It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

Spiritus HB User
Sleep Problems

Hi everyone,

Have always had a tough time falling asleep and wanted some advice. I usually fall asleep at around 4:00 - 4:30am and wake up at 11. I feel tired in the morning and sometimes "ill" (scratchy throat, allergies, etc). I know my sleep habits are unhealthy and I'm trying to change them but I do work overseas and just the general glow of devices keep me up. Stress is a factor since I can never seem to shut my mind down. I wish I could fall asleep at 1am the latest and wake up refreshed.

Can others relate?

Do you feel malaised and allergy-symptoms with similar sleep patterns?

Any advice?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

phoebe368 HB Userphoebe368 HB User
Re: Sleep Problems

Have you tried getting a sleep study (polysomnography) to diagnose your sleep problems? Ask your primary doc to refer you for one. My suspicion is that you have a sleep breathing disorder such as obstructive sleep apnea or upper airway resistance syndrome judging from your symptons of insomnia, allergy problems and racing thoughts. Your limbic system is in overdrive probably because you are having difficulty breathing at night - apnea events are like little suffocations, which is very harmful to your nervous system. Your brain will not let you fall asleep easily because it is hyperaroused, hence the insomnia and racing thoughts. Your tongue is probably collapsing backwards in your airway due to the negative pressure in your throat from the apnea events which is the reason behind your itchy throat feeling. I'm mentioning this because I had the exact same problem as you and was puzzled for the longest time until I got a sleep study which diagnosed me with sleep apnea.

Last edited by phoebe368; 04-12-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread