It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Do Carrots Help With The Renewal?

I was told that eating carrots helped to renew the lining of the lungs faster. Is this true? If it isn't, is there anything that will aid in renewing the lining so that the healing process is speeded? Seems like maybe antioxidants should help. I hope someone knows the answer. Phoebe

Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Do Carrots Help With The Renewal?

Hi Phoebe- -

I've heard that eating lots of vegetables, especially yellow and orange ones, provide a lot of antioxidents. I also read somewhere that apples (have something in them) that is good for the lungs, so of course I eat an apple or two everyday. I also heard that grapes are very high in antioxidents, didn't hear which color tho, but I like green grapes. I also take CoQ-10, which is an antioxident, and touted by many as very good, (Dr. Andrew Weil), so I take that daily, as well as Vita C, E, B-Complex, and quite a few others. I drink protein shakes now daily, and just try to eat a good balanced diet. I NEVER ate very well when I smoked, as I'd rather smoke than take the time to eat. (STU-PID!) I've never eaten so well in my life as I do these days! And I exercise daily, walking from 3-4 miles a day, which is also good for the lungs. It's so funny how after we quit smoking, we want to start taking better care of our health, all around. And now we have the time! (not wasting time outside smoking!)
Good luck Phoebe!
Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Thanks Deda. Come next payday, I'm stocking up on Vitamins/supplements. Carrots are high in Vit A, and the red grapes are the ones that have been said to be very good for you as well as tomatoes too even in the form of catsup. Phoebe

Old 09-27-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Thanks Phoebe for pointing that fact out on the grapes. Guess I'll have to acquire a taste now for red grapes. Wish I could eat the tomatoes, but I have gerd, which I'm finally getting under control now. If you hear of anything else that's good, let me/us know!
Deda

Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Deda, Did you find that your Gerd bothered your throat? If so, how? ALso, did you have Gerd before you stopped smking or did it dev after? I now have some reflux and really didn't before I quit. Phoebe

Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

ScarlettGA HB User

Phoebe - funny you mention the GERD question - I was wondering the same thing myself. I quit exactly 38 days ago and since that time any exercise brings on a burning sensation in my throat. I have been taking Pepcid AC for it and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I've just noticed this since I quit smoking. Why would quitting bring this on??? Anyone know? Take Care....Scarlett

Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Dear Phoebe and Scarlett--

Well now you've got me wondering. In fact I did wonder in the beiginning, if quitting smoking had anything to do with my GERD. Actually, I think I was having some hearthburn last Sept., (before I quit), but I thought it did become worse AFTER I did quit smoking. I wondered if it was because of the nicotene gum, so I quit chewing that, and switched to using patches. I wondered too if it was stress induced, as I did have some major stress when I first quit. Well, later, when going over it with my endocrinologist, she said it was probably due to my hypothyroid, not being regulated at the time. Then I found out that it's common with hypo, after I started seeing it mentioned on the thyroid boards. So I'm not positive what brought mine on. I had big time stress too from the thyroid problems more than anything. Phoebe, I did have some funny throat sensations, and every now and then I still do, but that is also common with thyroid disorders. My thyroid gland is slightly enlarged too. It at times gets scratchy, or will feel like a pill is stuck in there. But this doesn't happen very often, and most of the time, my throat feels fine. Phoebe, and Scarlett, you might want to post on the digestive disorders board, and ask if other ppl have had this problem after quitting smoking. Also, quite often, some ppl have discovered a thyroid problem AFTER quitting smoking, as smoking masks a lot of the symptoms, and for some ppl it didn't appear until after they quit. I happen to know this is true. When I suffered one of my little relapses last Feb. I was having tons of hypo symptoms before that, and when I started smoking, in a short time, most of my symptoms dissappeared! Unbelievable, I know, but true. Now I'm finally getting my thyroid levels in the right place, and I rarely have heartburn. But I also quit drinking coffee, (I purchase acid free coffee over the net now) and I stay away from acid causing foods as much as I can. I take Protonix and drink aloe vera juice, but even that wasn't helping 2 months ago when the Gerd was at it's worst.
Hope this helped...
Deda

Last edited by Deda; 09-28-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Scarlett--

