It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Unhappy need to stop smoking

Since it was on the news that Dana Reeve died from lung cancer - CNN has been broadcasting many different reports about the dangers of smoking/lung cancer. I need to stop smoking now and I really don't know where or how to start. I've tried the patch a few years ago, and didn't sleep for 2 weeks. I have nicorette gum, so maybe that would be better for me. None of my friends smoke or my husband. My family hates when I smoke and are after me all the time to quit. What scares me most is the fact that many people have quit smoking years ago, and still have died from smoking related cancers later on. Of course, it's better never to have started, because it's just like any other drug - it takes hold of you through and through. Some people stop "cold turkey". I give them alot of credit. Any ideas for me???

Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: need to stop smoking

i have smoked a pack a day for 17 years....for me to get dead serious about quitting smoking...it took very close to home family illnesses to open my eyes real big. my dad died from emphysema last march 17th...almost a year ago. that was horrible to watch. but dealing with grieving....i just could not deal with trying to quit. i attempted..several times..trying cold turkey....trying the patch.....but just couldnt give it up completely. my sister was just diagnosed in january with colon cancer....she is only 45 years old!! i am 33. seeing the horrible pain she suffered before we knew what was wrong (we took her to the ER thinking that her bowels were severely impacted...just to learn it was cancer blocking her from having BM's)....she had to have emergency surgery....and now wears a colostomy bag..it is temporary....but regardless....it would be horrible to have to wear in more ways than one. if you dont know what that is...or anything about it....read up on it. with my dad illness, i knew i did not want my kids to ever watch me die a slow agonizing death..as i did with my dad. with my sister's illness...i do not want to put myself at a higher risk for getting ANY kind of cancer...after all that i have seen that she has gone through. i just could not live any longer if i ever had to wear a colostomy bag....temporary or not. so.......i made up my mind...that is it, i am not playing anymore.....i am DONE with smoking. i always enjoyed smoking...i really did....but i realized through this...what is there to enjoy about something that will later on put me through h*** and torture?? so, my dr prescribed me wellbutrin xl...within 2 weeks of it being in my system...i felt i was ready....funny how it actually happened. i had to take my sister to the dr...since her scare...she quit smoking cold turkey....so i didnt want to smoke around her...so when i dropped her off....i smoked....it happened to be the last cig. in my pack. this was 10:15 in the morning. i just couldnt wait to get her home so that i could stop and get some. so....after i dropped her off....i just simply was not in the mood to stop anywhere....(i get like this at times)....so i just decided to come on home. that evening....i got antsy...wanting to smoke....so i went to the store and bought a pack...i drove home...and as i was getting out of the car..i said to myself "now wait a minute, i am not doing this!!! its stupid to try working on smoking and yet keep buying cigarettes!!"....so i brought the cigarettes in....still unopened....and put them in the drawer. it has been almost 3 weeks since i last smoked!!! the unopened pack??? i threw them on top of my cabinet out of sight...out of mind. i do not want to smoke...i do not miss it....i do not crave it. so....is it the medication..or my determination to not die from a horrible illness?? i dont know...but i am not coming off the medication until i feel certain that i will not go back to smoking. (3 weeks is just too soon to make that determination...once i have been "clean" for 3 MONTHS....i might come off of the meds then.

as far as your statement of "what scares you the most is that you know of former smokers that still ended up getting cancer".....think really hard on this matter. not every smoker gets cancer....there are non smokers that get cancer.....there are little kids that get cancer that have NEVER smoked..obviously!!...plus your former smokers that get cancer....so....is it REALLY cigarettes that CAUSES cancer???? --or are we ALL just BORN with the cancer gene...and it "activates" on some people...and some it doesnt?? what causes heart disease in people that have never smoked??? some with no family history of heart disease??....its things that happens...that no one really knows why...they just want to point on one thing and thats all they want to focus on. everytime you turn around....this causes cancer...that causes cancer....even things that once was "good for you" might cause you to get cancer!! i have joked for many years, that one day we are going to hear that the glue on the envelopes that we lick to seal them...is gonna be the cause of cancer!! i feel they just GUESS as to what causes it.

