It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 AM   #1
(female)

anilorak HB User
Question All I do is sleep! whats wrong with me? PLZ help!

I have this problem too! It's gotten so much worse since I've come to college though. I guess I don't have mom and dad yelling at me to go to sleep anymore so I don't even think about it.

I go to bed around 3am, if not later, every night and CAN'T get up in the morning, even if its 11am or 12pm! A few days ago, I slept through 4 alarm clocks after 7 hours of sleep! I usually have two alarm clocks set up and they go off within a few minutes of eachother. One is across the room. Here's what I do.. it goes off-I get out of bed-I press the snooze button-climb back into bed-fall back asleep-wake up to the second alarm clock-press that snooze button-and sleep for another few minutes until the cycle repeats itself over and over for two hours at a time sometimes. I don't know whats wrong with me.

As soon as I wake up... the only thought that gets me going is that I can come home and take a nap between classes. I usually take one or two naps a day no matter how much, or how little sleep I get. It's out of control. This sleep thing is hurting my relationships and it's such a waste of time. I don't even have a TV, but this takes more time out of my day anyway!

The only thing that ever gets me out of bed on weekends is knowing that other people will think I'm lazy and will give me a hard time. Nothing else does it. No matter what noises go on around me, how much I have to pee, or how bright my room is.. I can easily slip back asleep for hours.

I've always thought that if I got put in a controlled sleep-study room which was completely dark, silent and had no alarm clock, I could easily sleep for 30 hours or more. I would just keep waking up and falling back asleep.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Red face

I would love to know too! My boyfriend has the same problem....he can't hold anything other than a night job, because he can never wake up at a specific time. Sometimes, he wont wake up until like 4 in the afternoon, even if he has gone to bed at 11pm, and he will sleep through 3 alarms! I think that if there was a fire in the house, I wouldn't be able to wake him up to get him out. He would probably burn to death without even waking up. He has fallen out of the bed, and not even waken up when he hit the floor, and when it happens, I can't wake him up to get him back in the bed. If he falls to sleep in the car while we're driving, I have to leave him in the car because I can't wake him. When I try to wake him up, he becomes very violent, yells, curses at me, and will flail his arms sometimes (he has even busted my lip open by punching me in his sleep while I was trying to wake him), but will not wake up, and never remembers me trying to wake him up, or telling me to go away or cursing me or anything. He doesn't have insurance and we don't have much money, so he hasn't seen a doctor, but I'm terribley afraid this is a sign of a serious medical problem. This is putting a serious strain on our relationship, and I don't know what to do....

Old 05-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #3

ozark HB User
it sounds like you may have sleep apnea....my 21 yr old son has it.....it was very difficult to wake him up in the morning....then i notice one night i went to his room and at times he would snore but for the most part he would stop breathing....you could see him trying to breath but no air went in then he'd gasp for air....and he'd never even wake up....it sounds like you need a sleep apnea study where you go to a clinic and sleep ....they monitor your breathing as your hooked up to a heart monitor and another monitor....painless.....i recommend you speak to your dr and let him kknow and ask him about it....are you overweight at all? cos that is a contributing factor...my son is and has a double chin.....good luck

Old 05-16-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
(female)

anilorak HB User
I'm not overweight. I'm actually underweight if anything so I don't think thats it.

I forgot to mention that I'm an extremely heavy sleeper at night. I'm a resident advisor in a dormitory and at 2 in the morning, about a half hour after I went to sleep, a smoke detector was going off for no reason in a room just down the hall. Those things are EXTREMELY loud. Half the girls on my floor woke up and were POUNDING on my door for help. None of that chaos even woke me up. The next morning people were asking me if I hadn't come home that previous night, but in reality I just slept through it all.

Old 05-20-2003, 05:23 AM   #5

ozark HB User
you dont have to be overweight to have apnea...my son is a very deep sleeper too...you could put a bomb under him and he wouldnt wake up...

Old 05-20-2003, 09:44 AM   #6

confusedbody HB User
I have the same sleeping problem, except that my alarm is a 3-yr-old. I am a 21-yr-old female and have apnea. I am not overweight and I don't snore, but I definitely sleep like crap and don't become fully conscious until around noon. Before that I'm likely to fall back asleep if I'm not moving.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:58 AM   #7

maybell HB User
OMG I have that same problem! I'm a graduate student and probably for the past 4 years have been going to bed after 3am, I sometimes stay up until 8am...and the few times I go to bed early i still seem to get 12 hrs of sleep. My friends all tease me and I've tried staying up for 24 hrs and starting my sleep pattern over but it doesn't last for more than two days.. I'm graduating in August and need to fix my sleep so that I can get a real job...If u find out what it is let me know!!! Someone told me I'm just lazy, but I don't think that's it....

Closed Thread