It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Insomnia advice? Can't fall asleep.

I had the occasional completely sleepless night from the time I was a child. It seemed to be resolved by the time I was in my twenties. Until I was 28 and contracted mono. It's supposed to make you sleep a lot, but it made me stay up all night every night. Fast forward to now, three years later, and I still have this problem.

I have tried OTC and common sense remedies: melatonin, going in the sun during the morning, eliminating caffeine, exercising more, Unisom, herbal combination tabs, chamomile tea, valerian tea, 200mg Benedryl (on a particularly frustrating night). I have tried prescription drugs: Ambien, Elavil, trazodone, Remeron and hydroxy pamoate, some left over Vicodin from a surgery. It just seems like nothing does the trick. I stay up through it all.

Remeron in combination with Wellbutrin was the most helpful combination. I slept around 5-6 hours a night on average, but I still had sleepless nights at least every couple of weeks or so. I'm not taking the Remeron anymore because the side effects were really affecting me a lot. I'm back to just a couple of hours a night.

If I have three completely sleepless nights in a row, I'll sleep for nearly the whole day on the fourth day. Then I'll sleep for 6-7 hours the next and gradually taper back down to the completely sleepless nights again. My problem is falling asleep. I can lay with my eyes shut all night but the sleep doesn't come and it's really boring. If I do fall asleep its usually around 6:30am whne the sun is up. The baffling part is that I have tried to tire myself out by running 5 miles really hard after a completely sleepless night, but the day I ran was sleepless too!

I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and very bad acid reflux. My blood sugar has been under control now for the past two months and I take meds for the acid reflux.

Does anyone have this problem or have any suggestions? I feel like the incredible hulk. Nothing makes me tired. Nothing.

Last edited by Pastafarian; 06-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Insomnia advice? Can't fall asleep.

Dear Incredible Hulk

This needs a more detailed diagnostic process. Many of the usual remedies you listed should have had some effect, even if you would not choose them for a long-term solution. If none of them did, then you need a deeper look into the situation, which would include a professional evaluation of diet, routines, behaviors, etc.

Many of the meds you mentioned are prescription, so obviously you have been seeing one or more docs. I don't know whether you have tried someone who specializes in sleep issues, but that's where I would go, and they would probably suggest a sleep study to see what is actually going on during your sleep period, in addition to an evaluation of the aforementioned routines, etc.

No presumption here, but I've learned it is also important to be very honest with your docs. If they feel you are not honest, whether you are or not, they will prescribe the standard routine but will not reach further.

M.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich775 For This Useful Post:
Pastafarian (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Re: Insomnia advice? Can't fall asleep.

All of those things did make me feel more relaxed, but not really sleepy. It has been so long since I've had the urge to sleep, it's starting to weird me out a little bit. Every night I just my there trying to relax but I'm not really sleepy. I have only seen my PCP and a psychiatrist, no further studies or tests for this issue. I've had an unlucky couple of years with illnesses that they both wanted to say was depression or anxiety-related. When most of my anxiety came from these crappy health problems that weren't being treated properly. Maybe they do think I'm exaggerating or not being honest. But later I had tests that proved there were actual physical problems - like low blood sugar for example and mononucleosis and appendicitis. No joke. I need to wear a necklace of four-leaf clovers or something. I wonder if my psychiatrist just has that impression of me that this point. I had to laugh at your sig because that's exactly how I feel about the anxiety. I see a GI doc in two weeks and I'll test the waters to see if he thinks further treatment for my reflux will help wih sleeping. Thanks for your perspective! It helps because I really hadn't thought of it that way.

Last edited by Pastafarian; 06-25-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread