It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Anyone addicted to nicotine gum? (Worried)!!

I have been chewing nicotine gum off and on for the last 3 years. I temporarily quit the gum when I got pregnant with my twins, and then 2 months after they were born I got a little stressed, and instead of cigarettes, I bought some nicotine gum. Well now almost 2 years later I am still hooked. I am wondering if there are dangers using it for this long. I am sure it's far better than smoking, but for me that's not good enough. If anyone has had problems with prolonged use with the gum please let me know. And if you have any tips for quitting the gum also let me know!!

Thanks in advance,
Mommaoftwinsplus1!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Wink Re: Anyone addicted to nicotine gum? (Worried)!!

Hi Momoftwins....

Ohhhhboy...you and ME BOTH!!!!! LOL hee hee...I've been trying to get off of it for months now, and my hubby has too. He quit smoking 3 years ago this month, and is still chewing the g. He did quit the gum for a month once, about, I don't know, a year and a 1/2 ago, but he looked so sad and depressed, I mean, I never saw him smile or laugh for that whole month, that when I next went to Walmart, I picked him up another box! He seemed to cheer up, real fast!!

Me..well, I quit smoking 2 and 1/2 years ago this month, (24th) and I really first quit using the patches, (which I would highly recommend to anyone seeking to use NRT, over the gum anyday!). Truth of the matter is...we love this gum and the taste of it, etc. It's funny, cuz I was on the patches, and down to the small 7 mg patch, and most days I was even forgetting to put one on until like 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Then one day, (my hubby was always leaving little packs of gum laying around the house), and I picked one up and asked him if I could have a piece and I've been hooked ever since. I did manage early last month to actually get off of it for a whole week, and was using the patch, (7 mg), and again, was not needing them until late afternoon.

So, was seemingly doing okay without the gum THAT WEEK, and then I was really upset about something one night, and that was it...I was like, screw it..who cares!! I have managed to cut down since then, and I now cut my 2 mg pieces in 1/2, and chew anywhere from 3 to 5 pieces a day. I think I'm just going to have to not buy anymore, and go back to my little patches for a few weeks and then just stop those and sweat it out. Actually, I think I'll do okay getting off the patch...it's just the gum I love!! It's going to take a lot of mental work, meditation and just good old keeping real busy, for a while anyway!! I smoked for near 3O years, and quit about 1O times. In fact, I quit with the gum when it first was released to the market, (prescription only back then), around 1983 or 84? We were in a test group at an Air Force hospital. They gave us all of the gum we wanted too...funny thing, I wasn't as hooked on it then as I am now!!

Let's try to figure out this one together?? I had another friend on here that was , (and still is) hooked on the longezes. Maybe again it's just that oral gratification....we all are so used to, after years of smoking???

Hope to hear from others too, hopefully some people like ourselves, badly hooked... but managed to stop!!

As far as it being bad for us....my hubby and I asked my Dr. at one of my check ups, (she was shocked when we told her how long we'd been using it!) and she said,....you know..I can't remember?! When my DH gets home from work I'll ask him. I guess it wasn't anything too bad, but there was something she said...

I did read not too long ago, that it can interfere with the bodies ability to renew cells,...which is NOT what we want, as we want out lungs to heal up after all those years of smoking.

Lots of my friends have said, (including my doc), "Why don't you just chew regular gum??" Yeah right...wish it was that easy!! I bought us packs and packs of every flavor of reg. gum, and most of it tasted so horrible! Funny, cause I used to love to chew carefree sugerless bubble gum before I quit smoking...now it tastes horrible!!

I think it's just going to have to be like my cigarettes...all or nothing at all!! Every box I buy, I say, "NO MATTER WHAT, THIS IS GOING TO BE MY LAST BOX!!!"....then I'm sneaking off to buy more, all red faced!! LOL

Keep in touch...
Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

Stavia HB User
Re: Anyone addicted to nicotine gum? (Worried)!!

I quit smoking 6 months ago tomorrow, using nicotine gum. I'm down to 1 piece a day now. I've deliberately taken it very slowly and gradually because I've quit many times before, but couldn't stay quit and I really want this to be my last quit.

I've heard it said that nicotine gum is addictive, but I don't really understand that. I think, yes, of course it's addictive, because it has nicotine in it, and nicotine is an extremely addictive drug. But isn't any nrt addictive in the same way ? I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense. I'm aware of still having a mild addiction, but I think it's to nicotine, not the gum. The gum is just a delivery system, right ?

Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Stavia...

Yep, I think any NRT can be addictive, because nicotine iIS such a powerful, addictive drug, but I do think in the form of GUM and maybe LONGEZES it's probably more so. That's just my opin as I have used both the gum and patches.

Congratulations on your quit Stavia, and stick to that one piece a day and you'll probably be fine. You sound like you have good self control. I do agree with you, I think people have more success when they don't get off the NRT too quicky...as long as they don't get too carried away with it...like my husband and I did.

Deda

Old 03-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
(male)

Siouxlander HB User

The first time I quit smoking I used just regular Dentene gum and I was able to quit the smokes but I got hooked on the gum. I would go nuts if I ran out of gum at night...sometimes had to go to the store just to get gum. I traded one addiction for another I eventually started smoking again. I quit cold turkey the next time and stayed far away from any kind of gum, candy, or anything that I would become physically addicted to...it has been 10 years now and I really do feel great! All the misery you are going through now will definetly pay off. Hang in there!

