It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM   #1

fibrostinks HB User
For those of you who quit: What caused your weight gain?

Hi. New to this board. I have so much respect for all who have quit on here. Your stories all brought tears to my eyes. I so want to do it so I can say ME TOO and maybe inspire others like you have insipred me.

I am a 32 yo female smoker since 17. I am totally addicted to cigarettes. I am an emotional smoker, which is as soon as I get upset, stressed or in a fight with my fiance, I reach for a cig. I am fed up and disgusted. I hate the cigarettes and want to quit SO bad.

My two fears:

1). I know what I feel like when I have gone 5 hours without a cigarette. I cant imagine how I will get through that for days! or FOREVER. I am so scared of failing and of the cravings.

2). My biggest fear is the weight gain people talk about. For those of you who have gained weight, can you tell me what you think caused it and how much did you gain?

I bought Nicorette and its just waiting for me to grab it and begin. I cant wait to be a non-smoker. I cant wait to not have to rely on those nasty evil things. I cant wait fro my clothes and hair not to stink. I truly cannot wait to be free.

XO
A

Old 12-31-2004, 12:48 PM   #2

fibrostinks HB User
Re: For those of you who quit: What caused your weight gain?

ok no responses

guess i am on my own

good luck to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

mwessell HB User

Hi,

You are not on your own...I think people are just busy because of the holidays...The story as to why I quit is posted a few threads before this one.

I gained 12 pounds...if something is not nailed down I eat it Luckily I needed to put the weight on. I have always been skinny and I actually look better with the weight. I think the secret to not gaining weight is to drink ALOT of water. Keep a water bottle with you all the time...and walk alot too.

I could not wait to be smoke free...when I smell someone that just had a butt it makes me sick to think I smelled like that too. My car smells better, my clothes do too. I did not smoke in the house so that hasn't changed much. But the big pile of butts outside is gone! I love saying "I don't smoke".

It is hard to imagine being smoke free forever...I know this may sound cliche...but one day at a time...one hour at a tme if that's what you need to do...whenever I had made it through another hour it felt great. It has been
3 1/2 months for me and I still have to take it a few hours at a time. The cravings are still there...but I hate those things!!!

Good luck to you...I think the battle is already half won becuase you want to quit so badly!!!

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

tiggerwoo HB User

I stopped smoking nearly a year ago, although I had a couple of minor slips, but only for a couple of days. Trust me when you stop and you go in to a place where people smoke, you will feel really disgusted and think. urrrgh, did I smell like that? Thats enough to put you off. As for the weight gain, its caused by your metabolism slowing down a bit, but the weight gain will be not enough for anyone to notice. Besides, you'll feel fit enough to take more exercise. That will combat the extra few pounds. Everytime you want to smoke brush your teeth, eat some fruit and find something to do with your hands. I tried four or five times to give up, but believe me its the best thing I ever did.
Good luck, Clare

Old 01-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Bernice HB User

I quit smoking 5 months ago. The first 2 days were ok and I really didn't want a cig. The 3rd day, I was about to give in. I wanted a cig so bad but what helped me was a hotline in our state. I called them and they said the reason I was craving a cig bad was because the nicotine was out of my system and my body didn't know how to react. Something my body was used to having, wasn't getting anymore. So they helped a lot. After that, I've had cravings some days worst than others. Heck, I still have cravings but they don't last long and they're not that bad. I also think of people on oxygen and that makes me not want a cig. I also quit smoking cold turkey which I think is harder. The patch makes you not have the cravings. I gained 30lbs since I quit smoking. After eating and instead of a cig, I put more food in my mouth. I needed something in my mouth. I've tried gum and hard candy but it just wasn't doing it for me. Now that I have smoking under control, I started my diet. I lost 9lbs and I want to lose another 15lbs. I went off my diet today but I'll go back on it tomorrow. Quitting smoking is a hard thing to do and I really didn't think I could do it, let alone going cold turkey. But I did. I don't cough anymore. I can smell better. My husband quit smoking 6 months ago and he used Zyban and that worked for him. Find what you think will work for you and then go for it. Is there a hotline you can call to help you quit? Good luck.

