It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Smoking cessation Class--Umpteenth Time Quitting

Hi all Just dropping by to say that I went to my second smoking cessation class and liked it very much. I've been smoking for 30 years and am quitting for the umpteenth time. I can always get quit, but can never stay quit. I've noticed most of my triggers now and am learning coping and avoidance strategies. My quit date is Sunday the 24th and am so glad that I have a group that is making me feel accountable, which is what I need, but also my insurance is paying for the transportation because I don't have a car to get there!! I live in Massachusetts and have Medicaid. My doctor couldn't write fast enough to give me a letter of medical necessity and they approved it within 48 hours. God smiled on me this week, and I just wanted to pass the word along to those who might want to check if their insurance covers this. I will say a prayer tonight for all my smoking brethren that they are well and successful in their journey to freedom. Hopeto--

Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Smoking cessation Class--Umpteenth Time Quitting

Hi Hopeto....

Glad you're in a class and trying again..good for you! And glad to hear that your insurance approved your class, that's great!

Listen...don't be ashamed that you have quit so many times...It took me 10 failures before I finally got it right, and 2 of those attempts I went to a full year...one time it was 14 months. But most of the time, it was around the 4th month when I would cave in and smoke again. Always felt like a fool! I smoked for 28 years, if you subtract those 2 times that I went a full year not smoking. And hopeto, I took classes over and over again. My hubby was in the Air Force, and our base hospital gave these 8 week courses, and gave us free nic gum, and later when patches came about, they gave you a choice of one or the other. I am pretty sure I took their course 5 times. Later, our current health plan, (Kaiser) had classes, and I went though theirs 2 times. They also gave us the choice of nic gum or patches, only making my $5.00 prescription co-payment, for up to 1 full year. People teased me a lot as I took so many classes. I was just like you...could quit, but couldn't stay quit.

I do think with each time we quit, we do learn some things from it...triggers, how to cope with emotional setbacks, etc. This time I didn't take a course, but I did come to this board every single day for a year. (I rarely missed...I needed the support so bad) I also used the patches, and later the gum. I think it was all just sheer determination...I was 100% ready to give it all I had, and "no matter what", I was quitting "for good!" I even had one little relapse, and still quit a few days later. (at the 4 month mark) I had never, ever done that before....it would always be years before I tried to quit again.

The biggest motivator was my health...as I had just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, (Hashimoto's), and hypothyroid, and that scared me. I thought, it's really time to quit now, as I have this disease, and it will only get worse if I don't quit. Along with quitting, I also started taking better care of myself....eating better, exercising, and taking vitamins/supplements. I think we can do ANYTHING we want to if we set our minds to just do it...no matter what it takes...no matter how bad it feels. It was worth all of the hard work, bad feelings, etc., because now I feel pretty good, and I hate cigarette smoke now, and I never give it a thought....I honestly don't miss it one bit. Oh, BTW...the day you picked to quit (the 24th) is my 3 year quit anniversary. Never thought I'd see the day!! God was good to me, as I prayed a lot for the strength to do it. I'll pray for you too.

Good luck to you, and come to the board whenever you need some encouragement, or just to vent. May I suggest you keep a "journal" of sorts here by starting a new thread when you first quit, and report how you're getting by the first few weeks? It helps to write out your feelings, and you'll be getting advice from friends here.

Good luck...
Deda

Last edited by Deda; 09-21-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Deda-- Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I have enjoyed reading your threads and encouraging words on the thyroid board as that is something that I am still about to pursue by the end of the year because it is still questionable if I'm hypo as well (a familial thing, but so far not for me!). I know what a lot of my triggers are--stress, illness in the family, having an 18 1/2 yr. old, boredom and depression. I really enjoy the class, go to therapy and other support groups and I think the boards on this site are so encouraging. I have never learned to take things slow and easy. For some things, I take it one day at a time, but for others I don't apply that concept to let things go. I believe that this old dog can learn new tricks but know I can't do it alone. Thanks to you and others who have beaten the gorillas(not monkeys)on their backs, hope is restored to those of us who are still struggling. God bless, and thanks again for welcoming me. Hopeto--

Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

You're right, hopeto, it IS a gorilla, not a monkey!!!! LOL

I know you've been trying to find out what's going on with your health....if that hypo-Hashi's is familial, well there's a very good chance you will get it, (or already have it) as it's so likely that the females in the family [especially] seem to get this. It wook me quite a few years of symptoms before I got my diagnoses, and I was tested 3 1/2 yrs prior to my actual dx, and my TSH was already 4.4, and the Dr. said it was "normal". Ha...not normal for me! (or most people for that matter, and I need my TSH right around a 1 for me to feel human)

I tend to be a high stress, anxiety ridden, worrier, pessimistic person as well....always have been, can't help it, it's just the way I am. (came from a mom just like me) I sure wish I could let things go too, but it doesn't always happen. I am trying to learn to not worry so much. (What good does it do anyway??)