i may or may not ever get cancer....i may or may not ever get emphysema...one never knows. but...i do know that smoking is not good for you....it cant be....so i am not going to do anything to "increase" my risk of getting cancer...or any other illnesses....i feel that smoking may "increase" your risk....but it does not "cause".

i hope you do commit to quitting....in my opinion your first step is to decide that you really are done with smoking....you have to WANT to quit...not just NEED to quit...big difference there. the second step is to have this medication prescribed...and allow it to work. i tried wellbutrin a couple of years ago....when i really wasnt serious about quitting....and i didnt see where it made any difference. i got on it again last october...and was determined to quit....got down to 1 a day....but...slipped..because my dads birthday, then the holidays....it was just too much to bear....and i quit taking the meds....after just a month....and quickly went back to a pack a day. this time, i didnt wean myself down to a certain number a day.....i just simply laid them down. i knew that if i didnt make myself do that.....i would NEVER quit.....no matter how long i would make a pack last me....1 day....or 2 weeks....i would still run out to buy another pack....leaving myself the room to increase how many i smoked. so...i refused to smoke another cigarette! the reason i still have them here??? comfort zone....like a baby with his blanket....as long as they are here....i am ok....if i threw them away....i would feel that anxiety that i always felt when i ran out. thats the way it was everytime i tried to quit in the past...so this time...i decided i would not throw them away...that way my "mind" would not go crazy..LOL. but i really do not want to smoke...i have even been upset....crying....and did not even think about resorting to smoking....i handled things all on my own...without my "crutch".

Good luck.

Last edited by ladybug8372; 03-07-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I have lost a number of friends who were ex-smokers who got cancer even though they quit smoking. But, you need to consider these people died in there '80s, so they did live a fairly normal life span. Few of us get to chose the way we die, to be able to live long enough is a blessing in itself.

Go ahead and quit now, it will be the best thing for you and your life. Make sure you see your kids and grandkids grow up. There are people who die from lung disease at an early age, don't be one of them. Best of luck,

Old 03-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Have you tried the nicotrol inhaler. That has helped me more then any other aid. Maybe it is the hand to mouth thing. Just like the real thing but it has worked for me. My husband stopped smokeing 29 years ago cold turkey but last May he was Diag with LC.The doctors told me that if you have smoked for 2 years the damage has already been done but I really doubt that.They just need a reason to say why an ex smoker got lung cancer any way. Good luck.
Lorrie

Old 03-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

yes--they need an "excuse" to blame cancer on smoking....they are forgetting that pesticides, and any other environmental smells that you breathe in....can cause cancer....funny how they can only remember that when its a non smoker that has cancer....that has worked in pesticides, etc.

i do not feel that smoking is good for anyone...but i do not agree that smoking is the cause of every smokers cancers.....cause it just isnt so.

how do babies get cancer, kids?? non smokers?

we are all born with the cancer gene...its just a question of IF/WHEN it will materialize into actual cancer....that sounds like the best answer anyone can get/give

why do doctors go to school for eons and yet still be so ignorant??

Old 03-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I want to kick myself for ever having started to smoke in the first place. For sure, as we all know, it's a terrible addiction. I have nicorette gum, so I'll start with that. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and will talk to him about helping me. It's strange how I have never cared for alcoholic beverages, yet I'm having such a difficult time giving up cigarettes.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
(female)

