It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
how long to stay on wellbutrin????

i am just curious to find out how long one needs to stay on wellbutrin after quitting smoking? i quit feb. 16th......and do not want to or plan to smoke again. i still think about smoking here and there...not because i WANT to...but because it was a habit....say for instance talking on the phone...it was a habit to smoke and talk...so when i am on the phone...i feel like something is missing.....but i quickly get over thinking about smoking.

i did try wellbutrin a few months back...got down to 1 cigarette a day..and thought i had it licked...so i quit taking the wellbutrin because i was gaining so much weight so fast. a few days later...i started smoking more and more...and before i knew it i was back up to 1 pack a day. but i lost my dad last march...i started trying to quit smoking in october....his birthday was in november, then the holidays..so, i am questioning if thats why i went back to smoking...or if it was because i came off of the wellbutrin too quick too soon....i spoke to my dr about why i quit taking the wellbutrin....and he said that its not supposed to cause weight gain..just the opposite...suppresses your appetite...and weight loss......sooooo.....decided to try it again.......guess what???? i stay hungry and have gained 8 pounds so far...weight that i did not need to gain to start with!!!! before quitting, i was trying to lose at least 25 pounds..which everyone knows is a task!!!....i did manage to lose 5 pounds before starting the wellbutrin and quitting smoking.....and have gained 8 pounds back in 2 weeks!!

ok...aside from the weight gain.....i am questioning if the wellbutrin actually worked....or if it was just me being really serious and head strong about quitting smoking. i find myself getting irritated very easily.....plus upset about weight gain...which is depressing....having anxiety attacks quite often......all of this.....so am wondering what is it really doing FOR me??...i dont really see a difference...aside from not wanting to smoke...but i still have the "withdrawal" signs....but yet i am scared to not take the wellbutrin, because i am afraid that it MIGHT be what is keeping me from smoking...and i am afraid of coming off of it too soon...i just dont know what to do????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
(male)

biggsly1 HB User
Re: how long to stay on wellbutrin????

I have heard that most people stay on wellbutrin three months after quitting, and that it is okay to stay on for up to six months after quitting.

I have been on it since I quit on January 1. I have cheated here and there, but overall have been successful. I am confident it is b/c of the wellbutrin - this is my fifth time quitting, and thus far, it has been the easiest.

BTW - wellburtin has been known to reduce weight gain - not increase it. Since I quit I have actually lost five pounds b/c the wellbutrin has mildy suppressed my appetite.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i will try to hang in there for at least 3 months and stay on the wellbutrin...but i just feel like its doing something to me....that it shouldnt be....i just dont know how to explain it..i dont feel like my normal self. i feel ditsy, i feel like i am here, but not really, when talking, i forget what i am saying, and have to stop and think....then with the weight gain...that is depressing...i am not and havent been the "perfect" size since i had kids...but before i had kids, weight was never an issue...since kids...i have to work hard to keep the weight within normal range...well..lets put it this way...i have every jean size in my closet...from size 6-14...because i got tired of losing weight..having to buy more clothes, gaining weight, buying more clothes....i was just in a size 6 in october, went to a size 10 in 2 weeks after starting wellbutrin....and since starting back on it over a month ago, i am teetering with needing to go to a bigger size....so in my case....i really feel that it is the wellbutrin causing the weight gain...because while i was not on it...my weight remained the same...except for what i was trying to lose. then i gained it again once i started back on it. medications usually affect me differently than it does other people...strange! my mom can tolerate 1 mg of xanax...she is waayyy smaller than me...4'11" and i am 5'4"....she weighs 94 pounds...i am 150........but i can barely tolerate the 0.05 mg..it just knocks me out within 15 minutes.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Hi ladybug:

How are you doing with the quit? Great I hope

Can't advise you on the wellbutrin as I did not use any aids at all.

Yesterday was 5 weeks for me and I feel great! So happy.

Stay strong and stay quit!

