HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sleep Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/)
-   -   going cold turkey from seroquel (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/945303-going-cold-turkey-seroquel.html)

cetiya 04-05-2013 01:13 AM

going cold turkey from seroquel

so i've been on seroquel for sleep (1000 mg , yes, 1000 mg!) for ten years and my insurance has made it impossible for me to afford. last year i paid 12.50 dollars, starting january, my insurance will not cover it until i paid 1500 bucks out of pocket. they were gonna charge me 700 dollars for one month and after picking myself off the floor and stopped yelling long enough, they lowered it to 240.00. i tried Astra-zenica for help but they said i make too much money. so after all these years, i'm going cold turkey. i'm terrified and am not sure i can do it but i have 5 days off this week so here i go. i figure i wont be able to sleep for at least three days, then maybe i can get a couple of hours a sleep after that. i have a very stressful job and need my sleep to stay on top of my game. i was gonna try it when i had more days off but am unable to wait any longer. there is no way i can afford it this month and i am mentally ready to get off this drug, it has ruined my health in so many ways. i could use some support, i live alone and have noone to support me, and i'm sure having insane insomnia will be very hard.

Canuck65 04-06-2013 05:32 AM

Re: going cold turkey from seroquel

I don't think you should quit cold turkey - speak to your doctor or at least your pharmacist about tapering off. I'm surprised you've been given such a high dosage. My psychiatrist had been talking about putting me on a low dose of seroquel to help me sleep but it wasn't anywhere near 1000. I don't know the side effects but I'm just concerned that if you've been on it a long time, stopping abruptly could be dangerous.

cetiya 04-06-2013 05:44 AM

i've run out before and all that really happens is i just cant sleep, for days and days. i havent been without seroquel for 10 years. it has runined my health, i got really fat, my triglyceride level went sky high and i have diabetes. all noted side effects from the drug. i could only get 5 days off from work, so i want to get this done asap. the drug is killing me and i seriously cant afford it anymore. stupid insurance. maybe this will be a good thing in the end, if i can do it. it will be hard cos i have lots of pills left, maybe i'll take one pill every 8 hours, that would only be 200 mg. i dont know. i guess i'll see if i can stand not sleeping for days.

Canuck65 04-06-2013 09:36 AM

I'm not questioning your desire to get off the drug, just concerned about stopping so suddenly. So take care of yourself.

cetiya 04-06-2013 04:42 PM

Thank you for your concern! If something feels wrong, I have plenty of seroquel left, ill just take a
Pill or two. I know benzos are dangerous to go cold turkey on but not sure about seroque. Guess ill find out!

cetiya 04-08-2013 04:52 AM

4:46 am. Decided to get some tacos from jack in the box. I've dosed off here and there and I've taken two pills, (400 mg) since Friday. Boy its tempting to take some pills and get some real sleep. But other than being really tired I'm ok. Haven't eaten or drank much but that wont kill me. I can't wait to see if I can lose weight when I'm off this drug. I am getting sick of tv and reading!!

Canuck65 04-08-2013 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=cetiya;5158871]4:46 am. Decided to get some tacos from jack in the box. I've dosed off here and there and I've taken two pills, (400 mg) since Friday. Boy its tempting to take some pills and get some real sleep. But other than being really tired I'm ok. Haven't eaten or drank much but that wont kill me. I can't wait to see if I can lose weight when I'm off this drug. I am getting sick of tv and reading!![/QUOTE]

Even if you don't feel like eating or drinking, try tom ake sure you do - don't want your body to get dyhdrated and getting some food into might help you feel less tired - worry about the weight loss later, just focus on getting through the detox safely. Take care.

cetiya 04-09-2013 05:08 AM

The days and nights are endless when you don't sleep. I've watched all the tv I can stand and same with reading. I think ill cheat and take two pills. I've only taken three pills since Friday_ I just need some sleep. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I could take a hot bath instead. I only have two more days off then somehow I have to work 12 hour.
Shifts. Can I work with no sleep? Guess ill find out

Canuck65 04-10-2013 06:48 AM

How are you doing? Are you hanging in?

cetiya 04-10-2013 07:01 AM

I'm bored out of my skull. I need sleep but all I can do is doze a little. I wish I had more days off, I don't see how I can do well on no sleep. This is my last day off.
Thanks for asking!

