It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #1

SHAYSER HB User
How Long Does Withdrawl Symptoms Last?

I Quit Smoking 6 Weeks Ago Ever Since I Quit I Have Been Sick, Cold Cough, Chest Pains, Feels Like Mucas And Congestion In Chest, Sore Throat, Headaches, Nose Feels Dried And Clogged, Kinda Feels Like Bronkitis )i Know That Is Not Spelled Right) , I Went To Reg Dr., Lung Dr, And Ent And Everyone Thinks It From Quitting Smoking I Was Just Wondering Has Anyone Else Ever Felt Like This And What Were They're Symptoms
Thanks In Advanve For Listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
Inactive

Jack51 HB User
Re: How Long Does Withdrawl Symptoms Last?

Hang in there and DON"T GIVE UP, no matter how long it last!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Absolutely. You will feel worst at first going through the detox of nicotine.
You will be coughing up ALOT of mucuous because your lungs are cleaning themselves up. You will feel flu like because that's called withdrawal. It is difficult and uncomfortable to quit smoking, especially if one is addicted to it. which most are.
You've got through the most difficult time and it should be easier from this point on. Just keep remembering the withdrawal symtoms if you should ever desire and think about picking up that cigarette.
I remember feeling extremely weak and tired the first couple of weeks. I felt absolutely HORRIBLE! the nicotine patches really help with the withdrawal symtoms. You're not inhaling the nicotine like a cigarette but through your blood stream. so it's ok to get the help with them. It's the inhaling the nicotine thats so bad for us. plus you'd wean yourself off the nicotine in increments so the withdrawal is not so severe.
some say go cold turkey, but why suffer when there's help to get you through the toughtest times? The patches are worth the money. plus you'd be saving money in the long run anyway.
Don't forget they say it's common to go through multiple efforts to quit smoking. you just don't do it once by throwing out the smokes and never ever picking them up again. You are going GREAT! and I support you one hundred percent.
Just admit and realize it's uncomfortable. It is! but only temporarily.
good luck and I wish you a healthy and smoke free life again.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

I know SEVERAL people who went through the same thing. I on the other hand never got sick when I quit smoking. Its so common however that I was afraid to quit smoking because I didn't want to get sick. Your body is clearing out all the bad stuff that you have done to yourself from smoking. It doesn't last forever and it should clear up really soon since you quit for some time now. Hang in there. The worst is almost over! If you smoke again...you'll be back at square one. Nobody ever died from quitting smoking..people die everyday from not quitting.

Last edited by elatedgiraffe; 10-02-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
(male)

Larry902 HB User

I've been off the smokes for exactly 30 days and I'm going through some similiar stuff but included is low blood pressure and low heartbeat(48bpm) which has me a bit worried since I'm being treated for hight blood pressure and might need to adjust the meds. I've also been having terrible diarrhea since I quite the smokes.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
(male)

alhotmund HB User

Back when I was in the Navy at bootcamp, I went through the same thing. I had been smoking like a train since i was 12 and it hit me pretty hard. Of course, on top of that I had some crazy illness from being around people from all over the country that were carrying strains I had never been in contact with AND had my wisdom teeth out at the same time. Now, I'm weak. So if I could put up with all that and still function, I think you'll be just fine.
Good luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
(female)

unci888 HB User

I am almost six months into my "quit" and I am still having trouble. I went through everything you describe and had/have major breathing problems. BUT I figure I smoked for 38 years so I suppose it will take some time for my body to adjust now that we are smoke free I still get cravings but I try to remember how I felt when I was actually smoking those cigarettes - like how I really wanted to smoke then as soon as I lit up I would be thinking "I wish I didnt have to smoke because it makes me feel so bad". I think the best part of this quit is I dont cough the way I used to and I can breathe better too. Good luck with your quit everyone.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

hi larry i find my bp is a bit low to worse in the mornings did you have to change your meds and are you still off the smoking

Closed Thread