It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

ash0479 HB User
thyroid issues after quitting...

Has anyone had thyroid problems after quitting smoking, my health seems to have taken a turn for the worse after quitting 10 weeks ago, I have heard mention that some ex smokers develop thyroid disorders after quitting as the thyroid is recovering...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: thyroid issues after quitting...

Hi Ash0479..

Yep...a lot of people do find they have a thyroid disorder after they quit smoking. It may have been there all along, but symptoms were masked, as smoking can and does mask pain. I do have Hashimoto's disease and hypothyroid, but I was still smoking when I was diagnosed. My brother was one who was diagnosed with hypo after he quit..but he had already been feeling lousy for a long time before that.

I've been reading on thyroid boards for about 3 and 1/2 years, and I've seen this come up more than a few times....either people discovering they had a thyroid disease after they quit smoking, or they were already known to have the thyroid disorder and then became very ill about a month after quitting. There is a chemical in cigarettes, (among the 3000+ other ones) that causes damage to the thyroid gland.... Theo...something...I can look it up later. I think though a lot of us were destined to get the disease anyway, especially if it runs in our families, but I'm sure there are some cases of people who have no familial ties to thyroid disease, and lost thyroid function due to the damage to the gland caused by smoking for many years.

I quit smoking 3 years ago, just 2 months after I was diagnosed with hypo. I had read how bad it was if you have an autoimmune disease, and that smoking can even raise your antibodies! That was all it took for me to give em up. I figured I already have this disease now and I don't want to make it worse. (It's bad enough)

Good luck...

Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

gardeningartist HB User

My daughter & I both became hypothyroid just weeks after we quit smoking 6 months ago. It is very common.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
(female)

WendiC HB User

Mine has gone a bit whacky too. Can it be reversed, or settled down on its own?

Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
(female)

gardeningartist HB User

I do not believe that it will get better on it's own. You should see your Dr. & be tested. You likely will need an increase in your meds.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ispyrebel HB User

How do you know if you have a wacked out thyroid?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

gardeningartist HB User

Go to the thyroid forum on this site. You can learn a lot there.

Basically you will need to get tested by your Dr.

Many Dr's do not know enough about hypothyroidism so you will need to be sure that you get the correct tests.

You will need to test the TSH, Free T3 & Free T4. Get a copy of your test results & post those results along with the ranges in (**** ) next to your result numbers on the Thyroid forum. They can help you interpet those results so that if needed you can argue with your Dr to get treatment if you actually have hypothyroidism.

If you do have hypothyroidism there is nothing you can do about the weight until you get treatment. Your weight will continue to go up until treated. Also you will not be able to lose those extra lbs. until your medication is optimalized.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
(female)

sixx788 HB User

Wow! I am kind of freaked out. I quit smoking in August of 2005 and by December 2005 I noticed a lump on my thyroid. It actually felt like a finger poking me in the neck when I would turn my head. They did an ultrasound and sure enough 3 goiters were there. I had a biopsy and another ultrasound and and they were growing at an alarming rate. So by June of 2006 they removed my whole thyroid. Now, I am wondering if my quitting smoking had anything to do with it. Its the first time I have heard of this, but it definately makes me wonder.

Closed Thread