It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #1

cdeyoung HB User
I get the flu when I quit smoking

I have tried to quit smoking 2 times in the last year. Both times I got an asthmatic response making it difficult to breath, and general flu-like symptoms UPON quitting. I think this is connected specifically to Menthol Cigarettes. Does anyone have any details? How do I get rid of this flu? My dr gave me inhalers. They dont work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: I get the flu when I quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeyoung
I have tried to quit smoking 2 times in the last year. Both times I got an asthmatic response making it difficult to breath, and general flu-like symptoms UPON quitting. I think this is connected specifically to Menthol Cigarettes. Does anyone have any details? How do I get rid of this flu? My dr gave me inhalers. They dont work.

the flu you speak of is your body trying to force the tar and other nasty things out of your lungs. lungs have the ability to repair and regenerate. the cilli (sp?) gets all mashed down and unresponsive from tar and smoke. when you quit your lungs start to heal first by pushing out this toxin. you will feel like crap at first, yet another way for cigs to hook you. i don't know how long you stuck it out, but the flu symptoms should subside within a week to 10 days. anxiety may make you feel tight chested. if you are serious, stick it out, you will literally breathe easier!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2003, 07:04 AM   #3

peaches123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeyoung
I can't spell... Cigerettes have falmadahyde.. (like preserving dead things) in it that numbs the hairs in our lungs.. when you quit smokeing it wears off and the hairs start coming back to life... Praise God you are coughing up nasty junk that has been coating your lungs for years!!!

When you quit you have 3 addicitons to beat, the chemicals in the cigerettes , the habit of grabbing one, especially afer sex and meals and your "special place" and the emotional addiction.. It just "calms you down" or makes you feel better..

I know... I beat all three 10 years ago and I wouldnt light up again for a million dollars because I never want to quit again!! it is hard but it can be done.. the hardest is the chemical... get the patch.. i did wore it 4 weeks... then carried it around to 4 months told myself If I ever wanted to "light up" I would put the patch on instead... never had to. Good luck!!!!

Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Peaches123...

Your post above is so very encouraging. I like your idea of carrying around that patch for all that time, and praise God you never had to use it. I would love to read your whole story sometime of how you quit. Is it posted here in the archives?

And to the poster at top, (can't remember name) Hang in there...a lot of people get a cough and bring up phelem (I guess we should learn how to spell THAT word if we're to be on this list...I know I spelled that wrong) when they quit. I myself think that is a very good sign that your lungs are functioning well. Don't let it stop you in your quit. Look at it as a sign of healing. Just think, when we smoke that stuff just stays in our lungs...YUK!!!

Good luck and be well...
DEDA

Old 12-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

I agree with all and coughed some up myself afterwards for a few days. Whatever you do - don't use that as an excuse (just in case you are) to keep smoking because you could be so lucky to just have a flu versus maybe cancer or something.

If the flu scares you - read up on what continuing to smoke will do to you. Now quit ! LOL

Yes Laurie is in the mood to lecture today. LOL

Laurie

Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Laurie!

So glad you stopped by! I hate to say, I was worried about you! Was relieved to hear from you, I missed ya.
(WOW--2 weeks now!! GO Laurie!)
Please come back and lecture us some more, we quitters, (and future quitters) need a little lecture now and then!
(Plus you're a good cheerleader too).

Now if only we'd hear from Invincible...
Love, DEDA

Old 12-06-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

Your too funny Deda - nope I just have to stay strong whether bored, tempted, missing or whatever - it's just not worth it. Not to mention, when I do think of the benefits - it really is worth it.

I think by the end of month 2 Deda - you won't crave anymore. I think you'll be beyond it. I think the same for me. Some days I don't crave at all nor even think about it, which I never imagined in my wildest dreams so that's a big plus.

Yes - I got bk on the pill so I was very moody last week. LOL If it continues (fine today), then I'll go bk and get the doc to adjust them. I know me VERY well so I know when a pill is makin me trip. LOL

I just take an extra vitamin B complex if I ever stress - amazing but that stuff really does work - have you guys ever tried it? I swear by it.

Laurie

Closed Thread