It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2001, 12:02 AM   #1

triumph92 HB User
Exclamation Death of Friend

Two weeks ago, My best friend was very violently murdered. Her parents did not want to identify her body, so they asked me and my other friend to do it. She died of a gunshot wound through the back of her head, so a lot of her face was missing. Since then I havent really slept more than a few hours a night. When i start to fall asleep. i have nightmares, but they arent really nightmares, i just see her in my mind, and i will start moving around, and making noises, and then i will finaly twitch real hard, and make a noise and wake up. I cant take melatonin, cuz i have bad reactions to it(i know this from the past), and i dont want to take sleeping pills. Is there anything that i can do to help myself sleep. natural ways, without seing a shrink, ive done that many times before in my life. i mean like meditation or anything like that? anything i can drink. exersices? any help would be great. thanks.

Old 01-30-2001, 09:26 PM   #2

lukec HB User
triumph,
I would say start taking vitamin b 50 mg a day,, this could very well help your sleep patterns,, also this is probably anxiety due to this horrible numbing experience,,
try saying a pray before sleep by sitting up and praying for sleep,, find good scripture or even phrases that enlighten you and keep your eyes closed as you sit up and repeat these phrases,, while you repeat one time, inhale,, repeat again and exhale,, do this for about 20 to 30 minutes then try to sleep, hope this helps

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2001, 01:05 AM   #3

triumph92 HB User
THANKS A LOT MAN

Old 02-16-2001, 05:10 AM   #4

dharley HB User
I am so very sorry that this has happened to you. I am having almost the same problem. My grandmother passed away the first week of January and I was the last family member to see her alive. One week after her funeral, my cousin attempted suicide and was life lined to one of the hospitals here. He is still alive but all the emotional trauma has taken it's toll on me and I was having nightmares, etc. and not able to stay asleep during the night. I was alos experiencing mild panic attacks when I would wake up. I called my dr. who prescribed Restoril but I couldn't take that for more than a couple of days...it made me feel very strange during the day. I am now taking Ambien...only a half. It helps me get to sleep and helps me stay asleep without feeling weird the next day. Melatonin didn't work for me either. My thoughts are with you! Doreen

Old 02-16-2001, 06:47 AM   #5

dharley HB User
I forgot to mention that I also tried meditation before I went to bed and also tried taking Valerian Root and Kava Kava pills (natural sleep aids), neither of which worked for me. I also tried different types of tea. I guess that some of this works for others but I personally had to get a prescribed sleep aid to help me. This is a very traumatic thing that has happened to you and perhaps a sleep aid...on a temporary basis will help you get back into your normal sleep pattern. I know that you don't want to try sleep aids but perhaps talking to your family physician would help. Again, I am sorry for your loss and am just sharing my information with you. I hope that you have someone to talk to about this...friends maybe? I thought I was going to have a nervpus breakdown after my grandmothers passing and then my cousin attempting suicide. I visit him almost every other day and saw him the night this happened. It is a horrible vision I will never forget. Please talk to someone about your feelings. This may help. Doreen

Old 03-03-2001, 12:43 AM   #6
Inactive

krisyd HB User
Thumbs up

Triumph and Harley, I am so sorry for the tragedies you both have had to deal with. The reality behind this is what Luke mentioned. Ask and you shall receive! Seek God! Only satan produces a spirit of fear or confusion. I've been through a few tramatic situations, and found that only the Lord Jesus Christ was able to give me the peace that passes all understanding, and I was able to go on. All the thoughts and dreams that haunt you could be removed without even being able to remember what they were about. Our friends can help, but only God knows our heart and he can totally heal.... We just need to ask him into our life!! Life in the world is so hard and cruel sometimes, but i feel protected and loved even when I am a lone, I know God is there. This is where I finally found total healing after 32 years! God Bless You. Keep in mind that only a few of us go through tramatic experiences in life, and I believe it is the Lord's plan because He knows what we can handle, and he may have allowed us to go through these things in order to prepare us to be able to help other people in the future. the other side of the coin is of course bad choices. I've been there too! Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your path. God Bless you both

Closed Thread