It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

Cin4676 HB User
Cool One year today!!!!!

YAY!!!!!! It is our 1 year anniversary for quitting today! Hubby and I both quit together and made it thru 3 major hurricanes without smoking. You see everyone....anything is possible. We had previously been 1 1/2 packs a day.....thirty something year smokers! SOOOOOOO cool!

Cindy

Old 04-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
(female)

BettyV HB User
Re: One year today!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS CINDY!!!

Given the stresses you obviously went through with the hurricanes, it is all the more remarkable.

My husband and I are a little less than a year behind you (we quit 9 weeks ago). Like you we smoked for three decades and quite heavily at that (2 packs a day).

We are determined that nothing will rock our boat. It is just so wonderful to be free of the habit!

Take care

B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Thanks Betty......I honestly never thought we could do it! It's definately a lot more difficult when you've been smoking this long, isn't it? At the same time, it was easier than I thought it would be. You've made it through the roughest time, I know you'll make it all the way now. You're right.....it IS great to be free from that nasty habit!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #4

sheredhed HB User

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
this is tough but we can do it!!!!!

Three weeks, five days, 12 hours, 16 minutes and 35 seconds. 795 cigarettes not smoked, saving $139.18. Life saved: 2 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up Re: One year today!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy in Fla
YAY!!!!!! It is our 1 year anniversary for quitting today!
Cindy

HEY GIRL!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! ...to you AND your hubby too!!

I'm so happy that you have reached this milestone, and I knew that you could do it too! AWESOME!!

I didn't forget your day, but we went to the mountains for the weekend, and girl was I so exhausted yesterday...didn't even get on here to check emails, or anything. (I slept a lot yesterday!) Anyway, today I'm feeling terrific...I think my thyroid levels are getting close to where thay are supposed to be, (finally) as this is the best I have felt in so long! woo-hooooo

Have you figured out how much money the two have you have saved? It's reallly quite a bit when we sit down and figure it out, but even more so when there's 2 of us quitting. The great thing is feeling better. Just so many wonderful benefits...

I'll reply to your other post later...Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! You rock Cindy!
Love, Deda

Old 04-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hey Deda, I'm sorry...I'm getting busy with petsitting. I am the only one in the area and people are starting to find me, LOL I'll write as soon as it slows down a little. I'm so happy to hear your meds are working so well for you...that is absolutely terrific! It's about time, right?

Hope everything else is going well for you..............

Be back soon,
Cindy

Old 04-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Girl...

Sounds like you are busy, but that's a good thing for us, I suppose. I was supposed to leave yesterday on my trip with my dad, but that has been postponed. My daughter and her DH are to arrive here tommorow evening. They are going to be in a bike race in Monterey this weekend, so they will be here with us for about 4 days, then they are heading down to S. Diego to see his family, before they fly back to NC. I'm excited to see them of course, as it's been almost 2 years. So I'm busy too, cleaning house and everything else I need to do. Good to hear from you Cindy. How is it going with the longezes? I'm still chewing a few pieces of gum per day, but have cut down. When my daughter left here in June '03, I was still smoking, (quit in Sept. '03) She will be surprised to see me as a nonsmoker. She still asks me on the phone, (on a reg. basis), "mom, you're still not smoking, right?" Guess she worries because of all of my past failures. At least I won't have to be hiding anything.
Keep up the good work Cindy...so proud of you hitting your first anniversary, that so wonderful!!
Love, Deda

Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Deda....HI! Well, I only have 2 pet visits today....thank goodness. I'm a little tired but it is good to stay busy, you're right. I'm doing about the same on the lozenges but that's ok, for now. I'm glad to hear you've been able to cut back. Hey! How about that....you're daughter is coming out to see you! That's wonderful! I know you must be so excited....I think it's cute that she still asks you about smoking. Just goes to show how much she loves you and wants to keep you around Hopefully, you will some day be able to convince her to move back to CA. Maybe you could tell her that you will promise to never ever pick up a cig if she moves back? LOL It's emotional bribery, but a mom's gotta do what a mom's got to do, hehe....just kidding.
Hubby and I still love it out here even though we haven't had to deal with the pool situation yet. Remember, the pool is directly behind our small yard. I saw the schedule and it looks like they will be open til 10 PM everyday except Sundays. Atleast we get one day off. My dogs are barkers so it could get stressful. The highdive looks directly into our yard. It's right up against that wall. They've been spraying all kinds of chemicals and paint that have come into our yard, that can drive you crazy. I hope this is not something they do every year, it looks like they are doing a little renovation on it. It's not very old so I don't know why.
Well, on with my day. Enjoy your visit with your daughter!