You might want to try Prilosec. You can buy it over the counter. Pepsid is an acid reducer. Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor, and stops the acid from coming up, where Pepsid will just reduce the acid. I didn't have any luck at all with acid reducers. if it gets really bad, ask your dr. for a script for a stronger PPI, like Protonix, which works like Prilosec, but it's stronger. Good luck you guys, as I know GERD is so uncomfortable, at times it's downright painful.
Deda

Old 09-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
(female)

ScarlettGA HB User

Just so happened I went by the pharmacy today and asked the pharmacist about quitting smoking and GERD - he said he had never heard of that as a symptom of quitting smoking BUT he thought it could be from overeating as many of us do when we are quitting. I tried to explain to him that my eating and weight hadn't changed 1 ounce since I quit smoking but he just kept saying it had to be that. I guess he is the type who has to have an answer for everything. Next time I go to the doc I'll definitely ask him about it. Take Care everyone...Scarlett

Old 09-29-2004, 01:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Let us know what he thinks, Scarlett. I was thinking too, since you seem to get this burning when you exercise, try not to eat anything, for at least a couple of hours before you work out. Possibly the moving about is causing any acids in your stomach to move up into your throat?
good luck...
Deda

Old 10-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #11
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

That's what I'm thnking too. I know that smoking mimics eating so that gastric acids may be increased as a result since the stomach thinks it is getting ready to receive food. I remember my father telling me not to smoke on an empty stomach. Now that the smoking mouth activity isn't there, seems like that would slow, but maybe it is used to producing that much and continues to do so for a while. I donno. Also, I went to get vitamins and got a good MTV, Zinc, and my usual Flax Seed Oil. I asked abt the Co Q-10 and was told that it is made from Grape leaves. I thought I had heard that before. It is expensive though. After you quit, how long were you able to force smoke from your lungs? Phoebe

Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Phoebe--

Yes, the CoQ-10 seems a little expensive, but considering it come in a bottle of 100, (mine does), and I take 1 a day, that lasts almost 3 1/2 months, for $33.00. I buy mine at the big warehouse stores. That breaks down to around 10.00 monthly, which isn't too bad. I think they are much more costly at a vitamin shop. But I do think they are worth it, and I have noticed an improvement in my energy levels since I have started taking them.
Great going Phoebe on starting your new vitamin regiment. I'm not sure what you mean by the other question, how to force the smoke out of your lungs. I am walking a lot, as I have always read that exercise is good for our lungs, by breathing in more oxygen, and clearing out CO2.
good luck...
Deda

Old 10-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #13
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

What I mean by forcing smoke from your lungs is this. I can place the back of my knuckle or the side of my hand securely over my mouth to seal it and then blow very hard without allowing air to escape. When I do move my hand, allowing the air in my mouth to escape, there will probably be smoke visible provided I do not inhale before it escapes. I had not known this would happen until I saw another who had quit months before who was able to express smoke from his lungs in the way I described. I can do that and still a little is visible occas even though it has been over 4 months. I just wondered how long that would last since as long as that smoke is in contact with my lungs, then I am still at as great a risk almost. Right? Oh, have you ever heard that Zinc lowers your immune system? I just read that on another board and had not heard it before. Phoebe

Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi again Phoebe...well I tried that and I didn't see any smoke. Maybe I'll have to do it with my hubby present and see if he notices anything. Or maybe it's been too long now, and it's all cleared out? Whatever, but I'm not going to worry too much about it, as long as I'm feeling pretty well here. No cough or anything like that. Now which board did you read that about the Zinc? Was it the vita's and supplements board? That would concern me if it's true, as I take Zinc, (25 mgs) daily. Let me know...
Oh yeah, read again yesterday that apples were good for preventing lung cancer and asthma. Something about the flavasones, or something that sounds like that. Eat your apples every day. I buy the red delicious apples, a large bag, again from the large warehouse stores. (don't know if that is a generic chain store) Just eat em...
Deda

Old 10-06-2004, 12:40 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

I am an ex-smoker. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I have never heard of the connection between carrots and the lungs.Smoking surpresses the appetite and when you stop, your appetite comes right back. Carrots are used as a low calorie healthy snack to satisfy your appetite and avoid excessive weight gain.

Closed Thread