It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
(male)

Ben7878 HB User
Question for narcoleptics

I've been dealing with an unexplained fatigue/tiredness for more than two years. Have ruled out anemia, vitamin D deficiency, low testosterone, and apnea. Now I'm wondering about narcolepsy--but that depends on how narcolepsy really manifests itself.

The stereotype of a narcoleptic is someone who just randomly falls asleep at various inopportune times. But what I've been reading lately suggests that isn't quite accurate. So I'm a bit confused. It appears that narcolepsy can merely be extreme sleepiness throughout the day, without the narcoleptic actually falling asleep. Is that true?

Virtually every day, I feel as if I've hardly slept the night before. I take an after-lunch nap every chance I get. The nap refreshes me for a few hours, but then I start dragging again. But I do NOT ever fall asleep unless I intend to.

I had a sleep study to rule out apnea, and it came back normal, except for the possibility that I might have restless leg syndrome (which I already knew). About once or twice a month, I deal with extremely fidgety legs, but it's nothing more than that. As far as I know, the study did not show any abnormal REM sleep. I do not have cataplexy or any other narcolepsy symptoms.

Any input from diagnosed narcoleptics? Am I misunderstanding the symptoms? Many thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User
Re: Question for narcoleptics

Hi there , I was diagnosed with EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness) which is not the same as narcolepsy , my mother has narcolepsy and she can fall asleep while eating dinner and go head down into her plate , with narcolepsy it is an uncontrollable urge to go to sleep and you will sleep no matter what or where the situation, my neuro told me to be careful driving and using sharp objects ,It's not something I have everyday but often , I try to keep some healthy energy fruit based drinks when I'm out , mine was caught on a sleep study.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
fatigue, narcolepsy, sleep disorders