It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

sweptaway76 HB User
severe neck and shoulder pain

Hi everyone. I have been experiencing tons of pain in my shoulder and neck area. I am a somewhat tense person and do suffer from anxiety problems as well. (bad panic attacks) My shoulders hurt so bad right now that it hurts to just rub the muscles. I have really bad pain on the sides of my upper neck area that feel like somebody is holding a clamp down on a bunch of nerves or something when I try to rub that out and then get a pain all the way up my head. Now I have a headache. Does anybody else experience this? If so, do you do something specific for it? I feel that if I went to a massage therepist and sat there for 6 hours, i would still be all tensed up. Is it even tension? I feel really tight and am trying everything to try and loosen stuff up, but it just hurts to bad. I also have, i was told, a really big trigger point right by my inner shoulder blade and another one on the opposite side that is not as big. Can these be causing this pain? Thanks for any replys.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: severe neck and shoulder pain

A Few years ago I was rear ended at about 50MPH and I had whip lash so bad that I couldn't turn my neck properly for 2 years the pain went into my neck and shoulders and into my arms it was HIDEOUS. I was in so much pain so I CAN really symptathizw with you. I did Physcial therapy which did help. they use a lot of methods to release tension and to loosen those muscles Ice for one helped me and they put me in traction to stretch the neck out I loved that. I went 3 times a week for a year and it did help me. they did a lot of massage work and used different things on me to lesson my pain it was such a treat going.

There are lots of things they can offer you , One is a Tens unit, and they will show you how to do stretches. they help a lot. You will need to go to your MD and get a prescription for a therapist.

Another thing that would help you is to take a muscle relaxer. they really do work to relax your muslces especially if your muscles are that tight is this chronic or is it on and off ? they tend to make you pretty sleepy so you have to take them at night, but they help a lot with the spasms.

Have you had an MRI of your neck? You could have some disc issue's as that can cause a lot of pain do some research on the net on hernaited cervical disk see if you have the symptoms.
I had 2 herniated disc's from the wreck and that was the cause of my pain.. it happened 8 months after Ihad a major back operation..... UGH!

My neck still flares every once in awhile and when it does I want to die BUT IT LAST ONLY A WEEK OR SO. the pain is so bad. I have a hot tub and this also really helps me to relax those muscles but I am not able to put the jets on my neck as I get much stiffer the next day Do you have access to a hot tub boy does it help. I would start with a DR and see if they can offer some suggestions for you. and you should be checked out.

Good luck, neck pain is so no fun! you can try and do the alphabet with your head ( you move your head as if you were writting each letter, this will loosen things up to and it might help a little)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

sweptaway76 HB User

thanks for your reply. I have complained before to my doctor about my neck and shoulder pain. It was over a year ago. He did an x-ray which was normal but never an MRI. You mentioned muscle spasms. I get tons of spasms/twitches. Are they the same? They arent painful, but quite annoying and occur all over my body. I unfortunately do not have a hot tub. I was just telling somebody at work that i needed access to one. I was going to a chiropracter and he actually used a tens unit for part of my treatment on my trigger point. That hurt like heck but it felt so good. It was that really bad but good pain. I know that area felt really great after that. I actually feel like my chiropracter messed me up more. Ever since I stopped going, the pain has seemed to have gotten worse. (unless that is just in my head) Maybe I can get a tens unit from my doctor. I have also never tried a muscle relaxer. Maybe I can talk my doctor into giving me a RX for one. I swear my doctor is anti drug. (Wouldnt even give me an antibiotic when I had brochitis) So anyway, thanks for your advice. I am going to try the alphabet thing right now.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hi Sweptaway, I am not sure what muscle twitches are, I know muscle spasms are tightness in the musle and they are like knots and you can see them moving sometimes it sort of sounds like what your having all over your body... I would find a new Dr if your not comfortable with your current Dr becasue you will need someone to prescribe the medication you need amd Docs that don't like to prescribe medications are not always the best Dr's to have.

I also saw a chiro and he made me so much worse. that neck cracking and popping was just way to painful for me so I would never go back.

I think a physcial therapist would be a much better option for you if you have chronic neck problems and it sounds like you might need an MRI to find out if you have Disc problems or if its truly muscular.

An X-RAY doesn't show what an MRI will show, its much more detailed and not even comparible.

so I would start with going to your Dr and asking for an MRI and than see if he can refer to a therapist or an orthopedic Dr to figure out whats going on with your neck.

Muscle relaxers really do help and I think you would be a good canidate for those as well as working with a physical therapist to loosen those muscles.

Take care, I went a few times and got a massage it was wonderful but I hurt 10 times worse the next day. I think I am sensitive to jets and massage.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Have you tried valarian root as a muscle relaxant. It's a natural remedy however if you're on any kinds of medications I don't know if it'll react with them. Valarian root is what they use to make valium if memory serves correctly I use to take it when I had trouble sleeping but only half a pill because I am super sensitive to narcotic like substances but it worked like a charm.You can get it at a health food store but check with pharmacist about mixing it with anything else.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
(female)

Cilla007 HB User

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I have had 2 spinal fusions Lumber/Sacrum and am 36 yrs old female. I have hypersensitive joints and have played lots of sports from when I could run up until I tore both my knee ligaments. I had old shoulder injuries from rugby and volleyball and since injuring my shoulder over a year ago I have suffered on and off with chronic neck and shoulder pain. I have my back put in all the time and have tonnes of massage and nothing seems to relieve the pain. I'm not one to take narcotics and believe in fixing the problem and not a band aid solution. I get burning pain in between my shoulder blade and deep tissue massage feels awesome but in a matter of hours is back to pain again. I have googled chiro vrs osteopath and am still confused. I don't like the sound of cracking in stuff cause it keeps on going out anyway and continuous overuse must be bad for the body. At the moment the only thing that keeps me sane is my wheat bag that I heat up constantly in my microwave. Every now and then I get twitches or a tic like explosion that takes over my body and causes a whip lash action in my neck. I also get a prolonged action that looks like a fit ub my head/neck and is embarrassing and can be very draining. My arm shortens at the shoulder and spasms also but is not painful. I feel like a freak sometimes. I have had x-rays that showed up nothing and a MRI on my neck that showed nothing. It costs me an arm and a leg to get regular massage. I have been to the Doctor who sent me on to a massage therapist but am now like you looking for answers. It affects my moods and my energy levels and am fed up........ HELP!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Okay new plan that worked like a charm for me just the other day. I strained a ton of muscles in my lower back shoveling and being the target of many snowballs from my son and was telling a friend about it who suggested that I wet a small towel throw it in the micro wave and heat for 30 sec and apply. I did this several times and like a miracle my back was at least 75% better the nest day. Moist heat it's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say. give it try and I hope it helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
(female)

twolitlboyz HB User

okay i read thru the posts on here and i have a question is pain just in shoulders and neck? because if you have it elseware say lower back like pelvic girdle area and inside arms, it could be fibromyalgia. I get pains in my shoulders that i swear feel like someone is stabbing a knife in my shoulders and hips. but i get spasms all the time like on person described, that you can watch them but they dont hurt all the time just twitchy things. you guys may want to look into this or ask your drs about it.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

nan1978 HB User

Not sure if this helps, but I was experiencing neck, shoulder, and head pain
and finally figured out that I was clenching my jaw, probably due to stress, while I slept. I got a mouthpiece from the dentist that I wear when I sleep and my pain is gone!

Closed Thread