It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2000, 08:07 PM   #1

Piper HB User
Post hallucinations with ambien?

Hi everyone, I suffer from severe insomnia. I've been taking Ambien lately. It's doing something strange to me. I have these weird hallucinations.

You guys are probably just thinking, she's a crazy old fruit. But I'm not crazy, and the hallucinations are for only an hour or so. They've frightened so badly at times that I've made my husband stay right by my side until I fall asleep.

These hallucinations may be more of a visual distortion of shapes, colors, shadows, movement etc... but there have been times that I thought I saw elephants in my closet (feel free to giggle about that, it's very silly), there have been times when I've seen people sitting beside my fire place, my curtains seem to move and sway very drastically and one that's very common is seeing people's silhouettes dancing on my walls.

Like I said, I'm most sure alot of these are just distorted visuals but it's really freaking me out.

Have you guys had any experiences with this stuff?

Piper

Old 12-16-2000, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive

korken HB User
Unhappy

Piper, My husband had nightmares, really scarry ones for him. Yes we have heard of this happening, you should tell your doctor if you haven't already maybe they can try a differnt brand. All drugs can do weird things and your not crazy. Good luck, Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2000, 09:45 PM   #3

Soni HB User
Unhappy

Hi I also take Ambien, and I have been taking it since February but thank goodness I have not had the problems that you all are describing. I have always had nighmares or nighthorses as my wonderful father use to say, and I had those long before I started taking ambien. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope things get better for you.
Happy holidays to all.

Old 12-17-2000, 11:08 AM   #4
opalina

Lightbulb

When I first started getting all of my sleeping issues treated with Meds, I had kooky dreams like you are describing. I was waking up during a rem cycle hourly (to the minute) and could not distinguish reality from dream without trying to feel it. I say all this because maybe it's not the Ambien, but the beginning of actual sleep that you are not used too. You said you have insomnia, a very broad term! I have multiple health issues that affect my sleep treating those has helped me sleep. If you have PLMS (restless legs) fibromyalgia, or PCOS. Let me know, I'll be happy to share my experiences with you!

------------------

Old 12-17-2000, 01:47 PM   #5

KITTY HB User
Hi Piper. Ambien has the same effect on me, but not as bad. This was VERY disturbing at first, seeing my pillows and blankets settling in with me for the night. But now I like it, it's a comforting sign that the Ambien is working and sleep is soon to come. The important thing to focus on is that it's just a side effect of the medication, and to relax because you'll be sleeping soon.

Old 12-17-2000, 05:34 PM   #6
Inactive

korken HB User
Smile

Opalina, Did you say you had FMS? If so hope to see you on that board, Kim Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-19-2000, 12:13 PM   #7
Victoria

Smile

I've not had hallucinations with Ambien, but I did when I was first prescribed Fiorcet for migraines.

It may be because the medication is new to you. But, if this problem DOESN'T go away, ask your doctor to switch you to something else. There is a sleep aid called Prosom, which worked very well for me. Good Luck!

Closed Thread