It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 05:11 AM   #1
(male)

Chezz HB User
Post Melatonin or Valerian Root or both?

Does anybody think it would be unwise to take both Melatonin and Valerian Root at the same time?

Old 06-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User
I take both - Melatonin to put me to sleep and
Valerian to keep me to sleep. I also take Phosphetytal Serine(sp?) to put me into phase 4 sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 AM   #3
(male)

Chezz HB User
Thanks Sunbird.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:11 AM   #4

jmb HB User
How much of valerian and melatonin do you take? I am coming off a remero/seroquel/Klonipin combo, and currently taking 8 mg Gabitril(2 weeks), which is doing nothing for my primary complaint of insomnia. I can't stand the side efeects, on top of not sleeping, and am desperatly seeking a sleep solution. I need sleep now. Thanks for any advice/info.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
(male)

Chezz HB User
Melatonin is 3 mg and Valerian Root is 1.59g of which the bottle says to take anywhere from 3 to 6. I usually take 3 and a few times took 4. I am amazed at how much better I've slept since I took both. I fall asleep better, don't wake up in the middle of the night and if I do, I go back to sleep easier along with sleeping later. I've had no side affects and would recommend to anyone who has sleep problems to try these.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:00 AM   #6

jmb HB User
Arrow

Thank you, Chezz, for your reply. My GP just called, and he wants me to try Klonipin again. I don't want to go that route if I can help it. The pdoc just called and said I could stop taking the gabitril(no need to taper), so I think I'll try your suggestion tonite. I'm small, about 100 lbs, so maybe I'll take a little less of the Valerian to start. Again, thanks.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 AM   #7

jmb HB User
Oh,Chezz, forgot to ask when you take the dose. Right at bedtime? Thanks

Old 07-15-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
(male)

Chezz HB User
No problem. It's always better to go the natural route with vitamins/minerals/herbs than prescriptions or over-the-counter meds. I tried some sleeping pills that did absolutely nothing. I take them about an hour before bedtime and believe me when that hour rolls around, I'm ready to hit the sack. Post on here if you try them and the results. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:49 AM   #9

Nuncy HB User
I have problems staying awake till morning. I take half of the sleeping pill and I somehow manage to fall asleep although it's hard without anything but the problem is to stay asleep. I plan to try melatonin, but I'm afraid because I was diagnosed eith anxiety-depression and I've read that it can cause symtopms the other day. Did you experience that problems with melatonin? Although I was diagnosed with that I think the main problem that I developed depression is insomnia and fatigue.

[This message has been edited by Nikica (edited 07-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Nikica (edited 07-28-2003).]

Old 07-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #10
(male)

Chezz HB User
I haven't had any problems with Melatonin. I didn't know it could affect depression and Lord knows how I have been somewhat depressed lately, even though I didn't go to doctor. When I was taking Melatonin by itself, I really didn't think it was that great. But, then I bought another brand of Melatonin along with Valerian Root, and have been sleeping better. The only problem I have had is, I think my skin started to break out from the Valerian Root. You should check with your doctor about it and I would dump the sleeping pills. Better to go the natural route.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:38 AM   #11

Nuncy HB User
Yes, I agree the sleeping pills are not a good option, especially if you don't "sleep them over". If I sleep with sleeping pills for 8 hours (what hasn't happened in ages) then it's fine, but otherways...
I will sure try melatonin. I take some homepathic treatment for anxiety-depression. I read the ingridients and it also contains valerian root. It seems this plant is a really calming one. I also plan to buy melatonin with valerian and some other plant combinations. It contains 3mg of melatonin. Do you think that's too much for a start or it's recommended dosage. Do you also suffer from depression or it's insomnia related anxiety. I think many of my problems will be solved with sleeping. I sure hope so.
Thanks for the information.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #12
(male)

Chezz HB User
You may want to start with a lower dosage than 3 mg of melatonin if you have any reservations. You can always upgrade if you feel it's necessary. I really don't know what a good dosage is because there is no RDA for melatonin. I bought valerian root by Nature's Way and am almost finished with that. I am going to try the Solgar brand that I will start in a few days once Nature's Way is done. Natuer's Way says to take 3 and for greater results 4-6. Most of the time I take either 3 or 4. Solgar says to take only 1 and that's why I decided to switch brands.

I seem to get more depressed lately due to things that have put me under some stress. So, with me, it's probably a combination of being depressed and insomnia related anxiety. I haven't felt the need to go to a doctor just yet because I don't think it's reached that stage.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:12 AM   #13

Nuncy HB User
Woow, you really have a choice among various brands. Here where I live I found only one brand of melatonin. In one pharmacy they even told me it wasn't registered in Europe. I hope this one will be good.
How long have you been suffering from insomnia until you found that melatonin works for you?

Old 07-30-2003, 05:28 AM   #14
(male)

Chezz HB User
Nowadays, you can buy vitamins in shopping malls, supermarkets, health food stores, drug stores/pharmacies and over the internet. So, if you want a particular brand, it's pretty hard not to have access.

I really don't think I suffer from insomnia. I was never an 8 hour a night person. I usually slept for around 6 hours. A few months ago, I started having sleep problems when I had a part-time job at night, and for some reason, couldn't understand why I wasn't tired when I got home. When I quit that job, I still couldn't sleep better and started to look into sleep aids. I had some nights where I couldn't fall asleep and a lot of nights where I would wake up in the middle of the night and not fall back to sleep for 2-3 hours. I was under the possibility of being laid off from work, along with a relationship-type problem with some girl. I tried melatonin by GNC and it did nothing and was told GNC products were inferior in quality. Then, I bought another brand by Natrol along with valerian root by Nature's Way and now I can sleep for 7-8 hours. I think valerian root more than melatonin has made me sleep better because I really feel tired after about an hour taking it.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #15

dennisr HB User
Question

I have had a sleeping problem for about 1 year, where I wake up in the middle of the night at the same time almost every night. I have tried to take melatolin and also valerian root, but I would be put to sleep. Although I would wake up in the middle of the night and then have a hard time getting back to sleep.

Does anyone know what is good to take care of this? Could it be something, such as stress, anxiety or depression that could cause something like this or not?

Thanks in advance!

Closed Thread