It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #1

JS22 HB User
Question How do I get rid of Daytime sleepiness at the office?

Like the majority of us I too have to get up way early in the morning to be at work by 7 am, and I suffer severly to stay awake, besides going to sleep earlier do you all have any tips on relieving sleepiness, anything I can drink or eat to get rid of it because I have to sit at a desk for 8 hours and it sucks.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:04 AM   #2

texasbell HB User
Exclamation

hi,
get a sleep study done and a daytime sleep study. i have narcolepsy which was proved by a daytime sllep study. i had no energy during the day. going to meeting or sitting very long were really bad, i would be trying to go to sleep all the time. my sleep docter has me on provigil to help keep me awake during the day. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #3

erica79 HB User
I have the same problem and am a computer programmer. I find that I work best in the afternoon and evening hours but unfortunetly I have to work normal 9-5 hours. During the summer I am completely find and hardly have any problems with sleepiness during the day. But once the days get shorter and it's dark when I get up, it's like I find myself so tired during the day regardless of how long I sleep. I do have a sunrise clock which does help a little. The shorter the days get the more I have to fight to stay awake during daytime hours. On weekends I go to bed at 11:30p and wake up at 8p refreshed but during the week I go to bed at 10p and wake up at 6:30a I am so tired and get sleepy during the day despite I got the same hours of sleep.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

Cricket03 HB User
daytime sleepiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbell
hi,
get a sleep study done and a daytime sleep study. i have narcolepsy which was proved by a daytime sllep study. i had no energy during the day. going to meeting or sitting very long were really bad, i would be trying to go to sleep all the time. my sleep docter has me on provigil to help keep me awake during the day. good luck!

I have recently been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and use a cpap machine with a humidifier at night, and I have also recently been diagnosed with Narcalepsy, which I take Provigil for. They both seen to help, but not enough, I think. I will see the Doc next month again. Maybe he will have to adjust something.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:45 AM   #5

NEILRWALKER HB User
This might be a stupid question but what is a sunrise clock?

Neil

Old 11-19-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
Sleepyness during the day...I'd like a suggestion too. I sit at a computer all day..it gets difficult.
Upshutter

Old 11-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #7

danmc15 HB User
Re: How do I get rid of Daytime sleepiness at the office?

A sunrise clock is an alarm clock/light that works on a delayed timer and uses a full-spectrum lamp which gives light similar to sunlight as opposed to a normal lightbulb. You set it for a certain time that you want to awake, and then the timer will come on about 30 minutes before that time and the light will gradually get brighter, just like the sunrise.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:07 AM   #8

NEILRWALKER HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc15
A sunrise clock is an alarm clock/light that works on a delayed timer and uses a full-spectrum lamp which gives light similar to sunlight as opposed to a normal lightbulb. You set it for a certain time that you want to awake, and then the timer will come on about 30 minutes before that time and the light will gradually get brighter, just like the sunrise.

Thanks mate!!

Has anyone used one and it it worth buying?

Old 12-16-2003, 08:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I also have a desk job and find that the only thing that helps is to "pretend" i'm reading and I just close my eyes. Even if it's only for 5 minutes, I feel refreshed. I am situated where no one can really tell that my eyes are closed so it may not work for you! Getting outside to take a short walk is another way. Depends on how sleepy I am. Most people think they are too tired to exercise but what the truth is is that exercise invigarates you and helps you sleep better. good luck

Old 12-27-2003, 08:25 AM   #10

becky1954 HB User

my doc put me on provigil and that helps a lot.i don't have narcolepsy but it still seems to help.

Closed Thread