It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
One Year Anniversary! I made it!

In about 24 hours, it will be 5/13/05, my one year anniversary since I stopped smoking! I recently started working in a small office where the other 3 women in there with me all smoke. They smoke in the office too. One is the owner! It's a bit of a problem since they smoke at the table while we are eating, so either I have to not join them and stay by myself or tolerate the smoke. I still will not start again and wanted to share my successful year with you. Phoebe

Old 05-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Harold Slauson HB User
Re: One Year Anniversary! I made it!

Congratulations on a wonderful milestone!!
I have a long way to go til I see a year smoke free, but I know I'll make it too!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
(female)

OTabby HB User

Phoebe,
Congrats & I hope You have many more years to celebrate.I quit the night before a lung cancer operation,happy to hear you're a Smart Gal.
Take Care JL †

Old 05-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

mwessell HB User

Congratulations...do not ever start again!

I also quit the night before a lung operation...so sad that is what it takes!

It has been 7 months, 4 weeks and 11 hours since my last butt...I have not smoked 4,809 butts and saved $1202.37. Life is good.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Well for me, it didn't take a lung operation nor a diagnosis to make me reach my decision to quit. I reached an epiphany and decided I had to quit or risk the fate both of you had. I still may since it takes 7 years for the lining of the lungs to regenerate, but as far as I know now. I am ok. I am happy that I have made it a year. Phoebe

Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe
In about 24 hours, it will be 5/13/05, my one year anniversary since I stopped smoking! I recently started working in a small office where the other 3 women in there with me all smoke. They smoke in the office too. One is the owner! It's a bit of a problem since they smoke at the table while we are eating, so either I have to not join them and stay by myself or tolerate the smoke. I still will not start again and wanted to share my successful year with you. Phoebe

WAY TO GO PHOEBE!!! That is SO wonderful, and I knew you would make it! I'm sorry though that you have to work around those that are still smoking. I think it's pretty rude that they continue to smoke, knowing there's a non smoker in there, (YOU), but I guess we were all rude and inconsiderate in our past as well. (Hate to admit it) Out here in CA they wouldn't get away with it , hopefully these laws will soon extend to all 50 states.

Anyway...again, a big CONGRATULATIONS to you! yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!
Deda

Old 05-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Thanks Deda. I had hoped you would visit. I noticed Friday that the smokers in the office were possibly smoking more outside rather than inside. It seemed a bit less smokey and the sweet candles were less. I think she'd like to keep me as an employee and leaving work with headaches from the candles and smelling like smoke not to mention getting it in my lungs could cause a person to seek employent elsewhere. Maybe the owner suggested that they try and take it outside. We shall see. Can you offer any suggestions re what nutrients to take to increase my chances of a healthy success over the long term? I hear Selenium helped. Phoebe

Old 05-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Phoebe- -
Oh, those darn smokers! LOL... First idea I want to give you, (if you haven't done this already), is buy yourself a small electric fan, and keep it pointed around your face, to keep the smoke away from your breathing air. See if you can open, (or crack) a window too.

As for supplements...yes, I take Selenium too, and Vita C and E, as they are all good antioxidents. Another one that I've recently started is called N-Acetyl Cysteine. It's an amino acid from what I heard, (on a lung board site) that's supposed to be great for clearing out the harmful oxidative stress in our bodies. That's what can lead to lung cancers, etc. I take 600 mg., 3 x a day, with each one I take a vitamin C, as that is what is called for, from what I read when I researched it. I also eat apples and red grapes daily, as I read that red grapes are high in anti-oxidants, and apples have some kind of substance that is good for lungs. I try to eat as many anti-oxidants as possible. At least 7 helpings of fruits and veggies per day. A serving is only a handful, or a 1/2 a cup. Watermelon, cantalope, sweet potato, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. The bright colored fruits and veggies being the very best. I also take Fish Oil supps, (reduces inflammation), Garlic, (good for your immune system), Evening Primrose Oil, (good for your skin), and many others, just to support my health, as I have thyroid troubles, (autoimmune). I walk at least 2 miles daily (5 x a week), to draw more oxygen into my lungs, and drink plenty of water. Also I drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day...also good for immune system. I try to eat nothing but healthy foods. (oh sometimes I cheat and have a few cookies, but not often) Salmon 2 to 3 times a week, a small amount of red meat only 1 time a week, (for iron), and plenty of whole grains. Almonds too are good for you. Maybe some of this helps, as I haven't had a cold or virus for 2 and 1/2 years now, which is unusual (I hear) for someone with my thyroid disease. I happen to believe that daily meditation is also a plus for keeping our immune system balanced.
Dr. Weil has some good books on vitamins and supplements. I'm always reading a new health book.
Don't forget to reward yourself, Phoebe, for reaching this milestone. You earned it, and really worked hard for it! How are you feeling now? I bet much better than a year ago, huh? I forgot, but how many years did you smoke?
So happy for you, Phoebe!
Deda

