It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2001, 03:34 PM   #1

EL HB User
Unhappy paralysis buzzing in ears upon falling asleep, plus terror

Wondering if anyone out there has ever had this happen to you.
Upon falling asleep I sometimes go into a stage where I hear a loud buzzing, fluttering sound. I get a tingling in my head, then I can't move..I know what is happening to me but I can't get out of it. When I can finally get my foot to move I can begin to pull out of it, but sometimes I fall right back into it over and over till I just get up and walk around for a bit. It is very terrifying.. I have experienced this since I was about 16 years old.
Please e-mail me if you suffer from this at seelvira@rocketmail.com
Thanks

Old 03-12-2001, 05:53 PM   #2

cm HB User
You need to look into narcolepsy. People think it's only people who fall down asleep during the daytime. Not everyone does. Sleep paralysis upon falling asleep or wakening is part of it. There's like 4 parts to narcolepsy, and you don't have to have all 4. I get the dreaming upon falling asleep and the daytime sleepiness and the occasional auditory/visual hallucination upon awakening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2001, 12:45 AM   #3

Dusty HB User
Talking

Hi El,
I have experienced sleep paralysis and strange noises at the onset of sleep. Often I think I heard something crash to the floor and wake up startled. I also was plagued for many years with hypnagogic hallucinations, that is when you partially waken but not completely, and your dream takes place right in front of your eyes in your own bedroom. I have seen some pretty scarey stuff in my bedroom! This began for me when I was a teenager and continued until I was in my early thirties, now it only happens to me rarely, usually if I am extremely over-tired.
I went to a sleep clinic once and they explained my problem to me. I was told that some people will go direstly into REM sleep right after they nod off. Most folks are asleep for a while before this happens. When you are in REM you are dreaming and when you are dreaming your brain turns off your ability to move. This is to protect the dreamer from thrashing about or perhaps even jumping out of bed. Can you imagine dreaming you were being chased and waken to realize that you are running down the road.
So this paralysis is actually a good thing, although it is scarey when you can't move, I know.
I was asked at this clinic if I dream when I nap, which I do, they said this was indicative of someone who goes directly into REM. They told me I do not have narcolepsy. You might ease your fears by talking to your doctor.
I hope this helps, atleast you know you're not alone. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2001, 03:55 AM   #4

MarkyMark HB User
Hi,
I have the EXACT same thing as you do and I've had it since I was a child ( Im 30 now ) I have had two sleep studies done on me, one was for sleep apnea and one for narcolepsy, turns out I have narcolepsy and aside from ALWAYS feeling sleepy, I also experience those terrifying symptoms that you do, I know it is very scary, however its not life threatening so dont worry, you might want to consider having your Dr send you to a sleep study clinic. Hope this helps.

------------------

Old 03-16-2001, 04:10 AM   #5

Arthur HB User
Hello. I have also had two sleep studies. The doctor told me that this sleep paralisis is somewhat common and all you discribe about falling asleep is very common for this. You are asleep but at the stage you should not be yet; dream. Where you are not supose tobe able to move and you hear and may see things because of this. Research it on the net. You'll find lots and also ask your doctors. Don't be scarred this is all part of this type sleep disterbance. I had the Apnea surgery a while back, great, but hurt like the devil.

Arthur

Old 03-16-2001, 06:48 AM   #6

EL HB User
Cool

Hi, Dusty, Markymark and Arthur,
Thank you for replying. I take comfort in your experiences. I always knew I was not alone with this thing. Dusty, I too dream when taking naps. I do not believe I have sleep apnea or the like, as I do not suffer from the other symptoms.
I do have a thought on the matter though.
I always wondered why it began at the age of 16 for me. I experimented with drugs until the age of 23. I wonder if I did not create a hot spot in the brain. Just a thought.
Along with you, I am in my 30's and still have this happen to me. At times I am overly tired or stressed when it happens.I have learned to roll with it, but it is still spooky. Thanks again!

Old 03-17-2001, 04:57 PM   #7

Dusty HB User
Talking

Hi El,
I can't say for sure if drugs had anything to do with your sleep problem or not. But my Grandma had that same problem I did. She also out grew it. So I hope that eases your mind a bit.
Take Care.
Dusty

Closed Thread