Lot's of love.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

doing great!!! 3 weeks today!!! occasionally throughout the day i realize that i am doing something that i am normally smoking while i am doing it...and i want to get up and go smoke...out of habit, not really WANTING to. so it quickly passes once i tell myself that i am not interested in smoking!

i really dont know if the wellbutrin is helping...or hurting me. first of all, as i mentioned before, i am showing more signs of depression, but as you know....being close to a year since my dads death, that alone is enough to cause that problem.....and i am having anxiety attacks at least twice a day....so am scared that i am trading my nicotine addiction for the xanax. bt when those attacks come on.....i have no choice but to take the xanax. i will suffer through them until it grates on my nerves so bad and that causes me to feel worse...and more irritable than before the attack happened. so i feel like i am in a no win situation. BUT...no matter what my mood has been.....i have not turned to a cigarette to calm me down!! that is a major accomplishment alone! i am so proud of you, too!! if we can get through this next week without resorting to smoking.....i think we will be A-OK!!! good luck and God Bless You.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

if i make it...and i feel that i will....it will be 1 month this Thursday. i am now in the process of weaning myself off of the wellbutrin... it is truly messing with my head and my mind. at first, i felt kinda goofy...like i was here, but not really. then eventually depression set in...and it was getting very bad.....and i knew if i didnt do something now....i could end up on the suicidal end of depression. i had to take control...or it was going to ruin my life...literally. i did manage to get this far with the wellbutrin...i just hope that that was enough to get me well on my way to being a non-smoker. i am starting to notice urges here and there....and a couple of times, i was tempted to cave in...but i was determined that i am not going to be that stupid!! almost a month...not going back if i can help it!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
(female)

elizabeth_01 HB User

I am new to using message boards so please forgive if I don't follow proper etiquette. Just thought I would share my experience. I tried Wellbutrin and never did cut back on cigarettes because I could tolerate it only for 2-3 days. My feet and legs would get so jittery - something like "restless legs syndrome". They would feel like they were asleep - and jittery at the same time. It was so distracting and frustrating that I quit taking the medicine. Many years after, it seems that I remember hearing a TV report that if someone has high levels of B vitamin (maybe B-6 or B-12, can't remember), it can cause extreme nervousness.

Anyway, just curious, have you talked to the doctor that prescribed the wellbutrin and told him/her about your side effects? Seems I've heard that wellbutrin is not for everyone.

I'm also wanting/trying to quit. Right now, I'm cutting back. I say that each morning and sometimes keep the number of cigarettes a bit fewer than normal. I'm struggling with this because I'm very afraid of getting/having lung cancer because I have smoked since I was a teenager and I'm now 49. I was thinking this morning about either 1) going cold-turkey this weekend and/or 2) buying some of the nicotine gum. It seems to me that I'm very emotionally addicted to smoking as well as physically addicted. I wish I had someone to help me figure out the best thing to do to get rid of the cigarettes.

One last thing, be kind to yourself. It sounds to me like you are putting alot of stress on yourself by trying to keep your weight down while you're going through giving up cigarettes. I'm a bit on the heavy side (155 lbs) and I've told myself that my lungs and giving up a lifelong addiction are top priority right now and if I gain weight - so be it. I will go on a diet later on.

I hope that I didn't "soap box" too much. Really, I am only trying to be helpful by sharing some of my experiences and thoughts.

Hang in there!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

elizabeth 01....thanks for your reply. no i havent spoken to my dr this go round. the last time i tried it...(last october) it made me stay hungry and gain weight..so i quit taking it...then talked to the dr in dec....he said that it couldnt have been the wellbutrin...cause it was supposed to do the opposite...make me less hungry and lose weight....so i tried it again....same thing!!! as far as weight...i too, am already a touch on the heavy side...around 150....i commented last night about me being fat and hubby said no.you are not obese...when you get obese...then you have a problem...right now...you are just chunky! LOL. i worry about my weight because when i was pg...i got up to 198 pounds...and it took me 2 years to get that weight off...and i HATED being that big. so...i tend to watch myself because it is soooo easy to put the weight on....and soooooo hard to get it off. i would LOVE to be 120-125 pounds...but that just seems soo far away!

as far as smoking...i watched my dad die from emphysema...it will be one year this friday.....if you have ever seen anyone die that way...i dont think it would take much to convince you to stop smoking....i knew i was going to quit...it was the grieving that i had to work through first....then watching my sister suffer horribly in january due to colon cancer....that done it for me. i realized that as much as i loved smoking....it just is not worth the suffering that i will endure later in life. i tried many times just cutting back....but that never led me to quitting.

