It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

Maya49 HB User
WHICH DAY is the HARDEST???

is it the 1st day?.....
do you feel like a huge accomplishment has taken place after DAY ONE?...

I think for ME?
It is more emotional/mental than physical....

Anyone?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User
Re: WHICH DAY is the HARDEST???

For me it was also the mental thing more than physical. To be quite honest - the first day is hell because you either smoke or you don't. If you don't then you become and ex-smoker... For me it took a week to finally make it through one day smoke free. But the bad news is that for me it got worse. The first two or three days I was really motivated and everyone was really encouraging me - then about day 4 and 5 I really wanted to cave in. It's pretty much up and down. The biggest thing is you need some support. Thru this board, family, friends, whatever to pull you thru the hard times. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

Maya49 HB User

hi susan,

so...
you have NOT smoked for how many days now?

I understand about the first week.....
I really do!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

Maya - It's day 12 for me - so still very new. I definitely DON"T have it all figured out yet. I'm just shooting for one day at a time.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Maya,

For me the whole first week was rough...the 2nd week I was a little less crazy, and from that point it started easing up. Hang in there....one day you'll get to the point you hardly think of em. That's where I'm at today,...don't miss em, think about them, and I absolutely hate to even be around it. Never thought I'd see the day! Keep in up...you'll feel free from it some day too.

Best of luck to you....
Deda

Old 09-02-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
(female)

Maya49 HB User

hi deda,

how many days has it been that you have escaped smoking?

thanks.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Maya....

By the grace of God..... 3 years this month...on the 24th.

Deda

Old 09-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
(female)

Maya49 HB User

A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!!

ok...as a seasones non-smoker......who has escaped from smoking....

what can you share with me?.....
especially in those first few days (like the first day... as a non-smoker....

what was the No#1 thing that you did?...to get your self thru it?
I am soooo serious about escaping smoking....but, for the life of me...
getting past 24 hrs....I have NOT been able to do....

any and all suggestions/ideas....inspiration would be MOSt appreciated.

thanks so much....

Old 09-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Smile Re: WHICH DAY is the HARDEST???

Thank you, Maya....You know, I remember that 1st day really well. I had intended to QUIT as soon as I woke up in the morning, that was supposed to be it..start the day with ZERO cigarettes. That's the way I had always, ALWAYS quit in the past. (at least 1O times) I would go to bed, and finish up every last cig before I went to bed....even if I had to smoke 2 packs in a row. (cough-cough )

Well, I didn't finish them the night before...and I got up and went outside to smoke anyway...with my coffee...like always. Then I came in my office here and got on my computer, and came to this board....and just as I had been doing for over a month...I kept reading posts....trying so hard to get enough inspiration to just do it. I was scared....really afraid...thought I was too weak...thought I'd lose my mind..thought I'd fail...thought I was just TOO ADDICTED!

And then...like all of a sudden, I decided, "THIS IS IT, I'VE HAD IT!!!!" So I went back outside, and got my cigs, and my matches, and went into my backyard and turned on the hose and doused them all, wet all the matches, and threw them all out!!! I was so serious! Then I went around my backyard picking up all the butts that were laying around,...cuz I knew if I didn't, Maya, I'd end up smoking them....yes I know would!! I had a 3 lb coffee can in the garage where I kept all of my butts, and one small ashtray that I emptied all day....and I put those in a plastic trash bag and threw it all out. Then I came back inside, put on a 21 mg. nicotine patch, (I had purchased them long before), said a prayer, asking for the strength to do it, and went from there.

You know Maya, I really didn't have any fierce physical craving, (because I had the patch on)...so it was really just working on the mental aspect of it the most. I tried to divert myself on the computer...and I was corressponding with another gal on this board, Lauri (who happened to quit 2 months after me...the day before the Great American Smoke-Out...she wrote me every day on here, and I encouraged her daily... and she did great! She stuck around for about 8 months, and came back on her 1st anniversary to say hello...and then again later)

What I think I kept doing was just talking myself into not smoking, telling myself the TRUTH...that if I didn't quit now, I probably would get a lung disease soon, or something else horrible...like a gal I knew from school who was a heavy smoker (like me) who got pancreatic cancer and died within 3 months. (smokers get that more than other people). So that's the basic part of what I did to help me through that 1st 24 hours....just talk yourself into it....you can do that only IF you first convince yourself that you are 1OO% ready to commit to quitting. You know Maya,...I don't even think I really felt
1OO% ready on that 1st day....but I think as the days rolled by, I was becoming more and more committed. At the end of my 1st 24 hours without a cig, I thought...'geez, that really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be'.

