It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

mjm51 HB User
Ambien vs Nature Made Sleep

Was wondering if anyone has used Ambien for a prolonged period of time and then tried to switch to Nature Made Sleep or any other OTC sleep aid? I've had difficutly for along time falling asleep and Ambien certainly helps, but now I feel like I can't sleep without it.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Ambien vs Nature Made Sleep

Unfortunately, Ambien is addictive, and getting off it will require tapering off slowly and patience. You might try, if you are taking 10 mg, taking 7.5 every other night for a few nights, then 7.5 every night for a few, then alternate 7.5 with 5mg for a few and so on. You will need a pill cutter to cut the tablets. Better yet, call the Dr who prescribed them and ask for their tapering suggestions. You should be off it in 2-3 weeks. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

mjm51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Unfortunately, Ambien is addictive, and getting off it will require tapering off slowly and patience. You might try, if you are taking 10 mg, taking 7.5 every other night for a few nights, then 7.5 every night for a few, then alternate 7.5 with 5mg for a few and so on. You will need a pill cutter to cut the tablets. Better yet, call the Dr who prescribed them and ask for their tapering suggestions. You should be off it in 2-3 weeks. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
(male)

technick HB User

I was able to switch off ambien too lunesta which allowed me to break my ambien addiction. It was the only way I could sleep and once I finished a month of lunesta, I was fine to sleep without medicine.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I've used sleep aids purchased at health foods stores, and then tried sleeping not taking anything (basically to save money) and I find that I do not have the low grade mild depression when I wake up, as I did when I was taking the "natural" sleep aids. It took me about a week to get used to not taking anything at night. Although the natural sleep aids did work fairly well, taking them did not ensure that I would get a great night's sleep. You could taper off the Ambien and then if you wish take a placebo, which would give you the feeling that you are taking something. In addition, I've read that melotonin can interfere with serotion levels, and, in turn, can cause mild depression in certain individuals. My personal feeling is that anything taken that can put a person in a deep sleep will have a rebound effect with their mood; (i.e. depression).

Closed Thread