It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

jjules HB User
quitting smoking with moon phases

Hello all, A friend of mine who quit smoking thru cessitation told me what really helped her was quitting at certain moon phases. Has anyone ever tried that? I looked up the Old Farmers Almanac and it said the 13th (today) and the 17th of July and the 13th & 22nd of August were the best days for quitting smoking. I'd like to give it a try seems like I've tried everything else. Any imput out there? Thanks! Jules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

shorty03906 HB User
Re: quitting smoking with moon phases

if it works for you please let me know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

frosty87 HB User

In my ever so humble opinion any day is a good day to quit being a slave to nicotine the farmers almanac has been right about stranger things I would give it a try Just put them down and never take another puff the physical addiction is only 72 hrs heck I can sleep that long after that it is all a mind game just don't play along and pretty soon that junkie thinking will go away too.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Go for it, JJules...full moon or cresent moon or 1/2 moon...just do it!!

I know you can do it!

Best of luck to you..
Deda

Old 07-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

jjules HB User

Thanks everyone for you support-I'm going to try it on the 17th and lock myself in my bedroom for awhile! Jules

Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Thumbs up Re: quitting smoking with moon phases

woo-hoo jjules!! Happy to hear that, and we're here for you, girl!

Please come here on the 17th for support. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on that day, and a prayer for you too. Be strong in mind and spirit, for I know that you can definitely do this...anyone one can if I could have...and I never thought I could do it, but i did!!

BEST O' LUCK!!!!!
Deda

Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

jjules HB User

I will definetly visit here tommorrow. I almost want to quit today I have only had one cig so far so I think I will try and do some chores to occupy my time. Thanks for your support. Jules

Old 07-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Way to go, jjules....only one cigarette? That' takes strength...you're proving you do have strength if you could do that. I couldn't really cut down before I quit...it was either, all, or nothing at all.

See around kid...

(tomorrow)

Good luck tomorrow, and remember, you can do this!

Deda

Old 07-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

GOOD LUCK TODAY, JJules!!!

Saw you on the thyroid board...me too. (Hashi's-hypo) .... it's a very good reason to quit smoking.

Hope it's going well.

Deda

Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
(female)

jjules HB User

DEDA DEDA, Hey I was hoping you would look me up today. I am a non smoker today so far I did put a patch on this afternoon just cause I had a slight craving and just now got on the computer. Hey were you reading the stuff on the Thyroid and how quitting smoking can flare up problems? When I read that I thought gee should I quit now but decided I was going to be better off in the long run. Keep in touch I appreciate any support I can get. Jules

Old 07-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey jjules...way to go, girlfriend! So glad you DID IT!!!!!!!!

Okay, first of all...what do ya mean by, "I'm a nonsmoker,..so far??" ...hmmmm?? How about being a little more positive about it and say, "From now on, I'm a non smoker..all the way,..yes I am!"

Think postitive and try to make positive statements too. Whenever you feel like you're going to cave in, just keep thinking of HOW MUCH YOU HATE SMOKING!!! Think about that a lot anyway..all the time. Think of all the negatives that go along with smoking..my gosh... there's just so dang many. Think of how bad you've been wanting to quit for so long...and how much healthier you'll be. Picture yourself sick, or healthy, and then make the choice. Do these things jjules when you feel like you can't live w/o one, and you're about ready to run to the store....heck, think about these things anyway, all the time....it helps, cuz it's mostly all mental anyway.

I took up walking a lot, and that was a big help to me...I also bought a new treadmill.

Yes, I've seen the smoking come up, [numerous times] on this thyroid board, and others too. I don't know why, but seems like most people with thyroid problems seem to get sicker after they quit. I hear it takes a month or so. Are you regulated yet with your meds? If so, I would have your Dr. check your levels....oh, a month to 2 months AFTER quitting...they're likely to go hypo, and you'll likely need an increase in your dosage. Smoking seems to mask symptoms and pain. Some people discover they have a faulty thyroid after they quit smoking.

Me...well.... I quit smoking about 3 months after my hypo diagnoses...but I started feeling really crappy as soon as I started thyroid meds...before I quit. I stayed feeling like heck for a long long time, and about 6 months after my levels looked good, then I started feeling a lot better. Probably the reason I got so sick after starting my meds was that I was so low in thyroid levels for years, that it shocked my body. Four months after I quit smoking, I had a relapse, and believe it or not, I started smoking, and by the next morning I felt great....all my aches and pains were gone! I was stunned!! But I knew it was so bad for me, and I had smoked long enough....like 28 years.... (had quit about 10 x, and 2 of those quits, I actually made it to the one year mark)..so knew it was time to quit....FOR GOOD!