if you will limit yourself where you can smoke...you will see a difference. for instance...i quit smoking inside the house 7-8 years ago....major difference in how much i smoked...especially in the winter time....way tooo cold to go outside just to smoke!! that is one way that you can help yourself cut back. in doing that....you will soon be able to smell how horrible cigarettes really do stink...and how horribly that make you stink. they really do....its not something non-smoking people say for the heck of it.

i really wish i could give you some better answers.....but if you sincerely WANT to quit...it can happen. you just have to want it bad enough to make it happen. easier said than done i know! Good luck to you.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
(female)

elizabeth_01 HB User

Ladybug8372 - thanks for the reply. I appreciate your sharing what's happened to you. I am very sorry for your loss of your father and in such a painful way. I haven't experienced that. I've heard that it's a strong motivator to quit smoking. Problem for me is that I've smoked for a long long time and that I have always enjoyed smoking. But, I fear it. I have quit twice - once when I was in high school and then again about 6 years ago. Six years ago, I quit because I was trying to get pregnant and thought stopping might help. My husband and I both did hypnosis and we stayed quit for about 2-3 months and then we both started back. I started back because I got bad news about a pregnancy test and got on the pity-pot.

After reading your post, I might try Wellbutrin again. I had problems with it before but I was taking high dose of B-6 or B-12 (can't remember which) for carpal tunnel. Later, I heard that Wellbutrin and high dose of some B vitamin don't work well together and that's what caused me to have restless/nervousness.

I had wondered if Xanax might help relax me some in my quest to quit smoking.

I've never much tried the patch or gum. I'm kind of afraid of the patch since you have to wait 2 hours after taking patch off before smoking a cigarette and I never trusted myself to wait that long if I was having a craving. I think I'd be more comfortable with the gum.

Other than weight gain, did the Wellbutrin work well for you. Can you help me by telling me how it helped your cravings and your thoughts. When I'm trying to slow down or not smoke at all - smoking is all I can think about. It's maddening.

I want to quit and think I've been looking for an easy way, but I guess there is no easy painless way. However, what's your opinion of an effective way?

Sounds like you've gone through some of the same things I'm going through in your quest to quit smoking. I would love to hear any of your ideas and suggestions.

Take care.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

thanks for your kind words. losing dad...especially in the manner that i did..was extremely hard. watching, hearing, and seeing him beg for oxygen, for someone to help him because he couldnt breathe during his last hours was just plain horrible. i vowed that i would never put my kids through that...and i pray that i can stay strong enough to ensure that they dont have to go through that with me.

Please read my other post on "Doing good for now"....I bumped it up for you...that will explain in detail how I went about quitting this time.

The wellbutrin is great....BUT....you have to allow yourself to actually put the cigarette down....even though i was slowing down...forgetting to smoke....i would not allow myself to totally quit.....when i ran out of cigarettes...it was just such an automatic thing to buy more. but i eventually decided..i am NOT smoking anymore! and it has been easy....due to the wellbutrin. it really does help...but YOU have to take the first step in actually helping it to work....take it for a couple of weeks...then go about your day...and hopefully...you will realize that you forgot to smoke..or that you arent smoking as much....you have to ALLOW it to work...by refusing the temptation...and you will find that when you decide to say to yourself....I dont want a cigarette right now"......it will get easier and easier to get through the day. BUT...as I said...it did give me very unwanted side effects....so if you do decide to start them....be aware of your daily moods, pay attention to yourself....and if you start noticing a change in your moods or behaviors....you need to WEAN yourself off of them. the effects do not always start immediately....it can take 1-3 months for changes to occur...so as soon as you notice something is not right.....make the decision then to wean yourself off...(taking it every other day for a couple of weeks). I just wish that it hadnt messed with my head....because I felt confident that after 3-4 months of it....that I would be totally successful in quitting smoking and being able to quit the wellbutrin......but since its only been a month of quitting (but I have been on the wellbutrin since the end of January)...I question if thats long enough to keep me from going back to smoking.

i do take xanax......i suffer from anxiety...moreso now that i have quit smoking...BUT.....it is a side effect from Wellbutrin....so I dont know if its because of the wellbutrin or if its anxiety from my body wanting the nicotine...but i take it when the anxiety gets bad...and it does help.

