It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

99 stang HB User
Question wellbutrin

My doctor just precribed wellbutrin for me to see if it helps me to stop smoking. I was wondering if anyone has tried this method to stop smoking? What was ur results if any, and was there many or if any side affects? thanks for ur help. Marilyn

Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: wellbutrin

Hi Marilyn...

I did take Wellbutrin for only 3 weeks or so, before I quit smoking 2 years ago. I had some side effects, but it was hard to tell if it was from that, or starting thyroid meds, as I started both on the same day. It's confusing when one does that.

I did definitely notice that I craved cigs a LOT less! I really did! That part was great. Instead of smoking a pack a day, I smoked about 10 a day, or maybe even less. I remember thinking, "how weird,,....I haven't even thought of a cig for hours!", which was so rare for me..unheard of up till then! Also, another big one was, my appetite seemed suppressed! REALLY! I would rarely think about eating, and would suddenly remember, "hey, I haven't eaten all day!"... and then go eat, even tho I wasn't hungry. I've heard other people say this too,...and I have never heard of thyroid med's doing that. I quit taking them, as I started crying...a lot, and didn't even know why. I felt more and more depressed. So I quit taking them because of that.

My hubby took Wellbutrin too, to quit smoking, (almost 3 years ago)...he said he was fine with em, and the only problem he experianced was trouble sleeping...getting to sleep, and staying asleep all night. A few people in a smoking cessation class I was once enrolled in, said the same thing. Then there were others that had NO problems with it. We all have a different body chem, so we all respond differently to meds. You might adjust to them just fine!

Congratulations for deciding to quit...life is great smoke free! Come back and visit us again, and let us know how you're doing! We're here for you if need support!

Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

99 stang HB User
Thumbs up Re: wellbutrin

Hey Deda Thanks for your feedback on wellbutrin. Sounds like it worked for you & your hubby if it only took you a couple of weeks and you stopped 2 years ago! Well I started my first pill today so we will see how it goes I hope I have the same success you guys did, and if it helps with my
appetite as far as eating less that will be a double plus!
Thanks again & I will keep ya posted on "MY SUCCESS"

Marilyn

Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Way to go, Marilyn!

You WILL have success, if you really want to quit smoking! Just gotta have that strong will, (stubborness!) fierce determination, and you go girl! With the help of the Wellbutrin, (combined with above), I am sure that you can do it!! It was more our desire and strong determination, than the gum, patches, and Wellbutrin, more than anything, that my DH and I owe our success to! Those aids are great, but they are not the silver bullet! Our mind and how we use it is what makes us quit for good!!

Best of luck to you, and I'll be reading through your thread!
Deda

Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

I started Wellbutrin 3 yrs. ago hopefully to quit smoking. I was getting ready for major surgery and really wanted to quit. Done it before a number of times with success sometimes and other times less (3 yrs. , 1 yr. a few months another time). Anyway...didn't quit. Lost a bunch of weight..and now, 3 yrs. later just quit. Been 2 weeks. The truth..unless you are ready..it will be a struggle that you'll probably lose. When you are ready..whle not a piece a cake..its a whole different ballgame. I just do not want to smoke. Period. Thank god I lost the wieght first!

Old 12-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up Re: wellbutrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie115
I started Wellbutrin 3 yrs. ago hopefully to quit smoking. I was getting ready for major surgery and really wanted to quit. Done it before a number of times with success sometimes and other times less (3 yrs. , 1 yr. a few months another time). Anyway...didn't quit. Lost a bunch of weight..and now, 3 yrs. later just quit. Been 2 weeks. The truth..unless you are ready..it will be a struggle that you'll probably lose. When you are ready..whle not a piece a cake..its a whole different ballgame. I just do not want to smoke. Period. Thank god I lost the wieght first!

Congratulations, Josie! That's great that you finally did quit...it took me many tries too. I, like you, even made it to one year, a couple of times too!! Aw well, practice makes perfect, right??

True that it's not a piece of cake to quit...but also made easier with the help of NRT, and things like Welbutrin. We find, (at least I did) that we have a lot more strength than we thought we did! Well, at least *I* did...but my willpower was stronger with this last quit, because I REALLY, TRULY was sick of it, and wanted so bad to quit...so that's why it worked!! Life is great without cigs, messing up everything!! I've never been happier about anything else I've done...and proud too.

Good luck, and keep it going....
Deda

Old 01-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

dbackerfan HB User

Take it for at least 2 -3 weeks before your quit date. It helps tremendously with the irritability and mental symptoms. I don't think it helps with the cravings though. I took it for 3 months after my quit also and once I felt good about the quit stopped taking it. Have been smoke free for over 5 months now and only used the Wellbutrin and cold turkey

Old 01-03-2006, 02:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

marilyn....i had tried that in the past, got no side effects, however, kept on smoking. i am a 40 yr smoker, and need to quit also. i had success in the past, once with nr therapy, second with cold turkey. both times i lasted 4 mos. no matter how you do it, willpower, i believe is the only answer.
best of luck to you....bevann

Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

99 stang HB User

Well I have just now got a chance to come back here to read these posts! I am sorry to say it has been almost a month now that I have been taking wellbutrin and I have not seen any difference in my desire to stop smoking. I know that I should and I do want to but....I guess that is my problem right there. I know that I have to want to.......and I do but I think maybe I don't want to give up that morning coffee and cigarette. (oooh I'm sorry) there I said it. Well I do plan on trying alittle harder this month as my doctor still wants me to keep taking the medication. Thanks to everyone and there help, and to all those who HAVE QUIT GOOD JOB you have done what you have set out to do. Marilyn

Old 01-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

My mom used wellbutrin to quit smoking for three months. Unfortunately when the well butrin was gone, she started back to smoking.

