It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Sleep Questions

I have sleep apnea. I have been on a bipap machine for 3 months now. Before that I was on a cpap machine. I was switched to the bipap because of dry mouth. Anyway, I still feel tired after waking up and through out the day. If I go on long drives it really kicks in. They showed I did stop breathing 38 times and hour but with the machine it is down to around 10. The doc said that is still to high and it should only be no more then 2 an hour tops. I am sleeping around 8 hours a night. I go to bed and wake up around the same time. Don't drink caffeine to late at night or anything like that. My height and weight are ideal, so the doc isn't worried about that. Has anyone still had this problem of feeling tired through out the day even being on a cpap/bipap machine? If so what could it be? Could it be maybe a thyroid problem or iron problem. I am a 34 year old male if that helps. If anyone can help or need more info I would greatly appreciate it. I am tired of feeling sleepy and or drowsy through all or most of the day.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Sleep Questions

Presumably you got the apnea info from a sleep study, which is good. However, apnea is a symptom caused by some other underlying condition (e.g., sinusitus, nasal restrictions, acid reflux, etc.). Have you/they identified the underlying condition? The answer to this could go a long way to helping answer your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
(male)

What they told me is my airway around my throat closes at night if thats what you are talking about as a cause. At my last visit they said they are trying to figure out what to do next, because they told me usually surgery does not work to often, so it would be more pain than what it is worth. My next visit is in September, so they can try to figure what to do next, because they are stumped right now. I am stumped as well so I am hoping someone has experienced this or knows someone that has so I would know what to do to feel better during the day. Yes I have had to sleep studies and had an over night home oxygen test as well. I am just tired of feeling tired everyday. The doc said even with it being around 10 times an hour I still stop breathing I should not feel this tired all day, which is why I am thinking there may be something else going on.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

You're probably right that something else is going on. Trying to find what it is can be as simple as a few blood tests or as complicated as years of searching and trial and error. Sleep apnea, however mild, can certainly make any other condition worse. I would think your next step (if you haven't already done it) should be to ask your regular doc for a full blood panel, which will test thyroid and testosterone levels as well as a lot of other stuff. I mention those two because they are commonly the first two tests for men with fatigue.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
(male)

I have talked to my family doc and asked her if I could have full blood work done and she agreed. I just told her since I am 34 I should not be feeling this way and I've read about thyroid problems and others things online a few days ago and like you posted today that could be contributing to feeling tired and fatigued. I thank you for your responses and I hope by this Friday or next Monday I will have my results from my blood work. Hopefully some others that are experiencing the same issues will post on here as well.

Closed Thread