It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Question New to Wellbutrin & I Have Questions

Hi All,
Sorry if these questions are repititious, but am into day 6 of taking wellbutrin sr and have some questions maybe some of you can answer.
First of all, I'm not sure I can tolerate taking it twice a day. Today was the first day of 2 pills a day, and felt off all day. Headache (don't usually get them), and have a kind of lump in the throat feeling, and stomach seems a bit "off" too.
So here's the questions:
1.) Do side effects lessen as time goes on?
2.) How long should I be taking it before I stop smoking altogether?
3.) How long are you supposed to stay on it to quit smoking? (I was a bit
distracted when the doctor gave me the RX as was just told I have a
5 mm nodule in my lung, so didn't think of these questions then.)
4.) Have any of you who used wellbutrin used NRT with it.
5.) Would it be effective if I only took in once a day instead of twice?

Thanks for any help, I really want this time to quit, to be the last time I quit.
Hellas

Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
(female)

PennyLynne HB User
Thumbs up Re: New to Wellbutrin & I Have Questions

Hiya. I went on Wellbutrin YEARS before I finally had the nerve to stop smoking, but I will say this: Yes, first of all, side effects do lessen over time, and secondly, I believe the Wellbutrin worked in a subtle way all that time because I did cut down from two packs to one without really trying very much at all. I always had in my mind that I WOULD quit, but I feared I had no willpower and that life was too stressful, etc. It seems, in retrospect, that I just didn't want so many cigarettes and little by little I smoked less. I think if you take the Wellbutrin SR for smoking cessation only that you're supposed to be on it a few months, but I had depression problems too. It didn't do much for my depression, though, so I was placed on another antidepressant on top of the Wellbutrin SR (150 mg 2X day). I also used the patch when I quit (January 29, 2006), but I didn't feel that I smoked enough to use the 21 mg patches and, therefore, started at the 14mg right away. My biggest "crutch" has been Charms Blow Pops suckers. I have eaten close to 200 of them since the end of January! I'm not heavy - about 125 lbs. - and I didn't really gain weight either. (Of course, I don't eat right, so the sucker diet doesn't count if you don't eat "real" food like you should!! ) If you feel funky on the Wellbutrin, you can ask your doctor if you should stick to one tablet for a little bit longer before you go on two, or you can try to suck it up a little longer to see if it gets better for you. If you didn't hear all of what was told to you, call and get clarification of the information! I'm sure you aren't the first one to not soak it all in after receiving troubling news! Call whoever can give you the information you're looking for - talk to whoEVER! The more you know, the better you'll feel about having control over quitting smoking. You really CAN do it! Have a sucker or 50! Take care - sure hope you feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: New to Wellbutrin & I Have Questions

my experiences with wellbutrin xl 300 mg.........i have tried it 3 times....2 times was for only a month each....i wasnt really serious (as i thought i was) about quitting smoking. the third time i tried it....it did work.....but i was determined!!!!!! before i laid the cigarettes down for good....i had taken the wellbutrin for about 2 weeks...BUT it wasnt as simple as just not wanting to smoke. i was smoking less and less...forgetting to smoke, etc.....HOWEVER....it HAD to make myself not light up ever again, in order for me to actually get started on saying "i quit". i got down to my last smoke at 10 am, and made myself see how long i could go without buying another pack. it lasted til 4 pm.....i went to the store....because of the anxiety feeling that we always feel when we cant smoke!!...and bought me a pack. i got home, got out of the car and was gonna open the pack....and thought to myself "no way....i am NOT doing this!!!"...so i went into the house...threw them in the drawer...and that was it! I officially quit that day! so...what i am saying is....you still have to make yourself put them down...it just should be a heck of a lot easier with the wellbutrin. BUT...you WILL need to find things to keep you occupied...so that you wont get bored and think about smoking. i quit feb 16th.....the first month...it was kinda hard to get out of the habit....i would always smoke while doing certain things....so that became strange to not have one in my hand..and i would always "automatically" get up to get a smoke..just to remember that i dont smoke anymore...LOL.

now....as far as the wellbutrin..........anxiety IS a side effect of it...(i suffer with anxiety anyways)..the lump in your throat is one example of MANY anxiety symptoms...just have your dr prescribe you some xanax.....that will help with that. now........i was NOT able to continue taking the wellbutrin......PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ AND COMPREHEND THIS.........it CAN CAUSE you to go into a depression......even though its an anti--depressant! I became badly depressed after being on it for about 1 1/2 months......and thankfully I recognized what was going on. I started weaning myself off of it (DO NOT stop all at once!!)...I started taking it every other day, i done that for about 1 week. (the wellbutrin xl 300 mg...you just take once a day) So be aware of your actions....and make sure that your spouse/family is aware that this can cause depression...so that if it happens....they will be aware and get you help in case you dont recognize it yourself!!!!!

the side effects may lessen with you as time goes by....no one can answer that question......the only thing i can say, is just pay attention to see if you get better or worse.

i didnt use anything else to help me quit smoking. WANTING to quit and the wellbutrin are the ONLY things you need. The patches, the gum...the inhalers.......ALL they do is keep the nicotine in your system.......the purpose is to get it OUT of your system so that your body will stop craving it!!! I tried the patches MANY times....and decided that it just isnt worth $50 to keep putting nicotine in my body..when i was trying to get it out!!! LOL.

i have no idea if it would be just as effective if you only took it once a day.....my honest opinion.....I think it depends on your determination.

ALSO.....HAVE YOURSELF ANOTHER GOAL PLANNED!!!!!!! my hubby told me that if i remain smoke free through june...that he will take me to disney world!!!!!!!!!!! Lord knows that we cant afford it....BUT..........we will worry about that later!!! if i am able (which i know i am) to remain smoke free.....i will be healthier....and i would rather be broke...and healthy!!!!!!! LOL....anyways........because i WANT to go to disney world.......i have another goal........to lose 20 pounds......so those 2 things combined are keeping me from smoking.......and overeating!!!!!!!!!

i quit smoking because my dad died march 17th, 2005 from emphysema......and my sister (only 45) was diagnosed with colon cancer this past january........major wake up call!!!!!!!!!!! (i am 33)....I always enjoyed smoking......i still enjoyed it the day that i quit........BUT......i decided that i am not going to sit here and "enjoy" something that would torture me eventually...to my death. list all reasons why you should quit smoking....

also.....something that should help.......do not allow yourself to smoke indoors. eventually (within a few weeks IF you are not living with someone that smokes indoors, you WILL be able to smell how horrible cigarettes makes a person/air stink.........REALLY stink!!!!!!!! non smokers arent being judgemental....they really are being truthful).....it really will shock you. i grew up with smokers....so i never knew...until i forbid myself to smoke indoors....and am now embarrassed to know that i smelled so horrible all through school, and when working, etc. good luck!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: New to Wellbutrin & I Have Questions

Thanks PennyLynne & Ladybug,
But the wellbutrin was just not working for me. Made me so anxious and jittery I wanted to smoke more!! Never had much luck with drugs! So I've stopped the wellbutrin after not being able to sleep, ears flushing & HOT & ringing, just couldn't take it!
So I've gotten a "stash" of blow pops, and am gearing up to throw the butts out the window! I've got plenty to keep me busy here at home, but work may be a problem, since it's a slow period for us. Not sure if I'll go cold turnkey or use the NRT in some form or other. Whatever works. Not thrilled about replacing nicotine in butts with nicotine in a patch or gum, but at least with the patch or gum, I won't be inhaling tars and toxic chemicals, which are the most damaging to the body.
Good luck to us all!
Hellas

Closed Thread