shelley49001 HB User
Lightbulb Re: need to stop smoking

You have it all right....Smoking sucks and it sucks to quit! You might want to ask your doctor about Zyban..its a wonder drug..its an anti depressant which actually makes you NOT want a cigarette, I did this: I picked a day I wanted to quit, I started taking zyban and on the 8th day I quit, and never went back to smoking, the withdrawls were easier and I had alot of family support. My husband at that time was a smoker and still is (he has throat cancer, we are divorced) I tried to get him to quit with me, but he didn't want too and still smokes to this day with cancer...guess it doesn't matter now! Anyways, zyban does NOT contain anything to do with smoking, I.E. nicotine, tar, poisons...that way if you need some extra help with quitting while taking zyban you can use the gum or inhaler, or the lozenge if you needed to. I stayed smoke free for 2 years until I started babysitting for a friend of mine (or so I thought) for her 4 kids..She was lonely and enjoyed talking for hours after she got home from work..anyways she got me started on smoking again and its been 6 years. I just quit again for the final time..I am using Commit Lozenges, they work wonderfully,...but I am a firm believer that anything will work for you to quit, but you have to REALLY WANT TO QUIT... I give other's credit for going "cold turkey" I just can't do it...but with the help of commit I am able to quit and feel pretty good, sure I get cravings...that is normal since I am "addicted" to nicotine...but soon I will be able to say that I am a NON SMOKER once again...I will forever stay that way...Each time you quit and start again, it makes it that much more harder to quit the next time...SO keep up the good work and remember you are quitting for you!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
(female)

Jamarican30 HB User
HELP!!! CAN'T completely quit

:Hi I'm new here! But I also want comment on Zyban. I started zyban nearly a month ago. It does work however you have to want to quit. I only take one pill per day and I still smoke about 2 to 3 cigarrettes per day. I also want to quit not only for myself but also for my twins. I don't want to use patches because I feel that it is the same as smoking. Any suggestions???confused:

Last edited by Jamarican30; 03-22-2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: message not displayed

Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

yes i have a suggestion.......since you are now down to 2-3 a day....lay them down!! just make yourself do it....its most likely easier than you think. i was on the wellbutrin for a couple of weeks (started jan 28th) to help me quit smoking....and ran out of cigs at 10:15 on the morning of feb 16th.....and TRIED to not buy anymore...but by 4:00...i got very antsy...so drove to the store and bought a pack....i got in my driveway and said to myself....."i aint doing this!!!!!" i brought the pack...unopened might i add....and just threw them in the drawer...where they stayed for about 2 weeks....then i took them and threw them up on top of my kitchen cabinet (near the ceiling)...still got them...but have NO desire to smoke. i even weaned myself off of the wellbutrin as of march 10th.....due to it causing bad depression....and took my last pill on march 15th----i still have no interest in smoking. so....thats your answer......just simply lay them down and forget them. having that pack here was like a "security blanket"----just knowing they were here gave me the satisfaction i needed.......so maybe you can try that.....also.....keep busy. there will be times that you will think about smoking...but for me...it was just a habit....ex--smoking while on phone....so when i talk on the phone...for a split second, i think about smoking....not because i want to...just because it was a 16 year old habit.

i felt the exact same as you...the patches, gum ,etc.....is just another form of getting nicotine...so i didnt see where that benefits anyone....the whole idea is to quit smoking....the patch is ONLY training you to not have a cigarette in your hand.....you are STILL getting the nicotine!!!..the quicker you are able to get the nicotine out of your body...the better!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 AM   #10
(female)

shelley49001 HB User
Arrow Re: need to stop smoking

Yes, that is good advice to just lay them down..BUT if you feel the urge to still smoke, go out and buy commit lozenges...YES they are nicotine..but you can control your intake...When I took Zyban, they gave me the desire to quit, after taking the drug for 2 weeks, it totally killed my taste for smokes..and of course I ended up with all the "side effects" of zyban...like thrush in my mouth...(very rare side effect) nothing tasted good and YES I was ready to quit and thus I did and never picked up a cigarette for 2 years...NOW I am in the process of quitting again (4 days and counting) this time I am using commit, the juices you swallow is nasty, but they taste ok, I got the mint flavor. Just decide what you want to do and just do it! The sooner the better or before you know it, You will be up to a full pack a day!! and will have to start all over again...I still feel the urge to just pick one up and just smoke it, but the reasons why I am quitting to begin with just sort of creep up and so I take a lozenge and the urge is gone..I keep doing that until I am free of that nasty devil...YOU CAN DO THIS, WE ALL CAN!!

