It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

mszach HB User
Severe Insomnia/Need Advice...

I've suffered from insomnia for quite a few years now, I'm 41 right now and it seems to get worse with age. I had a sleep study done in July of 2011 which was normal, but lately, things have been getting really bad. I fear that I have sporadic fatal insomnia, I know it's rare, but I'm on klonopin, trazadone and flexeril. For the past week or so, it seems as though I can't sleep more than a couple hours at a time without waking up. I have been under some stress lately, I'm wondering how big of a role that plays.

You read about things on the internet like SFI and it's frightening, especially if you're already taking high doses of meds and they're not working. Just wondering if anyone else out there takes high doses of sleep meds and still can't sleep well. It's not only frustrating but scary. I have chronic pain issues but my pain isn't bad when I'm lying down, so I should be able to sleep.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts or input of any kind would be appreciated!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
(male)

jl0128 HB User
Re: Severe Insomnia/Need Advice...

hey there,
stress may can be very big problem depending on people.
my advise shall be not to use your phone, com, watch tv etc 30 minutes before you sleep/before going to bed.

also, if u r taking any sleeping medications, after a while u will have to increase your doses, as your body will get use to the pills and have therefore your medication will have no or less effect. for example, think about the reason why u must take your antibiotics in the time specified.

i do not know about your daily life, however it will be a good thing to go out of your house to see the greens or something refreshing. if you can do exercises that will be even better. also, do not go to sleep hungry, or full (1 hr after having a meal) and hunger can be a reason of uncomfort when sleeping. and going to bed full just make u fat and might cause a bit discomfort.

to have a better chance of not waking up after a few hours of sleep, make sure u do not drink excessive amount of water before sleeping, and have a good toilet break before sleeping. you can try listening to some easy and relaxing music while sleeping, as some people do find it easier to fall asleep with some noise or music. or try your lighting in your bedroom, you and test out what brightness u can sleep best in. and to be more detailed, the temperature in your room.

hope this helps.

have a nice day, James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Yes. I have the same problem. I suffer from chronic pain and also cannot sleep cause of pain. It has to be pain cause I know that. I have never had any sleeping problems before this chronic pain started.

How long has this been going on (this insomnia you have?).???

Where is your pain located?
Before you had this chronic pain, were you able to sleep o.k----that is a VERY important question!!!

I used to be on 4 mg clonazepam and it worked. I used to be able to sleep for 5 hours without waking up. But it stopped working. 2 mg clonazepam, 3 mg clonazepam didn't put me to sleep. It had to be 4mg.
So perhaps, instead of mixing so many meds you can take only clonazepam and that's it.

Also, are you taking pain medications, cause they can interfere with sleep.

I have been suffering like that for 7 years already.

have you tried Restoril?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

Skysun HB User

Hi,
Please donot exceed dose of sleeping pills. It often iinfluences to liver function sooner or later. I think you neeed more physical activity than before.
Have a nice dream

Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

mszach HB User

Thanks (guys/gals) for the helpful insight. Stress is a huge problem for me and I always tend to think worst case scenario, like fatal insomnia, wish I'd never read about it on the net. I was able to get (a very broken) 7 hours of sleep last night by taking a 150 mg trazadone, instead of the 75 mg I normally take. I refuse to increase my dose of klonopin until I talk to my doctor. I have plenty extra but with benzos, less is always better, even if it means less sleep. I was actually on 6 mg a day of klonopin at one time, I usually only took 4 to 5 though. Fortunately, I've been able to get my dose down significantly, although it's been very hard because benzos cause extreme dependency (not addiction in my case) I don't think I could handle a 4 mg dose (now) because I take pain meds too.

Actually, my pain is much worse when I am sitting or standing, when I'm lying down, it tends to decrease a lot. So pain usually isn't an issue when it comes to sleep. I'm 41 now and have had insomnia since my mid 20's. I do take hydrocodone, around 30-40 mg a day and yes, it can cause insomnia. My pain doctor is thinking of switching me to a long-acting pain medication. I would be willing to try anything except methadone, I hope he doesn't recommend that.

I actually did exercise yesterday, got on the stationary bike and went about 2 miles, it's as much as I can handle and even that was tough. I normally eat a light snack before bed, usually fruit or yogurt.

You're right Skysun, pills are tough on the kidneys and liver! I never take more then what my doctor prescribes unless I'm super desperate, maybe once every other month.