Old 03-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I guess we can get addicted to ANYTHING,huh Siouxlander??

Congratulations! 1O years smoke free is AWESOME!!!!

Deda

Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

UPDATE ON ME AND MY NIC GUM ADDICTION:

Well, I finally ran out of gum, Sunday evening. We even went to W-mart on Sunday night to get some groceries, and although I was very tempted, I didn't buy any. Boy..funny how the price has gone down SO much the past couple of months!! They had the BIG box, (17O pieces) for only 39. (something a box!!!) Seems a year ago, (and even less) we were paying about 57.OO for that very same box!! It's the store brand, but we actually like it better than the brand name.

Anyway, went all day long WITHOUT any gum, and felt okay, except for a few funny feelings in my head, later yesterday. Today I put a patch on, (the little 7 mg one), about 1 PM, and when I run out of this box of 14, (13 left), THAT'S GONNA BE IT!!!!!! NO MORE!!!!

I hope I can do this!! (YIKES!) Well, I AM just going to do it no matter what!!!! There's--I said it, and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Deda

Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Good luck Deda...maybe I should try too! Maybe once my gum is all gone I should resist temptation to buy more. I have to say to myself..."I can't chew it anymore if I don't buy anymore". So true, but it's hard. Hang in!!

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

momoftwins....

I failed already!! Went to Walmart and bought another box last night...170 pieces again. What's wrong with us????? So addicted!!! After this box....

Old 03-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hey Deda,

I thought I'd let you know that I went off the lozenges "cold turkey" yesterday. I finally found some info on nicotine and with my new cholesterol problem, it convinced me to get off of it. Just like smoking, I felt that I had completely run out of time to enjoy these things. I guess it was that additude that made yesterday alot easier than I even imagined. Yes, I still miss the lozenges but it's not bad at all. Hang in there, just like quitting smoking...you have to want it bad enough or be at the point that you realize you just can't do it anymore. Robert is going to make sure I make it for a week and then quit himself. I can't see myself using them anymore....it's just too dangerous for me now. Look up "cholesterol and nicotine" on the web and you'll see what I mean.
Good Luck!
Cindy

Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

HEY cINDY...

OH CONGRATULATIONS GIRL ON YOUR LATEST TRIUMPH. THAT IS SO GOOD TO HEAR. IT LET'S ME KNOW THAT IF CINDY CAN DO THIS, WILL SO CAN I. I WILL DEFINITELY LOOK THAT UP. I HOPE THAT YOU ARE FEELING WELL, AND ARE SOON ON THE ROAD TO OPTIMAL HEALTH, AND GOOD CHOLESTEROL LEVELS TOO. I'M SURE YOU'LL GET THERE...THE LITTLE FIGHTER THAT YOU ARE!!! YOU GO GIRL!

(((((((CINDY)))))))

LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU...
DEDA

Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #12
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Thanks Deda
After reading the info I finally found, it convinced me that it was time. We have to do these things when the time is right for us individually. I just wanted to let you know that it's nothing like I imagined it to be. It's so much easier than it was to quit smoking. The lozenges seemed to be increasing my hotflashes also. That may have been my original motivator. Now that I'm through menopause, I'm hoping the depression won't be the issue that it was before. So far, so good!

Hugs back atcha girl!

Luv,
Cindy

Old 03-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Thanks Cindy....

Just wondering...did you taper off slowly, or just quit/stop one day??

I'm glad you quit...now this gives me the kick I needed,,,just knowing that if you could do it...so can I. I am woman, watch me ROAR....GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! LOL Tell ya the truth, I'm sick of it anyway!!!

Way to go, Cindy-O!!!! You are so strong!!!!! Congratulations to Cindy in Utah!!!! LOL

Love, Deda

Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
(female)

Cin4676 HB User

Hey Deda,

I just decided to quit the night before last.No, I didn't wien myself off slowly. It was just a sudden decision to do it even though I'd been thinking about it for awhile. That's why I'm so surprised it went so well. I was using 12 to 14 mgs a day but yet it's been pretty painless. Honestly, I'm not strong...it's just not that bad once I made my mind up

Hugs,
Cindy (yes, in Utah...not Florida LOL)

Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anyone addicted to nicotine gum? (Worried)!!

You go girl...you got it going. Did I tell you that early last month, (Feb) I did quit the gum, (and all other forms of nicotine) for a whole week??...actually I think it was 8 days. But due to some pain issues, (my stomach,..remember I thought it was my gallbladder?) and we were on a trip to Nev., and I was in SO much pain, and so sick, that I got mad, and we went to Rite-Aid, and bought a small box. Then the other day we ran out, and I said that was it, (again), and then after a day and a half without any gum, I went to Walmart and bought another huge box!!! (17O pieces!!!) The funny thing is, you are right, it's really not that bad!! I felt fine, but I was thinking about it a lot. But it's NOT like the painful, awful cravings you get when you quit smoking cigs....but the thoughts of gum were still playing around in my head. Hmmmmmmm ....could it be SATAN?????!!!!!
(a la' "churchlady", SNL) LOL Okay, now that I know my friend Cindy_in_Utah has QUIT THE NICOTINE, now I know that I can do this too!!!

Cindy, aren't you and your hubby coming up on your 2 year quit anniversary next month?? Today is my 2 and 1/2 year ann. Sweet....

HUGS...
Deda

Closed Thread