Hey, never give up! I would say, most of us here never thought we'd be able to do it, and we did. Millions of people have quit, hopeto, so if we... "in the millions" have quit, so can you! And I hope hopeto will quit soon too. We're here to help you when you do, okay?

Take care and God bless you too,
Deda

Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

patsfan6866 HB User

I live in MA too. I struggle with smoking everyday. That is everyday I know I should quit and don't, which consequently lowers my self esteem and makes me depressed. I do have to say that I feel A stronger urge than ever to give up this strugggle --- I 've had even of this addiction ruling my life and ruining my health! Ive been reading up on smoking cessation techniques ect..
One thing I 'd like to say is they say the more times you try the more likely you are to quit for good!!! I sincerely hope this is the time for you!!! Good luck --- You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan6866
One thing I 'd like to say is they say the more times you try the more likely you are to quit for good!!! I sincerely hope this is the time for you!!! Good luck --- You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh girl, you are so right, in what you heard. Overall statistics say that it takes most people a few quits before they quit for good. I know that was the case for me...I quit at least 10 times, and 2 of those times I even went over the 1 year mark. Just wasn't determined enough to quit for good....until this last quit, which was 37.5 months ago. I never thought I'd ever get quit for good, I just wish I'd done it sooner instaed of waiting almost 30 years to do it. Aw well....it least I did do it and I thank God for it too. I think he sent me an angel to help me.

Never give up....keep on thinking about it, all the great benefits you will reap, improved health, on and on and on.....the list is so long of nothing but good things. Start programing your mind...change your thoughts, get strong minded and determined, ie; "I CAN BEAT THIS THING!!!" Pick a quit date and start taking the necessary steps. Talk to your Dr., do you want to use a nicotine replacement aide? Make a plan of what you're going to do to relieve craving....to keep busy. Write out on paper all of the reasons it would be good for you to quit smoking, and all of the reasons you really want to quit.

Never, Never NEVER give up....because, if this weak, seriously addicted person , (I had to get up from bed and walk straight to the garage to have a smoke, the minute I woke up....no matter how cold it was out there,....and if I woke up in the night, to use the restroom, I'd go out there and have one then too!) so as I was saying, ....if this weak, (very weak at first) woman could turn strong and determined enough to quit, so can you all, any of you. Just get tough!! (Don't say wimpy things like, "I don't think I can do it") Get mean about it... "I hate those little mf'ers and I'm not about to let them mess up my health OR take my life!!" "I CAN DO THIS, DAMMIT
!!!!!!"

TRY HARD!!!! AND NEVER GIVE UP!
Deda

Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Deda! I was just tested again last week and the grand total for TSH is now 3.65 from a 3.01 in April. I keep having trouble(brain fog, I guess) understanding if there is a difference between diagnostic ranges for thyroid and normal ranges if you already have hypo. Could you be a doll and explain this one to me? I, too, am a Type A personality and have had every neurological and psychiatric diagnosis know to man. It would be nice to win one once in a while!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: references to commercial websites - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan6866
I live in MA too. I struggle with smoking everyday. That is everyday I know I should quit and don't, which consequently lowers my self esteem and makes me depressed. I do have to say that I feel A stronger urge than ever to give up this strugggle --- I 've had even of this addiction ruling my life and ruining my health! Ive been reading up on smoking cessation techniques ect..
Hi Pats! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I attend a class on Thursday evenings at Milford Hospital and they are terrific. What a really nice bunch to sit and talk to for an hour and it doesn't just run for 6 weeks--it's an ongoing thing. Even if you are successful, you can go back for a mental shot in the arm. I can't say enough good about them. I live in the Franklin area so it's not too far away. You will succeed! I know you will! I was taking a low dose of a mild antidepressant(Doxepin) to help with fibromyalgia and it helped with the nicotine hunger and it will be 4 weeks on 11/24. I have my moments but I can breathe a little better without this stuff. I will keep a good thought for you today and will ask God to stand by you in this time of great courage. Take care--Hopeto

Closed Thread