Canuck65 04-10-2013 03:43 PM

take care of yourself I'm sure it will get better as your body adjusts.

cetiya 04-12-2013 10:59 PM

well that was an epic failure! after going days without sleep i gave up and took some pills to help me sleep. its almost impossible to go without sleep when you have a big bottle of sleep i mean pills! i had to go to work and cant work without sleep. i guess this will be tougher than i thought, i knew 5 days wouldnt cut it. but failure is not an option in this case. i suppose i can try to go without on my days off and cut back, instead of 4-5 pills a night every night, i can take three on the days i work and suffer on my days off. another option is to see my doc and get put on some sleep medicine that i can afford, temporarily. i cant take the normal meds, ambein makes me crazy and do crazy stuff and other things dont work on me. benedry, melatonin, those do not work at all. if i could only sleep. oh well. something has to give, i cant live without the drugs and cant live with them.

Canuck65 04-13-2013 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=cetiya;5161201]well that was an epic failure! after going days without sleep i gave up and took some pills to help me sleep. its almost impossible to go without sleep when you have a big bottle of sleep i mean pills! i had to go to work and cant work without sleep. i guess this will be tougher than i thought, i knew 5 days wouldnt cut it. but failure is not an option in this case. i suppose i can try to go without on my days off and cut back, instead of 4-5 pills a night every night, i can take three on the days i work and suffer on my days off. another option is to see my doc and get put on some sleep medicine that i can afford, temporarily. i cant take the normal meds, ambein makes me crazy and do crazy stuff and other things dont work on me. benedry, melatonin, those do not work at all. if i could only sleep. oh well. something has to give, i cant live without the drugs and cant live with them.[/QUOTE]

What about talking to your doctor about slowly tampering off the seroquel? Is there anyway you can appeal the insurer's decision particularly if you say trying to taper off and replace with another sleeping drug? Does clonazapam work for you? What about getting a second opinion from another doctor about your situation?. I don't know your history but 1000 is a lot. My pyschiatrist had talked to me about putting on a low dose of seroquel (100 or so) and she told me she uses only very high doses when treating schizophrenics so I'm surprised that a doctor would let your dose get so high.

cetiya 04-13-2013 09:32 PM

i didnt start out on this dose, its taken years of increasing the dosage to just the right one to work, i dont react normally to most drugs, and its always taken the highest dose of whatever to work. during my worst time on ambien, i was starting out at 30 mg and just kept taking pills until i was up to 100 mg a day. so most sleeping drugs that can work, just dont on normal doseages. and i cant become addicted to sleeping meds again, it was a nightmare. i wouldnt mind tapering, but i just cant afford any more meds. i think on my days off i'll only take one or two pills and only three on the nights i work. that will cut it back, if i can get to two pills a day i would have gone from 180 pills a month to 60 still not enough. i've been reading on seroquel withdrawals and i havent experienced anything like that, even after a day or two, some people really suffer, like opiate withdrawals. i didnt feel any way near that bad but maybe i didnt go long enough. i was mostly bored for being up for days. sigh. i wont have any more time to take off work, so i cant really stop right now, but maybe if i can get my body used to no pills on my days off and only two or three on the days i work, maybe that will help. going from 5 pills a day to a couple was easy, no withdrawals. i have the next four days off so i'll try to cut way back. its all i can do. thanks for caring!

cetiya 04-23-2013 05:08 AM

Well here I go again. Only this time failure is not an option.
I have 27 200 mg pills left. After them, I will not have the money for any more, plus I had to see my doc first, before I could get a refill, and I don't have the money for that either. No matter what, I will have to survive without sleep and have to work too. I'm very nervous!