It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #1

Zeethan HB User
Question I've heard it takes a year

To start feeling better after quitting smoking. This is my 3rd attempt since last July (I'm facing my 40th b-day in less than a month and planned on quitting before turning 40). I have allergies and what seems like chronic sinusitis and this problem where at times I need to take a deep breath, even though I am breathing fine. That has finally scared me to death. I'm wondering when things inside will improve...I haven't coughed at all. Have I damaged my lungs so badly I can't cough any crud up? I have no wheezing or crackles. I am on the 10th day, or 11th Wed. a.m., smoked up to 2 packs of 120's a day.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Re: I've heard it takes a year

I quit smoking a year and a month ago (WOO HOO for me! LOL) and no, it doesn't take anywhere near a year to feel better! I have felt the same ever since about 2-3 months after quitting...

At first I didn't really notice much of a difference except I annoyingly got a half sort of mini cold about 2 weeks after quitting. I didn't really have a cough or anything like that. I also didn't notice I could taste things any better, but I DID notice that I was always STARVING and I could definitely smell things better.

I think it'll take about a month for you to feel quite a bit fresher and more clean. Then you'll feel less out of breath, "lighter" and stuff after that which will last forever!

GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Congrats Steve I can't wait for a year for me I'm almost 9 weeks and I haven't coughed once or any discomfort in anyway either now except I do hoover in the treats but I figure better chubby with pink lungs than skinny with black ones.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

I quit a little over 3 months ago and smoked for about 3 years, only like 1/2 pack a day but not everyone will cough up the icky stuff. I actually just noticed that Im not coughing up these hard phlem balls anymore that happened when I did smoke. Ive felt the same since the 1st month after quitting, I love food more, not necessarily tastes different but a better appetite and I did put on a few pounds which was actually a bonus for me. I definately smell better too and are not out of breath easily anymore. Its great! Just give it some more time.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

Saraw08 HB User

It doesn't take a year to feel better, no. But it took me a year to feel "normal" again. And I'm only 20 years old!

Closed Thread