It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2002, 04:02 AM   #1

Esoteric HB User
Post BiPap problems

I haven't been able to adjust to my BiPap. I'm afraid of discussing this with the Doctor again because I can tell he's frustrated.
Initially I had a CPAP and got to where I could sleep for about 4 hours with it. After four hours it would begin to blow my cheeks out and make me swallow air.
So we switched to a BiPAP. My first machine was so loud I could hardly ever sleep with it, but I could adjust the dials a bit, just tweak them, and I could breathe pretty well. so, I had to wait a couple of months while they waited for a new machine to arrive that would be quieter. Then it was like starting all over. I always felt like the inhale setting was too high, because during my first hour of sleep, all of a sudden I'd wake up because I couldn't exhale. It's like the machine would do 2 inhales in a row and I'd wake up and sit up really fast. Then that would be it for the night, I couldn't put it back on.
So, we did another sleep study. I dutifully brought my machine in with me, but the technician informed me that they wouldn't use my machine. They would use theres to calculate the settings and then the company that rented me the bipap would set the settings on my machine accordingly. So, I waited another month for the correct settings.
Well, just as I fall asleep, it won't let me exhale and I wake up. I have it set so that it takes 20 min to get up to full power. I've looked at the clock, laid down, and exactly 20 min later I about fly out of bed because it won't let me breathe. I know he won't change the settings because that's where the sleep study put me. BUT, they didn't do the study on my machine and there could be a difference even if there isn't supposed to be.
I'm SO tired! I have wasted so much time trying to get used to the nose plugs etc again. I mean, sometimes I wake up and my nose just hurts. It will hurt for a few days, and I just don't want to put the pillows back in. I found that the face mask always leaked.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these things to work?

------------------
Esoteric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2003, 03:11 AM   #2

remcatcher2004 HB User
What could possibly be going on is you are having sleep-onset central apnea. This is quite common when first starting C-PAP (Bi-PAP). Just as you start to drift of to sleep, the brain basically tells the body not to breath. This symptom will go away. Usually not last more than 1-2 weeks. Be hard headed and keep trying. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #3

jelato HB User
Re: BiPap problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric
I haven't been able to adjust to my BiPap. I'm afraid of discussing this with the Doctor again because I can tell he's frustrated.
Initially I had a CPAP and got to where I could sleep for about 4 hours with it. After four hours it would begin to blow my cheeks out and make me swallow air.
So we switched to a BiPAP. My first machine was so loud I could hardly ever sleep with it, but I could adjust the dials a bit, just tweak them, and I could breathe pretty well. so, I had to wait a couple of months while they waited for a new machine to arrive that would be quieter. Then it was like starting all over. I always felt like the inhale setting was too high, because during my first hour of sleep, all of a sudden I'd wake up because I couldn't exhale. It's like the machine would do 2 inhales in a row and I'd wake up and sit up really fast. Then that would be it for the night, I couldn't put it back on.
So, we did another sleep study. I dutifully brought my machine in with me, but the technician informed me that they wouldn't use my machine. They would use theres to calculate the settings and then the company that rented me the bipap would set the settings on my machine accordingly. So, I waited another month for the correct settings.
Well, just as I fall asleep, it won't let me exhale and I wake up. I have it set so that it takes 20 min to get up to full power. I've looked at the clock, laid down, and exactly 20 min later I about fly out of bed because it won't let me breathe. I know he won't change the settings because that's where the sleep study put me. BUT, they didn't do the study on my machine and there could be a difference even if there isn't supposed to be.
I'm SO tired! I have wasted so much time trying to get used to the nose plugs etc again. I mean, sometimes I wake up and my nose just hurts. It will hurt for a few days, and I just don't want to put the pillows back in. I found that the face mask always leaked.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these things to work?

------------------
Esoteric
Out of all your problems, the only one I can offer is about the leaking mask. Make sure the thing isnt too big, mine used to float all over my face. I had to insist on a small/petite mask to basically just cover my big nose :O)

t works wonderfully.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #4

nubby HB User

I had a similar experience. biPAP was difficult for me to tolerate. We tried all kinds of settings and nothing really worked, I would wake up gasping for air and ripping off my mask. I think now that I was having bad obstructive apnea episodes despite the therapy. My doc switched me to a "flex" machine, specifically the RemStar Pro with cflex. I find that tremendously more comfortable, kind of like a gentle biPAP. It doesn't blow out my cheeks or make me swallow air.

Old 05-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Inactive

jeh rpsgt HB User

Just an idea...

Your breaths actually control the BiPAP machine. So if you have even a small airleak around your mask, it will not change pressures properly.

Closed Thread