So, I still managed to quit a week or so later...I was too afraid to smoke any more, and embarrassed. (They hate smoking out here, and you don't see too many smokers in this state) Another thing I read, jjules, was that smoking can raise your antibodies, (thyroid), and when I read that,...I said, forget it! I NEED TO QUIT!!! (My antibodies were high [and still are], and I thought...who would be foolish enough enough to keep smoking after learning that?? You'd have to be nuts!

Well jj...have to go, hubby and I are going to go out and wash our cars. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it's because we might take a little trip..since he's on vacation. But I'll be back here to see how your doing. If we don't leave tomorrow, I'll be back!!

Keep it going girl...
Deda

Old 07-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey jjules...way to go, girlfriend! So glad you DID IT!!!!!!!!

Okay, first of all...what do ya mean by, "I'm a nonsmoker,..so far??" ...hmmmm?? How about being a little more positive about it and say, "From now on, I'm a non smoker..all the way,..yes I am!"

Think postitive and try to make positive statements too. Whenever you feel like you're going to cave in, just keep thinking of HOW MUCH YOU HATE SMOKING!!! Think about that a lot anyway..all the time. Think of all the negatives that go along with smoking..my gosh... there's just so dang many. Think of how bad you've been wanting to quit for so long...and how much healthier you'll be. Picture yourself sick, or healthy, and then make the choice. Do these things jjules when you feel like you can't live w/o one, and you're about ready to run to the store....heck, think about these things anyway, all the time....it helps, cuz it's mostly all mental anyway.

I took up walking a lot, and that was a big help to me...I also bought a new treadmill.

Yes, I've seen the smoking come up, [numerous times] on this thyroid board, and others too. I don't know why, but seems like most people with thyroid problems seem to get sicker after they quit. I hear it takes a month or so. Are you regulated yet with your meds? If so, I would have your Dr. check your levels....oh, a month to 2 months AFTER quitting...they're likely to go hypo, and you'll likely need an increase in your dosage. Smoking seems to mask symptoms and pain. Some people discover they have a faulty thyroid after they quit smoking.

Me...well.... I quit smoking about 3 months after my hypo diagnoses...but I started feeling really crappy as soon as I started thyroid meds...before I quit. I stayed feeling like heck for a long long time, and about 6 months after my levels looked good, then I started feeling a lot better. Probably the reason I got so sick after starting my meds was that I was so low in thyroid levels for years, that it shocked my body. Four months after I quit smoking, I had a relapse, and believe it or not, I started smoking, and by the next morning I felt great....all my aches and pains were gone! I was stunned!! But I knew it was so bad for me, and I had smoked long enough....like 28 years.... (had quit about 10 x, and 2 of those quits, I actually made it to the one year mark)..so knew it was time to quit....FOR GOOD!

So, I still managed to quit a week or so later...I was too afraid to smoke any more, and embarrassed. (They hate smoking out here, and you don't see too many smokers in this state) Another thing I read, jjules, was that smoking can raise your antibodies, (thyroid), and when I read that,...I said, forget it! I NEED TO QUIT!!! (My antibodies were high [and still are], and I thought...who would be foolish enough enough to keep smoking after learning that?? You'd have to be nuts!

Well jj...have to go, hubby and I are going to go out and wash our cars. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it's because we might take a little trip..since he's on vacation. But I'll be back here to see how your doing. If we don't leave tomorrow, I'll be back!!

Keep it going girl...
Deda

Old 07-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
(female)

jjules HB User

Deda, Since I am an honest person I have to tell you I lit a cig I found in the drawer this am and took a couple of puffs and thought wow this taste like s*** and put it out I have no idea what possessed me to do that but I did and now I feel awful but I'm not giving up I going to keep trying to quit for good. Hope if ya left you had a nice trip. I will try to think more positive-low self esteem does that to me....sorry. How long have you been smoke free by the way? Take care Jules

Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

jjules....

Still here....not leaving until later now...

That's okay..at least it tasted like $h--...lol...only need to worry if ya think they still taste good. Blehhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Just make sure you throw all of those old packs of cigs away....each and every one of em. Don't need that temptation around the house.....it will always play in your mind that they're in there.

I quit smoking on Sept. 24, '03...so almost 3 years now. I never thought I could do it, either...but here I sit,..a non smoker, and I absolutely hate smoking now... hate to even walk past people that are smoking. It's like...."I don't want that crap in MY lungs!" ....how dare they!!!! What a change of attitude....I used to be annoyed by people that expected us to put them out!

Well, I'm glad you didn't go any further. Do yourself a favor, and throw em ALL out...and the ash trays, matches, lighters....every stinking little piece of smoking memoribilia left lying around. You don't need any reminders right now.

Glad to hear you're not giving up...you go girl.

Cheers...
Deda

Closed Thread