It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

Smokeless Tobacco/Risk Reduction

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Dlurker

Dlurker HB User
Smokeless Tobacco/Risk Reduction

There has been some discussion of using smokeless tobacco as a way to decrease risk for those trying to stop smoking. Has anyone on the list been treated for addiction using smokeless tobacco as a tool, or know anyone that has?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
LL29
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Smokeless Tobacco/Risk Reduction

Hi Dlurker and although some do it - you're just substituting one addiction for another and actually I think chewing snuff is even more disgusting than smoking. It gets in your teeth and NO ONE would ever want to kiss you - trust me my Dad smokes. LOL Mom's not the kissy type either. LOL Wonder why huh.

Just quit with us dlurker - promise your life will only be total hell for one week, pergatory for the next few weeks, then you'll be on earth for ummmm....maybe a month or so..........then you'll get to heaven. If you don't soon quit - you'll just go straight to hell and stay there. LOL No sorry just joking. LOL But it will kill you so glad to see you're at least here - shows effort on your part to quit.

Just go bk and read thru the threads - are you tryin to quit smoking now?

Prayer works wonders as well

Laurie

Old 02-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Dlurker

Dlurker HB User

I'm not trying to quite, though I appreciate your concern. I'm actually interested in learning more about how people feel about the idea in general. Below is some more information.

Actually, the risk seems to be much lower in reality for smokeless tobacco than for cigarettes. The British Royal College of Physicians found that "the consumption of non-combustible tobacco is of the order of 10-1,000 times less hazardous than smoking, depending on the product." and University of Alabama Proffesor of Pathology Brad Rodu noted in testimony to congress that the risk of dying from smokeless tobacco was about the same as the risk of dying in a car accident.

Ignoring all the advertising and political talk, and considering the facts above about how smokeless tobacco is actually much safer than cigarette smoking, how do people feel about using it as a strategy to quit? I'm sure that there are many people who want to quit, but can't using other methods.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
Deda
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

...then why not just use nicorette gum or patches????????????????????????????????? ?

I'm very

Old 02-09-2004, 03:10 AM   #5
Invincible

Invincible HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlurker
how do people feel about using it as a strategy to quit? I'm sure that there are many people who want to quit, but can't using other methods.
I think it's a bad idea - doing something that ultimately imitates the act of smoking only re-inforces the need to smoke.

There are loads of methods to help people quit smoking - complementary/alternative therapies ... and also the traditional patches/gums etc..

Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
LL29
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

I think you just want us to tell you it's ok - not gonna happen here. My Dad chews snuff (sorry said smokes earlier - but he did smoke for a few to try and stop chewing - didn't work) and it's HIGHLY addictive and I don't believe the statistics on the car accident either. I would get stats from all over - american cancer society, etc.. and then come see.

I don't think it's worth the risk to get mouth or throat cancer and walk around with half of your face missing, but it's your choice.

Laurie

Old 02-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
badbackdavid

badbackdavid HB User

Dlurker,

I, personally, would be against using chewing tobacco as a substitute, tool, crutch, etc. for not smoking and would opt for a cleaner and more proven method like the patches, gum, etc. My guess would be that by stopping the smoking and using the chewing tobacco would be to simply be switching the method of nicotine transfer and never really coming clean and free of tobacco. But this is just my view. No one knows what's best for you but you.

Best of luck to you,

David

Old 02-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
Deda
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Dlurker--

Just be careful if you do decide to do this as I've always heard that the chew/snuff habit is even harder quit than cigarettes. And of course you have the oral cancers to be concerned about as well. There's even cases of young people with oral cancers, I read a story of an 18 year old that died after having half his jaw removed as a result of it.

