It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

Grand Rapids HB User
Did anyone else cough up phlegm after quitting

I quit smoking just over 2 weeks ago. About the third day, I started coughing up thick phlegm 8 -10 times a day with brown and tan flecks in in it. The phlegm itself is a milky color. The amount has subsided, but it does still continue, now with mostly tan flecks.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you know what the cause is?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

fluffytoes HB User
Re: Did anyone else cough up phlegm after quitting

I didn't get a cough, I guess we're all different when we quit and I got lucky that way. I think you could put it down to your lungs beginning the job of healing, if you're worried about anything visit your doctor even if just for a chat and he can put your mind at rest or check you out.

Keep up the good work with your quit.

Last edited by fluffytoes; 04-11-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Ive heard about this and its the crap clearing out of your lungs, which I would assume is good. I quit a week one day ago with one 3 cigarette relapse but my bad I didnt put my patch on. Anyways I havent had one for three days now and I have only notice a little phlem that doesnt necesarily come out and I dont cough it up but I just know its there when I swallow.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi...

I too think it's just your lungs clearing out the garbage that was left in there, which would mean it's a good thing, I think. If it doesn't go away, then by all means, see your Dr. I didn't cough up anything, or ever cough AFTER I quit, but, I used to cough up that same brown thick phlegm WHILE I was smoking. I quit 2 and 1/2 years ago, and I wish the very best of luck to all of you new quitters!!! Stick with it...it is SO worth it!!

Love,
Deda

Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
(male)

davidjoshua HB User

I have a friend who smoked cigarettes often, marijuana multiple times a day, and a few other things too for years. This guy still hocks up some awful black/brown phlegmballs and he stopped smoking over half a year ago. He had this issue while he was smoking, too.

Last edited by davidjoshua; 04-13-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Closed Thread