Old 03-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

personally...i dont think sucking on a commit lozenge is a good thing...cause thats putting the nicotine back into your system....that you have already worked so hard on trying to get out of your system.....if you feel the need to suck on something....make it peppermints or something.

if you sincerely WANT to quit...you will not cave in and resort to smoking, no matter what. cigarettes were my way of keeping my sanity...calmed me down when i got stressed or upset....now that i am not smoking....i dont know how to deal with stress or getting upset....BUT...even though i think about it for a split second...i DO NOT resort to smoking.....because i know thats not what i truly want to do. i witnessed my dad die a HORRIBLE, AGONIZING death from emphysema a touch over a year ago...then just shy of a year of his death, my sister was diagnosed with colon cancer.....once you have seen both of these situations first hand.....thats all it will take. i am now re-training my mind....i do not want, nor do i need a cigarette!!!!!! yes, they are enjoyable....but what i will eventually face just is not worth that pleasure. thats all that its about....re-training your mind.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
(female)

kymbo12345 HB User

I stopped five weeks ago by using patches, I'm on the lower level of nicotine now, BUT I have felt really nauseus when I put them on and for the past two days, I haven't used anything.
I think i have had some sort of virus, but am feeling better tonight. Do I try another patch tomorrow? The fact that my body hasn't had any nicotine for nearly 3 days seems a bit daft to put one on! On the other hand as I'm feeling better in myself, will my dreaded 'Will power' be enough!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

if you sincerely WANT to quit smoking...and have had no nicotine in your system for 3 days...why on earth would you want to put a patch on?? thats just prolonging your addiction to nicotine. i am one that has extremely little willpower...but by golly i am not ever smoking again!!! i quit feb 16th and i aint going back! i dont care how depressed i get, how angry i get....i am not even going to let anyone upset me enough to go light up...i am just not going back to smoking. if you dont think about your willpower...or lack of...and think of other things...such as exercising, cleaning, or just having fun.....i bet you wont even think about smoking...and even if you do...talk yourself out of it....re-train your mind! good luck

Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #14
(female)

kymbo12345 HB User

Thanks Ladybug. I won't be using the patches now - I'll just keep looking on this site instead!
What a terrible state we are in, just over cigarettes! I think the key thing is really WANTING to do it. I've had so many attempts before, but being on the wrong side of 40 now has made me realise something has to be done! I will keep on - after only 5 weeks, I do feel better and funnily enough an awful lot of pressure is off me now, because I haven't got to worry about not being able to smoke at work, or if I have I got enough fags to last over night! Don't have to wash my hair everyday! Don't have to stand in my garden freezing while having one! Don't have to hide the ashtrays if friends come round!
OOh! I feel even better now!!

Come on, we can all be happy non-smokers!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

lol..i know what you mean!! i never smoked around my parents or in-laws....(funny thing is all of my side of the family are smokers!!..i just never felt comfortable smoking around my parents though..but they did know i smoked)......for 6-7 years...i have smoked outside...but---i ALWAYS slowed down on smokin in the wintertime!!!!----LOL just wasnt worth freezing my butt off! and the hair....never mind how horrible it makes your clothes stink! I never realized that until i started smokin outside...and then go to my moms....OH MY!!! i NEVER go anywhere except home after i have been to her house!!!

I had attempted several times to quit as well...patches, cold turkey, you name it....but the key was that i THOUGHT i wanted to quit...but i really didnt. but this time...it was different...i REALLY WANTED to quit....and thats made the difference! good luck. if ever you get agitated or whatnot...come here and vent....instead of smoking! YOU CAN DO IT!

Closed Thread