It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

rainswirls HB User
Lightbulb I really want to quit!! help?

Ive been smoking for about 7 years. I dont like smoking and would very much like to quit but Im scared I wont be able to get through It. plus I live with my mom and my aunt who both smoke ...alot!!Being around 2nd hand smoke wouldnt do me any good from quitting. I dont know what to do....but I know I wanna quit.Any suggestions?

Old 01-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: I really want to quit!! help?

If you're serious about wanting to quit, then by all means do it. Ask your housemates to not smoke in the house. Or at least make an area of the house a smoke-free zone. But don't let their smoking status determine yours. Quitting your own smoking despite the second-hand smoke that you live with is better for you than continuing to smoke in addition to the second hand smoke. It's not perfect but it's better.

When you stop smoking, you will become acutely aware of the stench that permeates every fiber of your house, from the walls, drapes, clothing, brown film on everything from the light bulbs to the TV screen. And with 3 active smokers, it's probably pretty bad. Have your housemates help you clean the place up and maybe they'll get motivated to stop also.

Try spending as little time as possible around smokers or in places where people smoke, especially during the first weeks of your quit. Develop acceptable substitutes to use when you get the craves (and you will). Consider arming yourself with some or all of the ammo that might help you quit - see your doctor for help. Some possibilities include support groups (on the web or 3D), nic replacement therapy, zyban. Studies have shown that combining therapies can raise the odds of staying quit. I believe that, in your present circumstances living with smokers, that a support group would really help you because it would be a group of people with whom you could talk to about what will probably be a difficult quit. There are others in your same boat - i.e. living with smokers - and you could help each other.

You are lucky in that you haven't smoked a long time - however any amount of smoking is potentially harmful so the sooner you stop the better. Best of luck in your efforts.

T.W.
17 days short of 3 years quit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Nikro HB User

I agree that living with 2 smokers makes the challenge harder. In my case I smoked 10 years, and recently quit. However, my hubby quit with me, so it is not like someone in the house is smoking while I quit.

I really only believe in cold turkey, however, in your case---living with smokers---perhaps a NRT would be beneficial to you.

I think you should talk to your housemates about all 3 of you quitting (I have NEVER met a smoker who said they didn't want to or shouldnt quit). Maybe set a goal date for a few weeks to 1 month and all 3 of you quit together.

I agree with Tobias. Now that I have quit, I can smell ciggy's if someone stopped at a red light behind me is smoking. You do become ultra sensitive to the smell.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Keep coming here and get support. I will leave you with this.....quitting smoking is something that makes you very proud of yourself. You will feel better in every aspect of your life.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
(female)

rainswirls HB User

Thanks so much for the replys guys!!!
Im still trying but slowly at a time....theres no way my mom would ever stop smoking. Ive already tried and she tried but she said its something she needs!that her life would be boring or whatever ....I cant remember but i know she wont quit.....who knows maybe they'll start smoking outside.

Closed Thread