It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

LilBlondieGrl HB User
Im worried about my dad..

Im sorry.. im not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not but its the only one that i could find about smoking.

Im really worried about my dad. Heres the story...

My dad has been smoking for a long time. From what hes told me he smoked a couple years before he married my mom and then quit because my mom didnt tollarate it. Then when they devorsed he started smoking for about 5 years and then he quit again when he met my step-mom. They were married for about 2 years i think and then when they devorsed he started again and hes smoked ever sence. Hes stoped a couple of times i think the longest being 2 months.. but he keeps starting again. He smokes so much.. like not one or too a day.. i mean like 1 or 2 packages! My dad lives in colorado now so i dont have to deal with the second hand smoke.

He has no health insurance (lack of money which is why he moved there in the first place) and when hes sick i try to get him to go to a free clinic or something but he refuses to even when hes really sick! Im so worried that he could possibly get cancer or something else. My dad means the world to me and if something happened to him i would be crushed. Ive told him my concerns but it doesnt seem to change anything. What do you think the chances of him getting really sick are? (being he smoked so long)

Old 09-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
(female)

mommieoftwo HB User
Re: Im worried about my dad..

The risks are plastered all over the place - on websites / cig packages, news stores, etc... The thing is that your dad seems to have tried many times to quit for other people and has never succeeded. This never works because a smoker has to want to quit for him/herself. This includes you - no matter how much you want him to quit and how much he loves you - it just doesn't work that way. The best thing you can do is be an emtional support system for your dad and try to encourage him the best way you know how. I know you probably wanted a better answer than this - but it's all i got...sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Im worried about my dad..

SUSAN'S RIGHT....WE NEVER SUCCEED WHEN QUITTING IF WE'RE DOING IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE...BELIEVE ME, I QUIT "FOR MY KIDS" PLENTY OF TIMES.

ONE THING YOU COULD DO THOUGH...AT CHRISTMAS, OR ON HIS BIRTHDAY, OR FATHER'S DAY....BUY HIM A BOX OF PATCHES, AND ALSO A QUIT SMOKING [SELF HELP TYPE] BOOK. I THINK THAT WOULD BE A VERY LOVING GESTURE, AND WHO KNOWS....HE MAY DECIDE TO QUIT (FOR HIMSELF), BUT YOU COULD HELP PLANT THE SEED FIRST. I KNOW HOW SPECIAL DAD'S ARE...MY DAD WAS EVERYTHING TO ME TOO...AND I ALSO KNOW THAT MY OWN 2 KIDS WORRIED ABOUT ME A LOT BEFORE I FINALLY QUIT.

GOOD LUCK!
DEDA

Closed Thread