It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2002, 05:53 PM   #1

LynnKBF HB User
Question Sleep Apnea and weight

I've recently been diagnosed with OSA. I know it's often said that overweight people develop OSA. I believe I've had this for years. (Always falling asleep during lectures in college etc... memory is terrible and has been forever). I am wondering if others believe sleep apnea CAUSES you to be overweight. Am also wondering if this overweightness often seems to be around the middle. Also, anyone on CPAP that's lost a significant amount of weight? I go get my CPAP tomorrow morning. Thanks! Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2002, 03:56 PM   #2

Whatzsleep? HB User
I have been on a CPAP machine for 7yrs. I am very bad about using it, and I know I should. I have gained alot of weight since I started having really bad insomnia. My respiratory therapist told me that when a person wakes up all night long that it causes an imbalance in the chemicals in your brain that regulate things such as metabolism. It can slow your metabolism down by 40%. This makes since for as little as I eat I am still very overweight. I have found that I have to exercise alot more to compensate for my slow metabolism. By doing so I have managed to lose 40lbs. And I do sleep better, even though I can;t get through the night without waking up about 50 times. Which is good because one sleep study I woke up 600 times.I also see a dietician which really helps. Keeping a food journal helps me see what I really put in my mouth. A person can be amazed at how many calories they really consume during a 24hr period. Try keeping a journal and walking a 30 minutes a day and increase it as you can. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #3

KAR HB User
A source of information for you on weight loss and sleep apnea and CPAP machines may be to read information from message boards that have to do with gastric by-pass surgery or bariatric surgery. I suggest this ONLY as a possible source of information for you on the correlation between weight loss and sleep apnea. What I do know is that sleep apnea is one of the co-morbidies the insurance company considers when deciding if they will pay for that particular surgery. I have heard of people getting off their CPAP machines after losing alot of weight but I personally have not had the experience of the CPAP machine.

When I had my sleep study done about 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder and Sleep Apnea. However, since I only slept 2 1/2 hours during my study, they could not document that I stopped breathing enough times for the insurance company to even consider renting a machine for me let alone buying one. (I missed it by 2) I had to come up with other ways to deal with the sleep apnea part of my sleep disorder other than the CPAP. My ENT did one proceedure to help. The other thing I did was gastric bypass and I lost 110 lbs. Please do not think that I am advocating this as a procedure that you or anyone should do. I chose the precedure for myself for other reasons besides the sleep apnea and I know I should go back to have another sleep study done to see if the sleep apnea is still an issue with my sleep disorders.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:42 AM   #4

lekeener HB User
I work in a sleep lab and primarily does sleep apnea testing. Sleep Apnea is caused by the closing of the throat during sleep due to the relaxing of the throat muscles and the soft palette blocking the airway. Being overweight only makes this problem worse and the sleep apnea may or may not go away with weight loss depending on you particular physiology. Many people with sleep apnea do gain weight due to a slow down in metabolism as well as just not having the energy to move around much or depression brought on by the sleep depravation caused by sleep apnea. In any case any weight loss can only help the condition if not complete cure it. I have lost 25 pound and have noticed a differance in my Sleep Apnea. Hope this helps. Later

Old 08-04-2002, 08:26 PM   #5
Inactive

Ragamuffin HB User
Sleep apnea will not generate weight gain. Allergic toxicity will cause edema, the puffy look,with weight gain, and also, may cause sleep apnea. Specifically caffeine, nicotine, or a theophylline allergy. Eliminate the stimulants, and sleep apnea should disappear.
God bless.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 AM   #6

lekeener HB User
This is in response to the post of Ragamuffin in this thread. Every sleep specilist that my sleep lab uses will tell you that most sleep apnea patient do tend to be overweight and this is generally brought on by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain that slows down the metabolism, hence alot of apnea patient do tend to gain weight. Also sleep apnea can cause depression and some patient may tend to eat more due to this depression, it is documented in more than 1 study that depressed people can compensate for depression by eating more. Like I said in this thread before weight loss can only help this condition but it may or may not eliminate it since there are other consideration about the physilogy of your particular throat sturtures.

Old 09-10-2002, 11:09 PM   #7

Spectrumangel HB User
Smile

I have been on a c-pap for about 2 months now. What a huge differance it makes for me. I have lost some wieght and I was at 328. I have lost 20 lbs in 2 months. I have been waiting to get this machine for two years.I Thank God every night for giving me this gift
of air into my body. My poor red blood cells were starving. I have my setting at low a seven I think and I look forward to being assured that when I stop breathing I have a helper helping me.

Old 09-11-2002, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Lynn, I had sleep apnea, memory problems, fatigue and weight gain, all caused by my hypothyroidism. If you have not had your thyroid checked, you should, because this problem is very often overlooked. Good luck

Closed Thread