Old 05-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
(female)

hobbytools HB User
Thumbs up Re: One Year Anniversary! I made it!

I want to congratulate all of you for making it so far in your quits! My partner and I stopped smoking almost four years ago, and even though we occasionally think we want a cigarette, we want even more to not smoke. I turned 60 years old in April, and I smoked for 40 years before I stopped.

It still amazes me that I've been smoke-free for so many years, and I still dream about smoking once in a while and wake up very disappointed in myself until I realize it was only a dream. Thank whatever Powers there may be that so far I only have mild emphysema....

By the way, do you all reward yourselves for your various "anniversaries"? Rebecca (my partner) and I are supposed to go easy on the fat, but once a month for a couple of years we went out for a cheeseburger and all the "fixins'" to reward ourselves. When we think about it, we do it now. :0)

Sandy
One cigarette is too many;
10,000 are never enough.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

congratulations on your one year anniversary. i am hoping that one year from tomorrow i can say the same to myself.

karen

Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
Inactive

Phoebe HB User

Thanks so much for your support and congrats on your quits too. I bought some good vitamins, some Selenium, and a bottle of Co-Q-10. I have the Zinc, Magnesium, Flax Seed Oil, and Calcium. My vitamins from GNC have that amino acid, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, 500 mcg. I started in AlAnon 3 years ago and have that Program to help as well. I do feel better and haven't had a cold in a while either. I need to get a checkup from my doc to see where I stand now. If anything I am concerned abt possible Respiratory prob. It should be mild if there an issue. I smoked for 29 years 2 ppd. Yikes! I sort of reached an epiphany re my smoking. My HP was involved in that. I have gone back to college, just finished a semester, to work on a second career or add to the one I have tweaked in another direction possibilty. Smoking would inhibit me in more ways than one from doing that. Karen, you will make it. I wish you the best and the same to those who responded. Thanks Sandy for sharing your story. I am happy that you have only minimal problems. I wish you a healthful 3 more years to reach the magic 7 years. Deda, as always, thank you for such great info and support. Phoebe

Old 05-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Phoebe...sounds like you are doing all of the right things to keep yourself healthy. I know what you mean though about the worry, as I too smoked a long time, around 30 years. I think it is a good idea to have a chest x-ray and get checked up on every now and then. If for nothing else but our peace of mind. I'm planning to get a chest x-ray in the next few months. I had seen a pulmonologist 5 years ago after my brother passed from lung disease. I was so afraid to go, but everything checked out a-ok, and I even passed the PFT at 110% of normal for my age and height. Also had an x-ray. The Dr. said my lungs sounded good for someone who had smoked so long. (At the time, I was 4 months into a quit that didn't last but another month or two). He said that he can usually hear pre-emphysemic changes, but didn't really notice that in mine, maybe ever so slighty. Is that why I started back again, (?) dummy that I was then, thinking I still had some lee-way there or what? At least I got it right this time, for I know that I will never go back again, EVER!!
I forgot to tell you that I take the CoQ10 too, Phoebe. It's supposed to be good stuff...let's hope. And like you, I take cal-magnesium, copper, and a few others too.
Keep up the good work, you are doing great!
Deda

Closed Thread