She is now on Nicolette.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
(female)

99 stang HB User

Hey lane413

I know how hard it is is that nicorette gum or a patch?
Well I wish ur mom luck this time around seems like all the peeps I know that gave up cigaretts did it 'COLD TURKEY" I really have to try harder I know its not good for me with all my health issues! well keep us posted on her sucess!! Marilyn

Old 02-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

there is a difference between wanting to quit and needing to quit. we all NEED to quit....but we have to WANT to...and be serious about it. i took the wellbutrin a couple of years ago....didnt notice a difference at all. after watching my dad die a slow agonizing death from having emphysema almost a year ago....i got REAL serious. i got back on the wellbutrin....and after a couple of weeks, i went from 1-1/2 packs a day....to 1 a day. the wellbutrin really did make the cigarettes taste nasty....to where i would gag and almost vomit with just one puff....and i would have to put it out. however, i thought i had it licked with just one month on them....so i stopped taking them....BUT....at the wrong time. Still grieving, my dads birthday rolled around in november, then thanksgiving, then christmas.....it was all too much. so i ended up at 1 pack a day. a couple of weeks ago, my sister was unexpectantly diagnosed with stage 1 colon cancer.....after seeing the agonizing pain she went through.....then the emergency surgery....and then seeing how she will have to wear the colostomy bag for 3-6 months......i made up my mind....thats it! so, i am back on the wellbutrin...have been for 7 days....am back down to 1/2 pack a day....so i am getting there!.........you just really have to WANT to quit....needing to quit isnt enough.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

just wanted to let you know how i am doing....today, i was around my sister, who just quit smoking almost a month ago...COLD TURKEY....after she found out she had colon cancer. so i was courteous enough to not smoke around her. wellll...the last one i had was a 10 this morning........it is now 11 at night......and i havent smoked yet!!! of course i have thought about it....and get that anxious feeling in my chest...but i ignored it...and have done great! its all in your mind...the desire to quit, and your determination. no one ever thought my sister would quit smoking...she would fight you in a heartbeat over a cigarette...but since her cancer scare, and having to wear a colostomy bag for 4-6 months.....it scared her enough to quit, and her "bag" is a huge daily reminder of why she shouldnt go back to smoking..that alone is helping her realize that smoking is the worst possible thing she could do, so now, she has no desire to smoke.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

99stang.....here is the way it has to be done. i knew that i was going to take the wellbutrin...get it in my system, then work towards quitting....BUT...i didnt know how or when. i kept thinking that i was doing great by reducing how many i smoked....but....they key is....put them down and dont touch them again! as long as you smoke....whether it be 1 or 20....you are going to keep that desire to smoke...and not want to REALLY give it up. i had the wellbutrin in my system for 2 weeks when i made up my mind to quit. but when i decided that it WAS time.....i didnt play around....i just tossed them aside and said NO MORE! tomorrow will be exactly one week....YES!!!!!! yes, i have wanted to smoke....for a brief second or two here and there over this last week...BUT....i knew that I didnt want to....and i just said NO. it didnt take me a second or two to forget that i wanted one. i am on the wellbutrin xl by the way. it is that easy IF you truly WANT to quit. i always enjoyed smoking....and still enjoyed it last week when i decided to lay them down....BUT....i realized that what i was enjoying is KILLING me....not good for me at all....so once i truly realized that...and let it sink in....i didnt want to enjoy it anymore. its all in your mind....you need to re-program your mind. think of it this way.......what is something that you liked...but one day....you no longer could tolerate the taste of? ex...i grew up on whole milk...because of my daughter, i had to switch to skim....OH MY WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! YUCK!!! .......BUT....I got used to it...now....I CANT STAND WHOLE MILK!!!! its what we train our minds to think. sure, i would like to sit right now and enjoy a smoke....BUT...the end result will not be pleasurable. (suffering with emphysema or cancer)......why do u want to do that to yourself? if you have ever seen anyone die from emphysema....or suffer with the pain that cancer causes.....you would see that that "enjoyment" just isnt worth what you WILL go through one day.

now...as far as side effects....SUPPOSEDLY it decreases your appetite and helps with weight loss....i have yet to experience that effect with either time i have taken it!!! HUNGRY!!!!!!! i am having to FIGHT to not eat...so that I dont gain the weight. how long do you have to be on it for it to suppress your appetite???? that is really the only side effect that i have experienced from taking it. good luck to all of you.

Closed Thread