It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

futurehope HB User
I am Going to Quit Smoking Soon....but I have Panic Disorder

Hi,

I went out today and bought the gum and read the booklet inside. Tomorrow I will be going out to buy a small calendar to put my stickers in on when to use less gum until you have to use no gum at all.

My hubby suggested the gum because he has used it twice, quitting once for 5 years and the other for 2 years, and his father quit with the gum also.

I actually quit cold turkey for 7 years, was it was not real bad at all, just stayed committed to quitting. After a week or 2, I was absolutely OK.

The problem now is that I have Panic Disorder (Panic Attacks) and anxiety. I knew that I needed more help and could not cold turkey it this time around.

Can anyone tell me what I might be facing with quitting since I have this disorder. I am on medication for the Panic.

A couple of more questions, what is it in a cigarette that causes lung cancer, is it the tar, nicotine, or smoke? Does anyone know?

Will the gum be sufficient enough to help me with the Panic/Anxiety?

Thanks for your help!

Brenda

Old 03-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: I am Going to Quit Smoking Soon....but I have Panic Disorder

i suffer with panic attacks/anxiety...and just recently quit smoking. (feb 16th). i take xanax for my attacks...i personally disagree with the patch and gum...because you are still putting the nicotine in your system, and thats what you are not wanting to do!!! i used the wellbutrin xl...i took it for 2 weeks, then was ready to put the cigarettes down. i did, however, have to quit the wellbutrin after 2 months....as it was causing bad depression...but i am still smoke free!!

as far as the anxiety.....i kept my xanax on hand....and if i felt anxious or panicky, i would give it a few minutes to see if it would pass (trying to focus on something different) and if that didnt work, then i would take the xanax. to me, it was no worse than any other attack. i have lived through not smoking, and having anxiety attacks, the one year mark of my dads death....all within these last 5 weeks....i think i am doing pretty darn good!! i still have my sanity...although some would beg to differ...lol.

i have tried to quit many times in the past...using patches, cold turkey, etc...it was no different those times, than with this time....in times past, i did not have panic attacks....but i did get those anxious feelings when i was about to run out of smokes...but i think thats normal for any smoker that is trying to quit.........those are the same anxious feelings i felt this time around...so to me...it was no better, no worse....but the xanax does help me through. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

kppy2 HB User

Wellbutrin really worked for me. I wish I had tried it years ago.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

futurehope HB User

Hi again,

I cannot take Wellbutrin, I had a very bad reaction with it and don't want to go there again.

I wish I would take it though, it really seems to work from the responses I have gotten!!

Brenda

Old 03-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I have anxiety issues, and have had panic disorder too, and I think my anxiety would've been worse without using nicotine replacement. If you're already on meds for your panic disorder, and then with some NRT, you should be okay. Try a relaxation CD. I just bought a new one the other day, and it is wonderful. I quit 3O months ago, and I actually feel less anxiety now that I don't smoke, than before when I did. The amount of nico you would take in on gum is much less than it would be smoking. I agree with your husband.

Good luck!
Deda

Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
(female)

anxiouslady HB User

Hi Brenda (and everyone)....

I am going to attempt to quit smoking myself and have panic disorder too. My biggest concern is that quitting is going to make my panic worse while I go through withdrawl. I take clonazepam and will definitely be keeping it on hand. Sorry I don't have any good advice to offer but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
Good luck and take care.

anxiouslady

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I quit cold turkey over 2 years ago. I used nothing becuase for me I could not see quitting one thing and then having to quit another thing. That is just my opinion

Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

I have panic disorder to.. I will be a smoker for 8 years soon.. I really want to quit too. I never really tried yet. I though I tried but I really didn't. I just got over an episode that started back in January. And im waiting to get back on my feet again until I really try to quit. Im soo afraid of gaining weight though. Thats my biggest fear as of now. I'll be 26 in oct. And have had panic disorder for 4 years now. How do you go about quitting? I want to mentally prepare myself but im not sure how to.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

Good morning.

I have also had some problems with panic and anxiety disorder the past year. For the anxiety I purchased the program you see on the television infomercials. It was not cheap, but it helped me a gret deal. I used alot of that information when I quit smoking 19 days ago and I think it helped me alot, but my anxiety has been much better anyway. I don't want to violate the rules of this board, ... If this is a violation I'm sorry, just let me know.

