It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

sixx788 HB User
A year already?

I have been quit for a year come August 1st! I have quit 4 or 5 times in the past. Trust me, if I can do it....anyone can. I have no will power when it comes to anything! I wonder myself how I have stayed quit for this long. But, I will tell you this. It took me about 3 months to feel somewhat normal and quit thinking about smoking every second of the day. I still get cravings even now, but usually in a stressed situation. It's a craving that is easily dismissed though. It's not torture like it once felt like. Here are the things that helped me, so maybe it may help you:

Someone told me to do WHATEVER it takes to not smoke. If it meant screaming, crying or kicking something....I did that. If I ate everything in the fridge, oh well. I did whatever it took to not smoke. Call somebody, read a magazine, do a crossword. Anything to keep your mind busy helped me the most. I also would get online and find articles where people had lost their legs due to Buergers Disease. Lost their life and left their kids without a parent....touched me. I would print things up like that and literally carried them in my car when I went to work. I would pull them out and read them when I had a craving.....It would put me back in check. I got mad.....at the tobacco companies. How dare they put all these things in cigarettes that got me so addicted!!! Oh, and wait until I get addicted and raise the price! PLUS, take away all the places that I once smoked in. What an idiot I was to pay $5.00 a pack to slowly kill myself, stink, ruin the inside of my house, have shortness of breath (God forbid if I ever needed to run from an attacker or somthing...I would be had) yellow my teeth, burn holes in things (cars, furniture and even my own skin) and I was a rotten role model for my son! Ask a 10 year old child if they would pay $5.00 a day to have all that happen.....they would look at you like you were nuts. I guess in this case, you are not wiser with age! LOL! I feel like a fool!

I hear many people complain that quitting smoking is hard. Now think about this.....Which is harder.....Quitting smoking or Lung cancer, Emphesema (sp?) or COPD?

I hope this helps someone, because I would love to see the tobacco companies go under.....I HATE THEM JERKS! Keep up the good work, you can do it. Also, remember, there is never the perfect day to quit. You will always have stress, something will always go wrong and someone will always tick you off. If your looking for the perfect 3 months to quit, forget it. It simply won't happen....unless your a hermit or something. I have told myself that before.....It's just not my time or it's not the right time. YES IT IS!!! Life is never perfect...unfortunately. That thought it purely the devil speaking to you wanting you to stay hooked......DON'T LET HIM WIN......FIGHT! ITS YOUR LIFE YOUR SAVING. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: A year already?

sixx788...

Awesome.....and congratulations to you. Such sound advice, and perfectly common sense. Why couldn't we be so smart when we were young? But... oh well, we did finally lick this problem...sickening addiction, dirtiest of habits, ever. You're right about the devil too girl ...right on.

Hope everyone reads your message...it's perfect.

Thanks, and best of luck, always...
Deda

Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

jjules HB User

Congratulations you deserve something special for 1yr! I really liked what you had to say! It makes me think.....hummmm why can't I quit? I know I can-what the blank am I waiting for a perfect day? Thanks for your story. Jules

Last edited by jjules; 07-25-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

patcher HB User

Congrats!!!

One year!! That is a GREAT accomplishment. I can't wait to be where you are.
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, and I still crave the smokes but I continue to fight it because I want to quit. I was also glad to see that you said it took 3 months before you felt better. I feel like crap, but it's getting a little better each day. Keep up the good worK!!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

sixx788 HB User

Just an addict helping other addicts! I smoked for 18 years. I forgot to tell you all that in my other post. The perfect day.....yes, that was a good one for me to start smoking or not attempt to stop. That's why I made sure to throw that one in there. Trust me, I know all your excuses and lies that you tell yourself. I have used them all!!! The time that I quit, my son had been having problems with his stomach (still is), my mother in law had been rushed to the hospital twice for having a reaction to her medication. I literally drove my husband crazy because I was so miserable to live with, that he ended up having anxiety. I ended up having panic attacks. Plus, dealing with my husbands nutty ex wife......that is always a joy! IT WAS A MESS!!! But I pulled through. OH, and I made a $500 bet with a co-worker that I wouldn't start smoking for a year (Halloween of last year, the bet was made) He wanted to quit too, so this was a big incentive! Honestly, this bet has kept me from smoking more than any other reason. You would think my health would out way money....but no, not in my case. I simply didn't have the money to fork over! If I picked one up....I knew it would lead to a pack. So I never touched it.

Patcher....hang in there! Make yourself hang in there at least until the 3 month mark. After that, you won't think about it much. My husband, a non smoker, had to listen to me talk about cigarettes and smoking 24/7 until around that time. I would stay on message boards and chat rooms with others who were trying to quit..... like here until I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer. Then I realized there is life without smoking. Trust me, you will get there.

My other little trick that helped me alot was that I got acrylic nails. I tapped them. flicked them, bit them and just played around with them to take care of the "something in my hand" habit. My other thing I do is when I go out to eat as soon as I am done, I can't get the bill quick enough and get out of there. Don't sit there. It's torture! That after dinner cigarette is the worst. Grab a piece of gum or a mint and go! I still do this, even though I rarely think about cigarettes after dinner.....I think it just became a habit.

My best advice to read as much as you can about not smoking, get support and find what works best for you. Remember......Do WHATEVER it takes to not smoke!!

Last edited by sixx788; 07-25-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

thanks for the great ideas. i am almost there. not looking for the right time because I have learned from past quits you are right. there is always stress. i live and work with all smokers. that is part of my fear i am around it all the time. i'll get there. going to start a book of every idea i can come up with to keep me smoke free. i've already told my husband and daughter they will have to smoke outside because it's just not fair to me. going to look for some relaxation tapes and one smoke enders tape that's been recommended to me. i'll be back. congratulations on your first year of many. i hope i can say that one day.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
(female)

sixx788 HB User

ICC,
I don't live with smokers, but I do work with them. Smoking is still allowed in my job. Yep, inside the building where ever they want too! So, that does suck. Now, I hardly notice it unless I have 3 smokers at a picnic table the same time as me. The husband daughter thing.....UGH! That would be hard to live with smokers, I haven't had to face that one. But I agree, make them go outside. Wipe your walls down, have your furniture and carpets cleaned and open the windows as much as possible. Keep it fresh in there. Maybe there will be something you can do to get them on the bandwagon. Hang in there girl, you can do it!

Kelly

Closed Thread