It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Smile 2 Year Anniversary :)

Hi everyone....

Well yesterday I reached the 2 year mark...woooo-hooooooo!

I am so happy, and the truth is, I NEVER thought that I could do this, after 30+ years of chain smoking! (And LOVED EVERY cigarette I ever smoked!!!)

When I first quit and was coming to this board, I would read posts from people saying that they hadn't smoked in 2 years, and I would (in the back of my mind), think, "yeah right, I'lll never make it that long" .....AND HERE I AM!!!

Just want to say to all of you beginners,... please hang in there, don't ever give up...it's SOOOO worth the trouble, and it DOES get easier!! I NEVER crave cigs anymore, and I now hate smoking with a passion!!

Life is good.....
Deda

Old 09-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #2

Barrie HB User
Re: 2 Year Anniversary :)

well done dida im really pleased its been 2 yrs.. it will be nice when i can say ooooooooo yes 2years and i like you think its worth the bother i can even smell the people smoking in the car infront of me, and to smell someones breath while or after they have been smoking is somthing else, and to think i used to be like them ive been trying to educate my 2 brotheres into stoping seems we all seen my father die through coronary heart desise... i stoped on the 16th june this year and i aint even put one to my mouth

listen people give em up while you can and good luck also well done dida

barrie
xxx smoker

Last edited by Barrie; 09-25-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
(male)

Bharat2005 HB User

Congrats Deda!!!

Tobacco addiction is as bad as heroine addiction- both has a relapse rate of 70%. Quitting after 30 years is tough. Staying quit ever after needs a mighty will!!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Thank you guys!

Barrie-- I know what ya mean about the sense of smell returning to normal...sometimes I think it has become too super sensitive, as somes smells now drive me nuts! (Dryer sheets, car exhaust, etc.) But yes, we can really smell that cig smoke...yuck!
You hang in there, and I'm sure that you CAN and WILL get to the 2 year mark as well...you sound pretty determined! If you ever start to give in, ...well, come to this board before that ever happens, and we'll all try to stop you..(threaten your life!! lol) Your not smoking is setting a good example for your 2 brothers. Keep on telling them all the benefits, and how great you now feel,...maybe in time, they'll come around and want to give it up too! Good luck!

Bharat2005-- Thank you!! Yes, I have heard it's as strong, if not WORSE than heroin addiction...isn't that something!!?? It's a wonder anyone can quit! But with enough determination and mind power, WE CAN DO IT!!! I will NEVER smoke again! (And I can say this with 100% certainty!) Good luck to you too. (How long now for you?)

Have a great day!
Life is good.......
Deda

Old 09-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Inactive

pittguy578 HB User

Just wondering, how long did you smoke?

Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

pittguy--

I smoked for at least 30 years. I had quit at least 10 times too. This time for keeps!

Deda

Old 09-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
(female)

DaVinci HB User

Good for you Deda! I guess we know when it is truly the final quit....there's no question in your mind if we can do it .....of course we can...it's difficult but definitely not impossible. And will we go back to it?....of course not...no matter how stressful life becomes...it's not an option.
It's day 12 for me ....not bad ...still got the urge but not overwhelming and often totally forget about smoking.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up Re: 2 Year Anniversary :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci
Good for you Deda! I guess we know when it is truly the final quit....there's no question in your mind if we can do it .....of course we can...it's difficult but definitely not impossible. And will we go back to it?....of course not...no matter how stressful life becomes...it's not an option.
It's day 12 for me ....not bad ...still got the urge but not overwhelming and often totally forget about smoking.

Hi DaVinci...Thank you! And yes, you are SO right on...I will NOT go back to it, EVER!!! And talk about stress...I'm having the worst of it lately, and still don't want, (OR NEED), a ciggie!! What good would that do anyway??!!! Doesn't relieve stress for me, (any longer), and then I would end up with ANOTHER problem!! (Tryin to quit again).

So glad that you've made it this far...that is awesome, you keep going!! How are you doing this week? (I've been on vacation, and just returned early yesterday morning). Hang in there, Da Vinci, every day gets easier, and every month too!

Best o luck..
Deda

Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
(female)

fluffytoes HB User

Congratulations Deda, 2 years smoke free is an awesome achievement.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
(female)

chaser3968 HB User

congrads!!!!!! i hope i make it to the two year mark. i currently am on my 12th week and i feel great. now if only i could get my husband to quit too

Old 10-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Smile Re: 2 Year Anniversary :)

Thank you Fluffytoes!!! Best of luck to you!

Thank you Cathy. If you truly WANT to quit for good, you WILL make it to the two year mark,...and beyond! This was the 1st time I had quit, (out of many quits), that I can truly say, my desire to quit for good was totally 100% there...I guess that's why I've made it this far, and I know I won't ever smoke again! My hubby quit 6 months before I did...I had been trying for years to get him to quit with me. (So this was really the 1st time he really quit, after almost 38 years of smoking) He had me fooled quite a few times! He would "quit" only while at home, but away from home would continue to smoke. (I'd always discover later) This time he meant it, and even put up with me smoking around him for all those months. So don't give up on your DH, you're setting a good example for him...he might follow in your footsteps later! I wanted to quit too, but just wasn't quite ready...we have to do it when we are truly ready to,...not because of family wanting us to...so I did quit like I said, 6 months after he did. Anyway, it worked with patches, (later nic gum), this board, exercise, meditation, prayer, lots of walking, and being of strong mind, and faith. Don't give in girl, you are doing great! 12 weeks is a great start....1 quarter year already!

Best of luck...
Deda
Saw this today and thought it spoke volumes-- "I would rather be a NON SMOKER with an occasional desire to smoke, than a SMOKER that constantly wants to quit".

Old 10-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #12
(female)

Saraw08 HB User

Well done, Deda. You're an inspiration for us

Old 10-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Aw, thank you, Saraw08..that's so nice to hear. You all inspire me as well.

Deda

Old 10-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
(female)

Cookie531 HB User

Congratulations to you! Next week will be my husband's and my 9th month of quitting. We both quit together shortly after we found out my husband's mother has lung cancer. Sometimes it takes a shock to make you quit, and this certainly did. We both went on Wellbutrin at the same time and both quit on the same day. I must honestly say that I still miss those stupid cigarettes on occasion but I can live with it; it's certainly better than the alternative. Hang in there everyone, it's well worth it!

Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Thanks Cookie, and a big congrats to you and your hubby too! Yes, sometimes it does take an illness, or a death of a loved one to scare us straight, but whatever it takes. You will someday stop missing it..it took me a while before I didn't miss them at all. You're doing great tho...KEEP IT GOING!!!!

Best o luck!
Deda

Closed Thread