Bernice

Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

You are very wise to be quitting and I wish you good luck with your efforts. Yes, weight gain isn't unusual. I used Nicotine Gum and didn't gain any weight while I was using it. I think having a piece of gum in your mouth satisfies some oral craving so one is less tempted to overeat. However, when I stopped the gum I began to gain weight. What causes weight gain, you ask. Eating too much is one reason. Not exercising enough is another. Nothing new with this but the typical weight gain that one might experience from quitting smoking is benign compared to the habit of smoking. So don't worry about it and above all don't let the fear of a little weight gain keep you from making the effort to stop smoking. It's one of the best steps you can take to improve your health.

PS: Smoke-free is great. My house, my car, my clothes, my hair don't smell like smoke anymore. I don't cough. I can sing now. I don't get as many colds as I used to. Yes I miss smoking and probably always will because I loved to smoke (did it for 38 years). It was like losing a good friend. But, I discovered that I can go on without that friend.

Last edited by Tobias; 01-01-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
(male)

Earth&Fire HB User

I don't hang out at this thread so don't read this if you don't want to, but I'll submit it anyway in case it helps someone. I quit smoking for GOOD (pun intended) in 1986. I had been smoking 3 packs a day for 15 years. I had tried to quit many times but it was so bad I couldn't see it through. I went to classes, but no good. In the end, I did it my way and it was EASY! Here is what I learned.

Forget the patches, gum, special filters, etc. They only continue the habit. The fact is that the nicotine addiction only last for 3 days, then its gone. The rest of what you feel is the psychological addition. That's what needs to be addressed. Taking nicotine only prolongs the physical addiction and makes it harder to quit.

Here is how I did it:

Around the first of the year, I set a date 6 months out in the future when I knew I was going on an overseas trip where finding my cigarette brand would not be very easy. Plus I booked myself into a non-smoking seat. (You could smoke on airplanes back then).

Then I (as you have begun to) started noticing (and saying out loud) all of the times where smoking was hurting me. For example, I would smoke in the car and say to myself: I'll be so glad when I quit smoking because I won't have to clean the windshield so often (I almost never clean it now). I'll be so glad when I guit because I can allow the A/C vent to blow right into my face! Whatever you want to do that smoking doesn't allow. Sitting by the window at a restaurant, not standing in the cold, etc. Look for them, they are there.

I did this for 6 months and began to get really disgusted with the whole thing. Finally, a week before I was to quit, I was in my office working at my computer and the smoke blew into my eye. I got so angry, I put it out and have never touched (or desired) another one since. Almost 20 years later I still have dreams where I'm smoking! I wake up and am so glad it was just a dream, but talk about insiduous! That's why its so hard to quit, because it gets into your core. BUT ITS NOT THE NICOTINE - ITS THE SMOKING ITSELF! I can't stress this enough. The physical part is what the drug companies focus on, but its not what keeps you smoking. Its what to do with your hands, its how to be comfortable at a party, its the triggers, its the routines. You have to break all of that, which is way harder than the chemicals. If you quit for a month and you still crave smoking I believe you have not really quit, you are just not smoking. You'll know when you quit because you will not want it anymore. I know, because I do not have the willpower to just not smoke. My father-in-law hasn't smoked for 15 years but he could start again tomorrow. I don't have that kind of strength. If I hadn't truly quit, I would be smoking today. That's why so many people try and try to quit, with no success, and then just give it up when they find out they or their spouse has cancer. That wouldn't be the case if they were primarily addicted to nicotine. They hadn't quit because they didn't REALLY want to.

Sorry for the dissertation, but its a passion of mine and its really important. If you REALLY want to quit, you are 90% there already. Good luck.

Closed Thread