i hope this post...as well as the other post helps you.....please ask me any questions that you have.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
(female)

brutus11 HB User

I used it to quit last year on my birthday-I also joined a gym and became a dedicated work out nut,that seemed to do the trick for me-until I had to have surgery. I couldn't go to the gym for almost 2 months and it was driving me crazy. SO after 7 months of being smoke free I started cheating. BUt I believe Zyban and the gym helped me immensely. I am going to quit again in a about 10 days. I have lost over 40 pounds since I quit the first time last year. I still go to the gym 3 times a week and do cardio 6 days a week. The only time I have problems with food now is when I'm smoking-give an inch take a mile. THe zyban makes the smokes taste really bad-they also seem to make me a little light headed. any ways thats my experience hope it helps

Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
(female)

brutus11 HB User

I used it to quit last year on my birthday-I also joined a gym and became a dedicated work out nut,that seemed to do the trick for me-until I had to have surgery. I couldn't go to the gym for almost 2 months and it was driving me crazy. SO after 7 months of being smoke free I started cheating. BUt I believe Zyban and the gym helped me immensely. I am going to quit again in a about 10 days. I have lost over 40 pounds since I quit the first time last year. I still go to the gym 3 times a week and do cardio 6 days a week. The only time I have problems with food now is when I'm smoking-give an inch take a mile. THe zyban makes the smokes taste really bad-they also seem to make me a little light headed. any ways thats my experience hope it helps

Old 03-24-2006, 06:15 AM   #13
(female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

Hi

I started Wellbutrin March 1st, quit smoking March 10th and stopped Wellbutrin March 18th. I am still smoke-free. I had cravings on Wellbutrin and I have cravings now. This is my first quit in 40+ years,so can't compare Wellbutrin to other things like patch, gum, etc. But with Wellbutrin it was really not htat hard to quit. I thought it would be harder. Problem now is to stay quit.

Hope this helps.

Alexa

Old 03-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi everyone,
Well, I hope it's ok to join in here. I have a bottle of wellbutrin sitting here since Tuesday. I'm a little scared to take it, as I tend to have bad reactions to meds. I saw this post and it has eased my mind a little. (I do have benadryl standing by, in case I get a reaction to it.)
I plan on stopping the cigarettes in the morning. And maybe taking the wellbutrin tonight...but still it scares me to do that. I also have the patch standing by, but am thinking I should get the gum instead (to take care of that oral thing).
I've tried quitting so many times and failed, that scares me too! Can I do it? I don't know. Do I have to? Yes! I had a ct scan this week for another reason and they found a 5mm nodule in mu lung, but it's too small to know what it is. Have to go back in 3 months to check it out again. Am I scared? You bet! I need to quit. Quitting scares me. Wellbutrin scares me.
I want to take the wellbutrin...but will it really help with that craving thing? Or the anxiety thing? I need encouragement to quit, so I just want to thank you for starting this thread, as it has already helped a bit.
Hellas

Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i personally do not think that if you start wellbutrin tonight....that it will work for you that quick. most people are on it for a week or two before quitting smoking...because the wellbutrin has been in your system long enough to make you not really want to smoke. BUT...if you do take it tonight and do not want a smoke tomorrow....WAY TO GO!!!!

i suffer with anxiety...and have to take xanax for it......i have had to take the xanax more than twice a week now...whereas i generally might would need it once a month. so..if you have anxiety...i would ask your dr to put you on xanax..that will also help ease you through the tough times.

as far as the patch, gum, etc........stop and think about that. that is nicotine...therefore, you would still be putting what you are addicted to into your body....and what you really need is to get it out of your body...in order for your body to NOT crave it. the wellbutrin is the best.....and if you need something to put in your mouth....try peppermints or something.....for anxiety...the xanax...i tried the patches several times....and finally realized that i want the nicotine out of my system....not just the cigarettes out of my hands! thats when it dawned on me that the patches are kinda ridiculous. good luck!!! if you ever feel a desire to smoke....come here first....vent.....do whatever you have to...yell at us if you want....or make jokes at us....just do it until that urge gets over with.

Closed Thread