Thanks again for the information!!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
(female)

Skysun HB User

You re welcome. One other thing you may try : meditation and autotraining for relaxing .Full body massage and chi exercises must help too. But, they help by time ,not as soon as tablets do.

I m a medical doctor. Nowadays we often hear such problems .whatever comes to us we must face in life and move on. So, forget your hurtful moments ,issues .Our brain can do everything ! Life is going on :-)

Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
(female)

Skysun HB User

You re welcome. One other thing you may try : meditation and autotraining for relaxing .Full body massage and chi exercises must help too. But, they help by time ,not as soon as tablets do.

I m a medical doctor. Nowadays we often hear such problems .whatever comes to us we must face in life and move on. So, forget your hurtful moments ,issues .Our brain can do everything ! Life is going on :-)

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
(female)

Skysun HB User

Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Are you serious?, you are you from Mongolia? Over there in Mongolia, mszach, they don't prescribe naroctics for pain!. They don't prescribe hydrocodone or anything.
Same goes with effective sleeping pills....They don't have Restoril and Xyrem for people who CANNOT SLEEP AT NIGHT AT ALL.

If you were living in Mongolia you will have to DEAL with the chronic pain you have.
Also, some people really need sleeping pills, for example, I cannot fall asleep at all cause when I lay down I am in severe pain.

You want long acting narcotic in Mongolia??? In your dreams.

Mongolia. Imagine living with chronic pain there.

Last edited by nochange; 11-08-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
(female)

shahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB User

hello ..

i feel you are worried about the results of your medication and possible issues and consequences. this might indeed bring insomnia.

in a similar situation, i v chronic pain. it s not severe at night .. but i cant sleep too. i think it is because of being worried about my work. i want to do a good job and thinking about the consequence of my pain might keep me awake.

maybe we should try solving our sleep problems by some deep focus on ourselves..

take care :x:x

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
(female)

Skysun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Are you serious?, you are you from Mongolia? Over there in Mongolia, mszach, they don't prescribe naroctics for pain!. They don't prescribe hydrocodone or anything.
Same goes with effective sleeping pills....They don't have Restoril and Xyrem for people who CANNOT SLEEP AT NIGHT AT ALL.

If you were living in Mongolia you will have to DEAL with the chronic pain you have.
Also, some people really need sleeping pills, for example, I cannot fall asleep at all cause when I lay down I am in severe pain.

You want long acting narcotic in Mongolia??? In your dreams.

Mongolia. Imagine living with chronic pain there.
Hi, Nochange ! (Why even the user name is such " dark" . We- Mongolian doctors know what to prescribe and what to suggest to our clients. Seems, you really have sleeping problems since long ago.

Wish you nicer thoughts and nicer mood

Last edited by Skysun; 01-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's that simple. It's enough to see that in Mongolia they don't have Temazepam.

Temazepam you can get only in England, Ireland, United States, Canada, Australia and new zealand.
Same goes to narcotic pain medications in third world countries like India, Mongolia, China, Afganistan, Africa They let people suffer from pain.
When people have chronic pain or sleep issues in Mongolia you cannot prescribe them narcotic for pain cause it's against the law.

In Monglia and India and so on they don't even have Opana, not ms contin not nycinta and so on. some of those countries have Oxycontin but they only prescribe them for short period of time when a person has cancer (perhaps for couple of weeks). Even that is rare.

Last edited by nochange; 01-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
(female)

Skysun HB User

Hahaha..what a nonsense ! We have all painkillers and sleeping pills..)) Even if USA have all you need , why you re such upset and sounds unhappy,unpleasant.You must be healthiest person, if you think, you can get everything in your place.( By the way, anger and arrogance always lead to bad energy) I don t know what kind of idea you had about all those.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
(female)

shahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB User

hi dear, very similar situation to mine.

i have had chronic pain, but it s getting better so it is not an issue for sleep.. it s been a month that i have some insomnia, and cant sleep. and i feel so bad about it. i cant tell to my friends and colleagues, they ll react like i m crazy! i never never had any sleep problem. i exercise a lot very evening too.

for me, insomnia started when i was so much in pain and i felt my brain is so much in pain and i felt so much pain in my brain. then i couldnt sleep well. i went to a gp. and he gave me 5 sleeping pills and he asked me to see him in 2 weeks, i guess because he suspected that i might be depressed. but i dont think so. i dont know ..

i took the first 2 pills it was good and it helped. the last one didnt work . the whole night i was aware, but my body was slept! so i couldnt move but i was awake.

i dont really know the cause of my sleeping problems.

Closed Thread