Hugs,
Cindy

Old 04-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Cindy--

I'm SO sorry that I haven't made contact with you until now. I DO think of you often, and wonder how you're doing girl! Everything's fine around here. My daughter and her hubby did come out for a visit, and it was wonderful seeing them and all, but not long enough. It's never long enough, but I am grateful that they came. They had to leave to go and visit his family down in S. Diego. They even brought one of their little dogs with them, a tiny little Beagle. She was so cute, that I would've kept her if they had offered. My hubby is even looking in the paper now for one. This one had such a nice disposition, and was so well behaved. She flew out here with them, and even got to sit underneath my daughters' seat, but had to be in a special bag that she purchased at Petco. I didn't know they let dogs travel like that!
So yeah, we had fun, and celebrated my birthday in S.F. I can't keep up with them anymore!
I'm still on the gum...not gonna try to quit till my thyroid levels out. Afraid of weight gain and feeling bummed...just not ready yet. How are you guys doing? My hubby still chews, but a lot less than me.
How's your weather over there? Did you guys have any flooding recently? I read something that all the snow was melting, and that they were worried about flooding? Hope it was not you guys! Is your weather warm now? It can't decide what to do out here. Sunny one day, raining and windy the next! I wish it would just stay nice now!!
Hey, about that pool...how far back is it from your house? Did it open yet? I hope it won't cause too much noise! Ya know, we don't like a lot of noise as we get older, do we, Cindy? I don't like to hear kids screaming, traffic, dogs, all of that gets me nervous!
Well, I'll check out the board more often...been a little tired and run down feeling lately. Some days are good, but still some bad ones too. Resting up before I go down to S. Ca. Had to postpone because of my daughter being here!
Take care Cindy...
(((HUGS)))
Deda

Old 04-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Bumping up for Cindy. :P

Cindy..you around these boards any more?

Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hey Deda, just peeked in before going to bed....I promise I'll write to you tomorrow. Oh yes, I'm still around, LOL I'm sorry it took so long to respond, I'll be back tomorrow...definately!

Hugs,
Cindy

Old 04-29-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hi again Deda....I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with your daughter! No matter how much time you have is never long enough. I envy those families that stay in the same area and are able to see each other whenever they want. I miss my family, especially during the holidays. I hope you can convince her to move closer to you eventually. I did finally talk to my grandchildren the other day. I can't believe the oldest will be 9 and her brother is 7 already! Kelsee looks almost exactly like her mother. She has ever since she was born. I sure wish I were closer to them. Silly me, I still talk to her on the phone like she's a toddler. She must think I'm strange, LOL
So, how many pieces of gum are you chewing? It's very easy to build back up again, isn't it? My hubby is between 2 1/2 and 3 lozenges a day. I can go up to as many as 4, and these are 4 mg each. I know I should go off of them at this point and I know I could but I don't want to go thru that depression again. I'm just not sure what to do. My hot flashes are kicking up again, I don't think they will ever go away for good. Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to wear flannel or silk again?! I'm having a hot flash now, as I'm posting! Yuck! I am using the natural hormones but it's just not enough help. Guess I'm just going to have to get used to it.
I'm sorry that your thyroid still gives you trouble. I hope it doesn't happen too often. Our poor bodies, aging is no fun either. Speaking of that...lol...Happy Birthday girl! Glad you got to spend it with the one's you love.
Yes, beagles are great! If you get one....watch for seizures. Unfortunately, they are prone to them. I think it's because they are so happy and get excited easily. Every breed has it's issues but I think beagles are so adorable! Good for you, dogs are such wonderful companions. I don't know what I would do without mine.
The pool is very close to us. We have a small yard and I've heard they get very rowdy and loud back there. There was a write up in the community paper yesterday that they just renovated and asked parents to talk to their kids about vandelism. Like talking does any good! How about having adult supervision instead?! I heard the pool opens for aroebics (sp?) as early as 5:30 AM. Then it doesn't close most nights until 10 PM. I don't know, I am concerned about it.
Well, gotta get out to petsit. Will check in later.
Bye for now.
Love,
Cindy

