It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #1

bradcured HB User
Stopping smoking with St.John Wort and Selegiline

I've been off cigarettes 12 days, with absolutely no nicotine cravings. I'm supplementing myself with 900 mg of St John Wort extract (3x/daily) and 5mg of Selegiline (Deprenyl). Both substances seem to have an effect on my nicotine addiction. Here are the studies which show its effects:

ST JOHN'S WORT
----------------
http://biopsychiatry.com/hypericumsmok.htm

Hypericum perforatum attenuates nicotine withdrawal signs in mice
by

Catania MA, Firenzuoli F, Crupi A, Mannucci C, Caputi AP, Calapai G.
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology,
Section of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina,
Via Consolare Valeria,
Policlinico Universitario Torre Biologica 5 degrees piano,
98125, Messina, Italy.
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2003 Apr 29

ABSTRACT
RATIONALE. Hypericum perforatum is used as a natural antidepressant, and other antidepressants have been marketed to aid in smoking cessation. OBJECTIVE. We investigated the effects of an extract of Hypericum perforatum (Ph-50) on withdrawal signs produced by nicotine abstinence in mice. METHODS. Nicotine (2 mg/kg, four injections daily) was administered for 14 days to mice. Different doses of Ph-50 (125-500 mg/kg) were administered orally immediately after the last nicotine injection. In another experiment, Ph-50 (500 mg/kg) was orally administered in combination with nicotine, i) starting from day 8 until the end of the nicotine treatment period, or ii) during nicotine treatment and after nicotine withdrawal, or iii) immediately after the last nicotine injection. On withdrawal from nicotine, all animals were evaluated for locomotor activity and abstinence signs. RESULTS. The locomotor activity reduction induced by nicotine withdrawal was abolished by Ph-50, which also significantly and dose-dependently reduced the total nicotine abstinence score when injected after nicotine withdrawal. CONCLUSIONS. These data show that treatment with Hypericum perforatum attenuates nicotine withdrawal signs in mice. Further studies are necessary to test the possibility that it may be used for smoking cessation treatment in humans.

SELEGILINE (DEPRENYL)
-----------------------
http://www.deprenyl.info/deprenyl-58.htm

Effects of selegiline (l-deprenyl) during smoking and short-term abstinence.

Houtsmuller EJ, Thornton JA, Stitzer ML.

Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Bayview Medical Center
5510 Nathan Shock Drive,
Baltimore, MD 21224-6823, USA ehoutsm@jhmi.edu
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2002 Sep;163(2):213-20

Abstract

RATIONALE. Changes in dopamine level are thought to play an important role in both smoking reward and withdrawal symptoms during abstinence. Medications that modulate dopamine levels may have beneficial effects on both withdrawal symptom levels and on response to smoking lapses during abstinence.

OBJECTIVES. To examine the effects of the selective MAO-B inhibitor selegiline on withdrawal symptoms, smoking behavior and smoking satisfaction ratings.

METHODS. Fifteen smokers received selegiline (10 mg/day) and placebo (in counterbalanced order) on Monday through Thursday of 2 study weeks, separated by a 2-week washout. During each study week, ad lib smoking sessions were scheduled to assess smoking behavior both before and after a brief period of abstinence. Subjective withdrawal symptoms and mood were measured daily, and a modified Stroop test sensitive to withdrawal was scheduled during the period of abstinence.

RESULTS. Selegiline decreased craving, especially during abstinence, and impaired performance on the modified Stroop test during subjects' attempts to abstain. Medication also reduced number of cigarettes smoked and smoking satisfaction ratings during the smoking sessions both before and after the brief abstinence attempt.

CONCLUSION. These results are consistent with an important role of dopamine in smoking behavior and abstinence. They suggest that pharmacological reduction of MAO-B levels during the early part of a quit attempt may aid in smoking cessation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Stopping smoking with St.John Wort and Selegiline

bradcured--

Wow, that's really great that this worked for you, and you were able to quit, (thus far) without any cravings. Is the Deprenyl a prescription med? Was this recommended to you by a Dr., or did you just read about it and decide to try it? Anyway, whatever the case, CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!
DEDA

Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 PM   #3

bradcured HB User

Yes, Deprenyl can be found at online smart drugs web sites. Its an anti-oxidant, neuro-protectant, anti-depressant, anti-aging med - more info check out www.deprenyl.info.

I found the study which I posted in my earlier msg - about deprenyl and smoking and figured out that i should give it a try. At the same time Ive found SJW study and also tossed that into the anti-smoking mix. And it works great. 19 days and still going strong!

Old 05-19-2004, 06:37 AM   #4

retiree HB User

Hey Bradcured, Great job, keep us updated on your progress. How long did it take for the St John Wort to get into your system and begin taking effect? How long did you take it before you quit? I am also trying it. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:17 AM   #5

bradcured HB User

It took 7 days to actually feel no-need to smoke cigs (I have NO CRAVINGS, first time since 4 yrs of my smoking)

Closed Thread