As for your quit, everyone is different and experiences are unique to every individual. I went cold turkey with no NRT. At least for me the idea of getting it over all at once was the best way to go. I did have a bit of anxiety, but honestly it was more crabby time and short temperedness that I noticed. My sleep was crazy for the first week or so, but now I am feeling pretty good mentally.

The Lung Association has an excelent online program. It covers everything from making the decision to preperation,medication, NRT, quitting, diet, exercise, rewards... The most important part of the program is a great message board system where many many people gather for support and to ask questions. There are people who have been quit for over a year who still post for support of others because of the good experience they had. That board proved to be a big help to me. There are alot of references to various websites that assist you with the different aspects of quitting as well as smoking, especially the psychological part.

This is just what helped me, so if it helps others that's great!

By the way, I still firmly believe that smoking is what was contributing to my anxiety. Since I quit I feel much better in that area. I'm just suffering with crazy sinuses right now, which may be one of the "benefits" of withdrawl.

Good luck and God bless!

Jack

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 53 minutes and 1 second (19 days). I have saved $76.14 by not smoking 380 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 7 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/23/2006 7:15 AM

Last edited by Yikes777; 04-11-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Congratulations Jack! That's great news. I too think that smoking contributes to anxiety. I had more anxiety back when I was a smoker. Maybe as it stimulates everything,..heartrate, etc.

Keep it up...
Deda

Old 04-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i quit feb 16......i have had more anxiety episodes than i did with smoking...and its NOT due to wanting to smoke. so apparently mine wasnt smoking related.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
(female)

sharon309 HB User

I have panic disorder for 18years.smoked for 40 years Had my last smoke Nov.15,2005 I used the patch and it did great for me I didn't even want a cig,and I smoked 2.5 packs a day.Ony thing now is the weight gain since I have bn off the patches..

Old 05-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Way to go, Sharon....that's awesome!!! Don't worry about the weight...what is worse...1O to 15 extra lbs...or having a killer lung or heart, or other diseases that stupid a$$ smoking can cause. I gained some weight too, and I am now losing it, after quitting 2.8 months ago. Just concentrate on staying quit, for good. You should start walking, dancing... or something, at least 3 days a week to help keep the extra lbs away. Keep your fridge stocked with good stuff....carrots, apples...you know what I'm talking about. I don't buy cookies, chips, ice cream, or any of that junk.....maybe that's why I didn't gain too much. Right now I have only about 7 lbs left to lose. Not too bad, as at one time I was up to 15 lbs over my quitting weight.

Like I said...concentrate on your quit. And congratulations to all of the newer quitters on this board!!
Deda

Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
(female)

alylin HB User

I have been trying to quit as well, and of course I have anxiety and panic attacks (I just woke up with one again this morning). I had less panic attacks when smoking, but I have prepared myself for the panic and have methods to help get me through them. To quit smoking I am on patches and Zyban (side effect of Zyban is also anxiety). I don't agree with the suggestion to not use the patch because it puts nicotine in your system.. it helps to cut your dosage of nicotine with these so you don't withdraw too fast. In addition, the reason that I quit was not necessarily to cut the nicotine out of my system as much as it was to cut out all of the chemicals that are in the cigarettes...
I suggest finding methods to control anxiety while doing this (Yoga maybe), and use whatever methods you need to quit.. you and your doctor could come up with an awesome plan.. good luck to you

Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #15
(male)

Yikes777 HB User

I quit on March 23 and it's the best thing I ever did. I have had an anxiety issue which I had been seeing someone for. Since I quit I have had an increase in the anxiety, but not as bad as I thought. My therapist said that this is a good thing, as smoking is a big time culprit with anxiety and by quitting it cuts nicotine and the other chemicals in cigarettes out of the picture.

She told me that it is normal to feel an increase in some of the anxiety symptoms but after a few months the difference will be unmistakable in that and other areas in your health. I have to say that it was a major concern of mine and since I quit I feel some anxiousness, but it has actually been much easier to control than when I was smoking and battling the nicodemon as well.

Good luck and stay quit!!!!!

I have been quit for 2 Months, 1 Week, 2 hours, 16 minutes and 42 seconds (68 days). I have saved $272.37 by not smoking 1,361 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 17 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/23/2006 7:15 AM

Closed Thread