take more. Started with just taking one and a half then told my doctor about it and he said I could take 2. Well of course after a while my body needed even more to sleep so now I take 2 1/2 every night, sometimes I have taken 3 or 3 1/2. When I first started taking them I thought the feeling was enjoyable....it was like my nightly escape from reality. I stopped thinking and stressing about problems in my life.

Well things are different now. Its created more stress than I could have imagined! I have to worry about how much its gonna cost, if I'm gonna run out too soon because I'm taking too much, will my doctor reply to my refill request on time, how early can I get a refill without getting denied??? These are questions I ask myself almost daily! I dont want to do it anymore, I hate taking pills in order to sleep every night. The only other thing that works for me is taking xanax which I actually prefer over the ambien because I feel like I can actually fall asleep myself instead of being in a drug induced coma pretty much. I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have to take something in order to sleep but I'm also relieved to know that I can sleep without ambien. It might be supplemented with something else but for me it's an accomplishment and small step to getting away from sleeping pills!

I'm sorry this is so long and boring to read....I have so much more that I wanted to put but didn't want to torture yall with more details lol. But anything anyone has to say is appreciated! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
(male)

Oldbookman HB User
Re: I hate ambien!

I've been an insomniac all my life. I'm now 71. Until Ambien came along I could neither fall asleep or stay asleep, so my nights were hell & my days, if anything, worse! But 5 mg Ambien did the trick & I never needed more. I even cut back taking it to just 2 times a week & still slept pretty well.

But a year ago I developed severe chronic pain after an operation, so I ended up taking Ambien CR 12.5 mg every night. This solved my renewed sleep problem, but every morning I was horribly sick with nausea & stomach ache. I trembled at even the thought of trying to eat breakfast. it got so bad, my body wasn't feeling well until 3 in the afternoons.

Then I suddenly got the idea to cut back the Ambien to 5 mg. voila! No more morning/afternoon sickness. And I'm getting enough sleep if not great sleep.

Don't know if this helps your situation, but thought I'd offer mine.

Cheerios, Joel

Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

ST22 HB User

I'm glad to hear you found the perfect dose and feeling better! Just hearing that made me feel better unfortunately the ambien has become more than just a sleep aid to me. It has created so much stress around sleeping in general that I can't relax enough to try to get off of it. Now I feel like I have to take something in order to sleep, which is not healthy. It's more of a mental problem I think lol I just wish there was an easier way!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

My Dr has me take Ambien with melatonin or benadryl. Right now as post op. I also. Take xanax, Valium, and Tramadol AND tylenol #3 and sleep.well on all of them.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

cetiya HB User

i did that too many years and ended up taking 100 mg a day. got totally addicted to ambien. just be warned.

The Following User Says Thank You to cetiya For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (08-25-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
(female)

twilight time HB User

Sorry you're having problems. Perhaps a sleep clinic would help.............also, ask about cognitive thinking therapy. REduce stress. I've been off ambien for about 2 weeks....can't sleep. It's awful! I'm hoping things will improve.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
(female)

twilight time HB User

I'm sorry that you're having these problems. I have insomnia also.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
(male)

technick HB User

I understand what your going thru, my past issues are very similar to yours, except I've never taken high doses of adderall or ambien. I started ambien while backpacking across europe, it was the only real way to sleep in hostels. It soon became a daily habit and I wasn't able to sleep without it. Like you, I couldn't handle being addicted to any drug so I spoke with my doctor about it and was switched to Lunesta. Lunesta helped me sleep but didn't do anything about the headaches or mood swings (my withdrawl effects). After a few weeks though, the nasty side effects of the ambien were gone and I was back to sleeping mostly naturally. I did have a few sleepless nights but not often.

Hope this helps

Last edited by technick; 10-06-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

mandygb HB User

I'm having the same problem. You just described me to a T. Today will be my first night with no Ambien. I need encouragement to make it through. Please feel free to contact me.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
(male)

technick HB User

Are you coming off cold turkey or have you been lowering your dosage gradually?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
(female)

mandygb HB User

Cold turkey because I took my entire prescription in 2 weeks time.

Closed Thread