I prayed every day, and I kept busy. I also started walking--A LOT! I would just take off to the park, and walk on the trails out there, every single day, and sometimes at night, I'd take off again and walk. (Later my hubby bought me a new treadmill) I still walk a lot, and I'm about to join a new gym, that just opened here in town yesterday. I was a couch potato and chronic telephone talker...and I became more physical...and it really felt very good. I started going to bed earlier, cuz I no longer felt motivated to stay up late, just to smoke some more. Ugh! And then I started eating right, eating fruit for the 1st time in years, and started eating breakfast...a new one for me!

I was 48 when I quit....grateful I did it, but sure wish I had quit when I was younger....actually I did...but my hubby didn't want to...so I'd always go back to it. He finally quit 6 months before I did....the 1st time he ever really quit, after about 38 years of smoking...and he says the same thing as me...that he just had to "mentally convince myself"...."change my mindset about smoking". I too constantly told myself how much I hated it, and constantly thought of all of the rewards and benefits...for which there are SO MANY!!!! So I do think for most of us, that it is mostly more of a mental job to quit...especially when we use patches, gum, or another NRT.

I kept telling myself, "come on, Cherelle, be of strong mind and spirit"...and "you lived the 1st 18 years of your life just fine without those darn cigarettes, and you got by just fine,...so you can live fine without them again" I was continually running those kind of thoughts through my mind the
1st few weeks. I made sure to put on my new patch every morning as soon as I woke up, said a prayer....and still had my wonderful cup of coffee to look forward to. (I have since given that up too, due to acid reflux)

That's pretty much how I got by at first, Maya. You just have to really mentally convince yourself. And keep on reminding yourself, if you have to
1OO times a day...'I am strong enough to do this,,,and I'm not going to let those little rolled up pieces of crap beat me at this. I'm going to have the victory over this...not them over me!!!!!' **** on those tobacco companies that want to keep us hooked!! I've given them enough of my life and my money already!!!! I was so sick of it!! (even though I did enjoy smoking, but I knew I could find plenty of other, [healthy] things to enjoy!!!)

Hope you find your way too, Maya!
God bless you and good luck,...and I'll do all I can to help you...if you need or want any.

HUGS,
Deda

Old 09-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

Deda - that was an inspiring story for me. Any man - all these stories remind me that this is such an addicting drug and it just about gets everybody in the SAME exact way. I always bought into the fact that it was physcially addicting - well POOH!! anyone can get beyond that - it was nothing. The power of the MIND however is far more relevant than I ever gave it credit for. Keep up the good work and I'll try very hard to follow in your path of strength and resolve.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #11
(female)

Maya49 HB User

Hi Deda and Susan,
I agree with Susan....your story is indeed inspiring.

and the phsyical addiction?..I so agree....pales in comparison to the MENTAL adddiction....so, I was so relieved to read that and that you both shared it.

I came to the same conclusion.....MIND or MATTER....
It really is MENTAL.....I have those stupid nicrotol inhalers....

don't do a thing...as far as I am concerned.....
I think it is such a mental resolve....
I like what Susan says....just giving yourself a talking to....and the will to have the power over those "stupid cigs".....
I am going to refer to it...
as "ESCAPING"...instead of "QUITTING"

Thanks...Susan...
and DEDA.....

hugs.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancompton
Deda - that was an inspiring story for me. Any man - all these stories remind me that this is such an addicting drug and it just about gets everybody in the SAME exact way. I always bought into the fact that it was physcially addicting - well POOH!! anyone can get beyond that - it was nothing. The power of the MIND however is far more relevant than I ever gave it credit for. Keep up the good work and I'll try very hard to follow in your path of strength and resolve.

Thank you, Susan. Yes,..I really do think quitting smoking [successfully] is all because of what's going on in our heads. It's truly our thinking that's keeps us addicted, and gets us out of it too. If we think all the right thoughts...any of us can beat this horrible habit! I would bet it's 80% mental and only about 20% physical.

Keep up the good work, and keep thinking those positive thoughts and I'm sure you'll make it....you sound so very committed too, so I think you're sure to get through this..for good too. God bless....

Deda

Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hugs back to you too, Maya...

Best of luck, Maya. I know you can really do this.. if you truly want to....be strong in mind, get tough...start hating it ... enough to not want it. Talk yourself into 'escaping it'. You'll do it...I know you will! And we're here if you need us...always..okay?

Deda

Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
(male)

superchef HB User

Gee! Ive quit 3 times, but always find it hard after 8 weeks.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User

8 weeks!????? No - I'll be at 4 weeks on Monday - It's supposed to get easier....right???? Oh well - thanks for the input - I was beginning to get really comfortable - now I'll stay on my toes for a while longer....thanks!

Closed Thread