DEDA

Old 02-23-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
Dlurker

Dlurker HB User

You may be interested to know that the truth is more kind than it might seem. According to Dr. Brad Rodu of University of Alabama:

Safety: SLT use has been the subject of intensive research for over 50 years. The only consequential adverse health effect from long-term SLT use is oral cancer. However, more than twenty epidemiologic studies over the past 50 years have established that this risk is very low (9). Our research documents that SLT use imposes only about 2% of the mortality risk of smoking (4,7). We found that the average reduction in life expectancy from SLT use is only 15 days (5). In contrast, the average smoker loses almost 8 years. For further context, the risk of death from long-term use of smokeless tobacco (12 deaths in every 100,000 users per year) is about the same as that from automobile use (15 deaths in every 100,000 users per year) (10).

taken from a transcript of his testimony at:
[url]http://energycommerce.house.gov/108/Hearings/06032003hearing928/Rodu1479.htm[/url]

In light of this information, do you feel any differently?

Again, I'm not trying to quit, just someone interested in learning more about how people feel about the subject.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
jojo64
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I started dipping when I stopped smoking and now I'm trying to stop dipping - and I've strated smoking again! My point is that trying to quit smokeless tobacco is just as hard as quitting cigarettes.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #11
Tobias
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

[QUOTE=Dlurker]Alabama Proffesor of Pathology Brad Rodu noted in testimony to congress that the risk of dying from smokeless tobacco was about the same as the risk of dying in a car accident.

QUOTE]

You won't die but you also won't have any jaw left. Or teeth either. Personally I think that's the most disgusting suggestion I've ever heard. Ranks right up there with a comment made to me by an obviously overweight woman who had been told by her doctor to eat more fruit. I offered her an apple and she replied that she preferred her fruit in a pie.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
Dlurker

Dlurker HB User

There are many non- chewing smokeless tobacco products available- some are as discrete as chewing gum. And there's some evidence to suggest that they have higher success rates on average than nicotene products.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #13
smartgal
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

If it's absolutely only going to be a choice of either/or I would chose the one less detrimental to health. Inhaling burning product is the worst choice I'm sure.

Oh, and now I know why my all fruit diet didn't work! LOL

Old 03-05-2004, 02:31 AM   #14
Missylynn
Inactive

Missylynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlurker
You may be interested to know that the truth is more kind than it might seem. According to Dr. Brad Rodu of University of Alabama:

The only consequential adverse health effect from long-term SLT use is oral cancer. However, more than twenty epidemiologic studies over the past 50 years have established that this risk is very low (9). Our research documents that SLT use imposes only about 2% of the mortality risk of smoking (4,7). We found that the average reduction in life expectancy from SLT use is only 15 days (5). In contrast, the average smoker loses almost 8 years. For further context, the risk of death from long-term use of smokeless tobacco (12 deaths in every 100,000 users per year) is about the same as that from automobile use (15 deaths in every 100,000 users per year) (10).

In light of this information, do you feel any differently?
No! I do not feel any differently. Statistics can be manipulated to represent anything. If the choice was between smoking and using smokeless tobacco I would choose suicide because it would be quicker than the slow death from smoke related illnesses or mouth cancer. Also, I would save my family the misery of having to watch me waste away and they can get on with the greiving process sooner. The only adverse health effect mentioned was oral cancer. That is bad enough. Has anyone seen pictures of people with oral cancer where half their mouths are eaten up or the bottom half of their faces are missing because their tongues and jaws had to be removed. Anyone out their thinking about switching one vice for another I suggest that you go to a search engine, look up facts on oral cancer, view some pictures, then come back and let us know whether or not you would substitute one evil over the other.

Last edited by Missylynn; 03-05-2004 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
smartgal
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

Well, I'd have to disagree with you on that one! The chances (according to the American Lung Association test) of me getting cancer was about 1 in 100. I've had surgeries where the chances of dying were worse. Cancer is not the only reason to quit, there are plenty of other reasons. Burn holes in the carpet. Stains where your spit missed the spitoon. General grossness. But suicide it's not and to suggest that people who smoke should just kill themselves is ridiculous. Risk taking and unnecessary risk taking, yes. I know some will disagree with me, but I think I would definately take the one with less risk.

Closed Thread