It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
second hand smoke

I live in an apartment with a smoker and have a question about second-hand smoke. I am 7.5 months pregnant and my roommate smokes cigarettes and pot daily. He isn't supposed to be smoking the pot, except he doesn't care about what his other roommates think either. My question is, if he smokes in his room with the door shut, will I still be inhaling second-hand smoke? He isn't allowed to smoke in the living room or kitchen, yet the apartment always reeks of cigarettes. My boyfriend told me I'm just inhaling the smell of cigarettes and not the actual toxins since no one is actually smoking while in the room with me. Sometimes the smell is strong enough to wake me from sleeping though. Am I getting second-hand smoke? I'm just worried about the health of my baby.

(Just as an fyi - I won't be living there after I deliver though)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #2

scaredincollege HB User
Re: second hand smoke

I really do not know if you can get second hand smoke or not, but just to be on the safe side I would get an air filter/purifier and ask him to smoke outside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Scaredincollege - No one will ask him to go outside because he is the type of person that doesn't care what other people think. I wish I had a roommate that was courtious enough to step outside though. My roommate doesn't even want my baby around once he's born even though the father will still be living there.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

If the smell is strong enough to wake you from sleeping I'd say you're getting the second hand smoke. After all, the smoke will be getting through the crack under the door and also wafting out every time he opens his bedroom door. I agree with getting an air filter/purifier.

If the father of the baby lives in the house as well can't he say something? Or does the house belong to this guy? If he's just somebody who happens to be renting surely somebody can say something. Along with the second hand smoke worry I'd be concerned about the pot issue. As well as being unsafe for you to inhale it's illegal to have around.

You take care and at the very least get an air filter for your bedroom.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

I think if the smoke is strong enough to wake you, then it is something to be concerned about. Have you confronted him about this?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I don't think it would be a problem, my husband smoked a LOT and even smoked in the car and I had a healthy baby girl that is 17 and still as healthy as an ox.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I was born to a smoking household. At least my mom quit when she was pregnant (started againg after I was born) but my dad still smoked around her. I was born a healthy baby. Then I had tons of ear infections and then some stomach problem. My sister was always sick. I now get sick easily and have horrible allergies and asthma. You may think you are having a healthy baby but you don't really know the long term effects. It's your job to protect your baby. Why is your boyfriend saying there after the baby is born instead of moving with you? You will really need his support after the baby is born. BABIES ARE REALLY REALLY HARD TO TAKE CARE OF!!!!! I have a 17 month old and it has been really hard. To hard to put into words. Tell this guy to get his smoking buttt outside for the babys sake. He can smoke again inside soon enough.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

With a mother and father who smoked my entire life .... I can't say I have any increased health problems.

2nd hand smoke (ETS: enviromental tabacco smoke) has not proven to cause health problems or lung cancer.

It doesn't mean it couldn't- it just hasn't been proven to.

If you are worried the purifier might be a good idea to get by on since it doesn't seem like he cares.

April
(never smoked in my life)

Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

It is an off-campus college apartment with me, my boyfriend and our roommate. The apartment was set up specifically for college students and is a smoking apartment. However, my boyfriend and I don't smoke and this other guy didn't move in until after I became pregnant. We couldn't tell him no because it wasn't our decision. Random people are assigned to live together by the leasing office, similar to a college dorm. I don't technically live there though since I am not paying for a room. Everyone has their seperate leases and pays rent for their room. I am just staying in my boyfriend's room since I am pregnant. The smoking bothers the both of us though and I suppose even though I don't have the right to say anything, my boyfriend could. We have been living with this guy since last fall though and he doesn't care about anyone else in the apartment. He even makes us clean up after him. I think my boyfriend feels as if he doesn't have the right to ask this guy to step outside because it is technically a smoking apartment. I don't want to be inhaling the toxins though. My boyfriend will still be living there after the baby is born because he has to finish up college. I am going to move across state once my baby is born though.

Just the other night my boyfriend wrote a note on the message board asking his roommate to open a window while he smokes at night because it was waking us up and low and behold, I was woken up that same night due to the strong smell creeping through the apartment.

Last edited by Frynd1; 03-10-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Even though I don't believe it will harm you or the baby - I think it is very rude of this person to keep smoking when it is obviously bothering 2 people! Even if it IS a smoking apartment, there's such a think as manners and caring about your fellow human being. Did he open a window? If my husband is in "his" room with a window open and the heat is on, the smell still comes into the other rooms, it is being pulled into the intake vent, goes into furnace and is distributed through the house. I would tell him this (Unless of course the apt. has radiaters or electric baseboard heat, but if it's forced hot air, this may be why you still smelled it if he did indeed have a window open)

Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #11

scaredincollege HB User

If I were you I would just turn him in for the pot if you don't like living with him. That alone is bad enough for the baby. I would make a few more suggestion for him to cut down on the smoking in the house and if he doesn't stop I would turn him into either the college or the police for having illegal drugs. You owe it to your baby. Good luck with everything.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

The reason that they say that second hand smoke is worse than smoking a cigarette is because when the smoker is taking a puff, the smoke that goes into them is being somewhat filtered through the cigarette but when people like you and I inhaled the smoke when it's in the air, then it's not filtered and that's why it's worse for non smokers to breathe in that second hand smoke. I have asthma and I just wish that smokers would take other people into consideration because they never know what kind of condition a person has that they are smoking around.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I agree with scaredincollege. Turning him in for the pot would get him out of the apartment. You have not only your health to think about but also the health of the your baby.

Closed Thread