Old 05-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Cindy--So nice to hear from you, girl! Yes, I wish my DD lived closer, and the rest of my family. At least our son is still here, only 7 miles away. Don't think there's much of a chance she'll be moving back here, at least in the next few years. Hey, I bet you miss your little grandchildren! Maybe someday you can come up here and visit them? Or they can go down to see you. They are getting big. (You must've been a young grandma when they camealong!) Do they live with their dad?
Yes, I'm getting worse with this gum girl...what is it that I want it all the time? I'm at about 6 pieces a day right now, sometimes even more. I think it's because I've been under a lot of stress, worrying about my health. I just wish I had never started again. My hubby had left a card of it out one day, and I had asked him if I could have a piece, and I've been hooked ever since. Before that I was just fine on the little 7 mg. patch, and some days I would forget all about it, and not even put one on until 3 in the afternoon!! I probably could've easily got off of them. I'm just not going to worry about it right yet...I've got this stupid thyroid mess I'm still trying to get straightened out. We'll get there someday Cindy, you'll see. Hey..I'm sorry about those stupid hot flashes. I know I hear a lot of my g-friends complain about them too. I've never had a real problem with them. I had them before my thyroid diagnoses, but they went away after I was treated. But see, I do take a 1/2 a gram of natural estrogen daily. But I did stop last year for about 6 months, and still no hot flashes. Are you sure that you don't want to try a small dose of nat. estrodial? I feel safe on it. My mom took it for many many years and never had a problem, unless if she stopped, then she had unbearable hot flashes. Have you tried vitamin E? Check out Suzanne Summers book, ...can't remember the name right now...Still Sexy, or something like that. I have it in the bedroom, but too lazy to get up.
Thanks for the info on the Beagles. I did let my DD know that, and it was news to her! We do want to get one, but not quite yet. Sounds like you are a real doggie lover! I know, they are good companions, and I think it would do my heart good to have one around here with me. I get lonely sometimes...
Hey, if they start using that pool that early in the AM, and waking you all up..well you all need to band together and raise holy-you know what!! And I know what ya mean about the vandels, we have them here too! Those kinda kids don't get much talk from their parents, do they?
Well, going to bed. We're leaving in the morning for the mountains/NV to get away for 2 days, IF I'm feeling up to it! Hubby thinks I need a change of scenery...I think he's right.
You hang in there girlfriend...
HUGS...Deda

Old 05-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hi Deda,

Yes, I know what you mean about the NRT. I seem to crave more and more. I guess it works the same way that cigs used to. It's hard to get satisfied sometimes. I heard somewhere recently that women have a harder time with it than men. I don't know why that is but it seems to be pretty accurate. Men sure have it good, don't they? The same thing goes for weight, men can take it off easier and faster than us. Not to mention, they age better too. It's just not fair
About the natural hormones, I do take an OTC one that normally works pretty well. I just think my body is overriding everything right now. I honestly don't feel like it's ever going to go away this time. I have to admit, I seem to have more hot flashes when I take a lozenge. I hate it when I meet with a new client and I break into a sweat. It's so unprofessional....sometimes I explain what I'm going thru. You can't really do that if you're talking to guys though. This hormone you're talking about.....is it something different? Do you have to get a perscription? I've been combining the OTC with additional black cohosh. I also take my calcium, vitamin e and selenium each day. The selenium is something that is supposed to help the lungs heal from smoking. I took that for a few years even before I quit. I figured it couldn't hurt.
As far as the pool goes, the people around here don't seem to mind or care. I don't understand it. I guess it's not as bad to them because they don't have it behind their backyard like we do. Maybe I'm just over anticipating it, I'll let you know when it opens. It will be in about 2 weeks.
I hope you're having a wonderful time in Nevada, you deserve some R & R.
Take Care,
Cindy

Old 05-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi there Cindy! This will be short, and I'll write more later, as I'm about to go out the door with dh. Just got back from visiting friends and dad down in S Ca. I'm pretty tired. Catching up on household chores, going out to run errends with hub, and I'll talk to ya soon. I'm glad to hear you are okay. Yes, still chewing it up over here, about 4 to 6 a day! One of these days I'll think about stopping, but not right now.

I'll post again soon. I hope you are doing well, and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
love, Deda

Closed Thread