It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

cr0n04 HB User
Smoking and Jogging

Hi,

I had a question about smoking and jogging/running. Well, I smoke about a pack, maybe a little less a day, but I also run a good 3-4 times a week for about 5-6 miles.

Now I know my best bet would be to stop smoking, but my question is knowing whether or not running/jogging reverses the effects of smoking or if it equals things out a bit?

I know that when I run, I usually coughed a lot afterwards (pretty bad too), but I've noticed the coughing has gone down a ton and that I am not spitting up as much crap anymore afterwards as well.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
(female)

Cin4676 HB User
Re: Smoking and Jogging

I have to admit....I used to wonder the same thing. I used to be a smoker....quit last April but a few years ago I enjoyed running. I know people thought I was crazy because while others were warming up for a 10k, I was having my before-race smoke, LOL I noticed the same thing you do.....I would cough like crazy immediately after I first started running (cleaning of the lungs maybe???) and it seemed to lessen as I got more stamina. That might be the key....stamina. If you think about it, your lungs are working much harder when you're running. I know now that I don't smoke, my breathing is much better even tho I don't run anymore. Before I quit, when I went to bed...I noticed how much harder it was getting to breath. That has disappeared since I quit. Hopefully, someone can answer your question....I think it's an excellent one!
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
(male)

cr0n04 HB User

Thanks for your reply. There's really no one I know that smokes like I do and runs on a regular basis. So I see that I'm not the only runner who was (and still am to an extent) experiencing the same effects.

Still, it would be great if there is anyone out there that knows anything about this. It's been bugging me lately. . . Thanks!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User

Go to PubMed, Nat'l Libr. of Medicine, for this abstract of a study that investigated the issue that you bring up: effect of smoking on relatively young, fit individuals (in this case 3,000+ Navy personnel).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=1438118&dopt=Abstract

In my own (not so humble) opinion, while you are to be commended for your dedication to incorporating exercise in your daily routine, you are cancelling out whatever benefit you might derive from jogging by continuing to smoke.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
(male)

cr0n04 HB User

Thanks for the source. I Appreciate it.

I guess now, comes my decision on whether or not to quit smoking, heh. I am really into physical fitness and what not, yet I smoke - Go figure. Decisions, decisions. . Thanks again. . .

Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

magz0427 HB User

crOn04,
I'm in the exact same situation! I smoke about 10 cigs a day and I run at least 6-8 miles a day about 4-5 times a week. People always comment about how wonderful it is that I can run so much, but when I tell them that I'm also a smoker, they look at me like " how the heck can you run like that and smoke??!" I never cough, I've never had a chest cold of any kind, and my doctor said my lungs sound terrific. BUT just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean things will always be this way. That I do realize. I know I have to quit...I really want to because I don't want to wait until something does happen. The sad thing is that I really do enjoy smoking and I know I have to get over it! I'm ashamed of my habit. I think smoking totally destroys all the good I do for my body....eating right..working out..ect. Ah, I wish I never started in the first place!! Let me know if you decide to try and quit. Maybe we can be quitting buddies? Take care!!

Old 02-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi magz--

We ALL loved smoking. I loved it so much, I smoked for 30 some years, and thought really that I'd never be able to quit. I tried many, many times and finally quit for good 17 months ago, with the help of nicotene replacement therapy. (Without which, I couldn't have done this). Please don't think that you aren't strong enough to quit...I know you are. Most all of us feel that if we could quit, anyone can quit. It's not easy for any one, but it is do-able, and thousands of people are quitting everyday. You sound like you enjoy and work hard at keeping healthy. Why not go all the way and quit too! It takes a lot of determination to run like you do, just put that same effort towards giving up the smokes too. I bet you can do it too! In fact, I know that you can.
Good luck!
Deda

Closed Thread