It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

zashel HB User
Question how does wellbutrin/zyban work

I have been smoking since I was 20 yrs old and my mother use to say out her 5 kids she thougth I was the one less likely to smoke. And now 20 years later I'm still doing it. But 2 weeks ago at my doctors appointment for yet another sinus infection (my 3rd this year) she suggest that I quit and actually she asked me if I have ever considered quiting cause she would write me a rx for wellbutrin to help with quitting but only if I was ready. Now I have went to other doctors and I always feel like I'm in the principles office and I;m a small child. I think she did the right approch with me cause I'm trying cause I have always had the thought in the back of my head that this is too hard why try. The last time I tried to quit my mother was in the hospital in the end stages of Copd. I watched her die on a ventalater at the age of 65. You would think that it would of made it easier to quit, but it was the wrong time. So I let myself heal and now i feel ready to give this a real try this time and I have to say that I feel the wellbutrin helps but I'm not sure why and what it suppose to do and help with. I tried zyban about 2 1/2 years ago but could not take it cause it made me very distant feeling like people would talk to me and I had a delay in answering them so since I worked in a call center for a insurance company I had to stop taking them. This time I don't feel the same still spacey but my abilty to speak is fine. But this time around I'm also on lexapro and I don't know if that is why it really has not bothered me too much and I'm only on day two but this day was always my give up day. I'm also using inhalers which I much prefer to the patches cause I feel I have more control over it and I find it easier to cut back a little at a time and really you do it on you own with out noticing. But the main thing is I keep telling myself that I don't want to be my mother in 25 years and have my kids watch me die. Plus me and my husband figured out the other day that in 18 year of marriage that we have spent 78,624.00 dollars on this nasty habit...........

Last edited by zashel; 08-04-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #2

Zeethan HB User
Re: how does wellbutrin/zyban work

Wow, $78K That is outrageous! Just think if you'd put that money away in a retirement acct. Just think if I'd have put my rough figure of $35K in the bank, now I'm sad! I could have had a Beemer. You have so many reasons to quit, what reasons do you have to keep smoking? I would take all the help I could get--if you don't like it, stop taking them. I hope you come back and report something great.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

zashel HB User
Smile Re: how does wellbutrin/zyban work

well it will be 3 weeks tomarrow since I quit. Which is great and now when I'm at work I don't think about it and really don't miss everyone from the smoking area. I went to the doc and she told me to try carrots and celery in place of lifesavers (which I have always liked but not as much as now) which really does help. Since I have gain 2 pounds in 2 weeks. My husband is still smoking though. I haven't said anything to him cause I always hated when he quit and I couldn't him nagging on me. But he's good about smoking outside and usually not near me. The wellbutrin has worked out good and I think the lexapro helps too. Now if I could do the same with the extra weight, this is my year to fix myself at least that is what I've been trying to tell myself and that I can only do one at a time and since smoking is doing the worse damage thats the one I need to fix now.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #4

Zeethan HB User

I'm so glad to hear it! I'm on my 17th day of quitting right now. I have to tell you, I've gained 18lbs in the last year, this is my 3rd attempt to quit, have gained weight each time, so I have to work on that too. I was doing Jolly Ranchers, but wow, my teeth hurt I should probably get some cinnamon toothpicks. Do you feel any better?

Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

zashel HB User

thats great. My teeth hurt too but that because I bite on the lifesavers its probley why I smoked I have an oral fixation. Its not so much feeling better. I notice now how deep of a breath I can take and singing in the car I can hold a note longer. But I smell everything now. Things I never had noticed like that Mcd fry smell like oil and that my closet had smelled like smoke due to I always smoked in my bedroom due to having had a habit of waking up several times a night and smoking one. My only big thing is I'm still getting up several times a night and roll over and back out once I realize there are no smoke breaks anymore. But I'm still having days at home when all I want is one. I'v had to get up an leave and go some place to stop thinking about it. But I guess I'm feeling better if I can wrap my mind around this as a forever thing. this is what I have to keep telling myself

Last edited by zashel; 08-23-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Closed Thread