It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

jen_thomson HB User
I can't stop crying!

And I *never* cry! This is day 5 for me... Got in a fight with my best friend this morning because I just *had* to tell her about some stuff that was bothering me...started crying in the middle of it...and can't stop. Managed to be ugly to almost everyone I work with...and I can't think. But I haven't smoked!!! I know I've messed up bad with my best friend, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make amends- but I know I can't do it right now. I feel like everything is falling apart...but I don't think that's real...if that makes any sense at all....I think my mind is playing tricks on me because I quit smoking. I smoked for 17 years....if that matters. Anyone else dealing with temporary insanity?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: I can't stop crying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_thomson
And I *never* cry! This is day 5 for me... Got in a fight with my best friend this morning because I just *had* to tell her about some stuff that was bothering me...started crying in the middle of it...and can't stop. Managed to be ugly to almost everyone I work with...and I can't think. But I haven't smoked!!! I know I've messed up bad with my best friend, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make amends- but I know I can't do it right now. I feel like everything is falling apart...but I don't think that's real...if that makes any sense at all....I think my mind is playing tricks on me because I quit smoking. I smoked for 17 years....if that matters. Anyone else dealing with temporary insanity?
Hi Jen--I know what you mean. I tried to quit smoking after a year and had the worst crying jags known to mankind. And UGLY mood! Needless to say, I have been smoking 31 years and about to begin smoking cessation classes tomorrow nite (Thursday) and hope I can save all my ugly moods for the classes. I know what you're talking about--you can't help but say what's on your mind and you feel like every hormone is going wacky and no one will give you a hug. Even if they did, it's still not taking away the pain. I swear, it's like every emotion gets buried for years and when the nicotine runs out, all the garbage comes up to the surface and you can't stop it. Change is good, though. If we want to make an omelet, we've gotta crack some eggs. You are not insane--you are healing inside. Sometimes you've gotta say to someone else "That's tough! I count, too!" Just give it up to God and give yourself time. I stopped smoking this past Tuesday and went for almost 24 hours without a cig until my son's friend told me he didn't have a place to live and got me anxious and uptight (he wanted to move in with me and I said no--lots of problems). I beat myself up and caved in and went out and bought two packs. When I quit, I get almost suicidal, so my doctor has me on a low dose of an antidepressant. I really think you're doing a wonderful job and should pat yourself on the back (Hugs). Please let everyone know how you're doing because this is a great board and everyone cares. Take care--Hopeto

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Jen....

Don't worry about your best friend,..if she really cares about you, she'll understand, and forgive you. I too have gotten really crabby and downright crazy a few times when I have gone through a few of my many, many quits. The times that I quit "cold turkey" was the worst (for me), and I would lash out at anyone in my path. The nicotine replacement helped with that...although I could still get crabby, just not as crazy.

Quitting smoking is tough at first. This last time I quit, (3 years ago) I forewarned my hubby, (he's the only one living with me), that I might get crabby and nasty, and to just ignore me and do not take it personally, and also our grown children, and my closest friends...I told them too, "if you don't hear from me for a while, it's cuz I'm probably going to feel miserable for a while and not feel like talking on the phone. I didn't want to anyway, cuz I couldn't smoke. It was a long while before I wanted to start having long phone conversations again. Just explain to your gf what you're going through...after you tell her you're sorry. Hang in there tho Jen, it will ease up...in time.

Good luck girl!
Deda

Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

jen_thomson HB User

thank y'all for your posts...I made it through yesterday without a cigarette!!! I was screaming, "I will not smoke" in the car on the way home, but I made it! Today is starting off much better than yesterday.
"I swear, it's like every emotion gets buried for years and when the nicotine runs out, all the garbage comes up to the surface and you can't stop it."

that's exactly what it feels like! I don't like it much...I'm thinking hibernation might be my best bet.

Y'all are awesome- thank you for your support

Old 09-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey, way to go, Jen! Now go another day without one. Just go like that...one day at a time. At first, I think it's good to not think in terms of quitting, "forever"...think of it like, "I'm [only] not going to smoke today", it makes it easier in your mind.

Yes, I think a lot of stuff does come to the surface when we first quit. Sometimes it was hard to hold back and keep my mouth shut. Maybe we all suppressed some crap inside when we were smokers. I think when I was a smoker, I was more introverted. It was just me and my ciggies...they were my best friends. Not that I didn't have other friends, but I could be very content, just going out in my garage, (I didn't smoke inside my house) and sit out there alone with my thoughts while I smoked. (most of my friends didn't smoke [before this last quit], so I kind of cherished be alone, so that I could smoke as much as I wanted....and not hear their lectures either)

I think I did some of my best thinking ever while I smoked. But later, long after I quit, things started straightening out....and I could think well again w/o my cigs, and could socialize again, w/o my cigs, etc. It really is a process of learning to do everything all over again, without the cigarettes, ya know? And the longer we go on w/o smoking, we just learn again, little by little, along the way.

When I quit, I thought I wouldn't ever function well again in life, thought my fun days were over for good, and that I would remain depressed forever and ever, but I'm here today, 3 years later to tell you, life is wonderful living without cigarettes....it really is. This is the way it was meant to be....just somewhere along the way, (when I was young and foolish) I was weak, and I got hooked, and messed up. Good thing we can always do something about this problem...just quit, and learn to live without them. I am grateful and happy to be a non smoker again.

Good luck not smoking today...
Hugs...Deda

Last edited by Deda; 09-21-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

na0814 HB User

I'm glad to hear this is happening to someone else. I have quit cold turkey after smoking for 35 years. My last cigarette was on August 20. In the last two weeks I have started crying and can't stop. I cry over the least little thing. I feel like any emotion I have ever had is boiling to the surface, everything is coming out. I am not being irratable towards people, I just keep crying when I am by myself. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I am fortunate to have stumbled across this forum and to know I am not the only one. How long will it take for this to go away?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
(female)

jen_thomson HB User

Mine is much better now....no crying fits...and I've been smoke free for 20 days now! I'm guessing that the length of time a person is dependent on cigarettes has *a lot* to do with how long it takes to kick the physical and mental symptoms of withdrawl...I think it's awesome you've quit...I think all of us who quit should be very, very proud of ourselves...

Closed Thread