It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User
Trying to work up to quitting.

I'm 36, have been smoking now since I was 13. I know it's past time to quit but I'm having a hard time just doing it, lol or not doing it I guess. I notice now that in the morning I get up and I feel ok but then I smoke and my heart rate goes up and I start to get an overall feeling of just yuck. I crave the drug so I smoke even though I am really beginning to understand it is making me feel aweful. So I know I have to get past the junkie. I have anxiety and panic disorder and due to that I am freaky about taking anything so there's no way I can use any aids like gum or the patch and I will have to go it alone and deal with it.

Maybe if anyone knows of the just yucky feeling I am talking about in the morning after smoking and if they have had it go away after quitting and just feel better, they can share with me.

I'm just strugling with this and am trying to find some hope here, something I can tell myself so I can quit and stay that way.

Thanks for listening.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Trying to work up to quitting.

My advice would be work with your Doctor. That is the only way I could of made it this far. I am at 6 weeks and after a week I was having panic attacks and anxiety, bad!!! My doc put me on some wonderful meds and they make this quit so much more tolerable.

I smoked from 14yrs of age and I am 35yrs old...just could not smoke anymore. You go though alot of stages when you quit just have a great support system. If you want it you can do it and trust me it feels so good not to be chained to smokes anymore!!! You have to take cigs for what they are and that is a drug and I had to face that I was a junkie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
(male)

john_m HB User

I think that you need to decide for yourself that you really are ready to quit. You are still in the two-mind situation. You half want to quit and you half don't. Maybe it's not 50-50, but you are not 100% ready.

I think that one of the best ways to do this is to visualize yourself as a non-smoker. Do this regularly and start to like the idea of it. If you do this enough, and you like it, your desire to be a non smoker will start to outweigh your need for cigarettes. I also think that you need to set a date and start building towards it, giving up smoking is something that you can put off for ever, and as we all know it can roll into years. Setting the date you are going to quit is a really critical step.

Best of luck.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Reyne,
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a Doctor I trust to work through this with. I live in a rural area and as it is all they will do is push meds on me which I won't take so I'm fairly sure that's all it would be more of.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

John,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure exactly how to picture myself as a non-smoker, honestly I can't really remember what life is like not attached to this drug. I do try though and think about it while I'm watching a movie or eating or what have you and notice I have gotten by fine for X amount of time without think of or having a cigarette in my mouth.

The biggest thing for me though is do people have that morning cigarette crappy feeling, elevated heart rate feeling gone and feel better after no longer smoking. If that would be gone it would be worth every effort to stop.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

yep---- that's me. feel like crap, sick to the stomach after the first one but smoke it anyway. every morning. that's how much they control me. i haven't enjoyed one in the past week. just light up because i smoke. sound like an idiot don't I?

Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

ICC,
That's how I feel. Stupid. I am even getting headaches and I KNOW the smoking is making it worse because it might let up a bit and then I smoke and the pain gets worse. I'm really starting to want to know if stopping smoking would allow me to feel a lot better.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

oh my friend i have quit 4-5 times. yes youdo feel alot better. maybe not at first but eventually you do. i know the cigs are the cause of my upset stomach, headaches, sore throat etc. and like i said i do it anyway. had a thyroid biopsy done last tuesday and couldn't believe i smoke right after. how stupid is that. well i still have a hoarse voice and throat still hurts and i blame it all on the cigs. i am starting to light them just because i smoke. not because i want one it's just what i do. i am hoping november 16th the great smoke out is my day and just pray to God i can do it this time. they are like my best friend. love them and hate them.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Like you I started at a very young age and I am 39 I quit 4 months ago cold turkey my third serious attempt and hopefully my last. I didn't set a date or anything I just woke up one day and I thought to myself let's see how far I can go without smoking and that was 4 months ago. I had a really bad time with withdrawal one of the reasons when I'm tempted to smoke I think of the withdrawals I went through and don't want to go through it again so there's some thing to be said about withdrawal with that being said. I don't really miss them anymore I have more money, I don't stink like an ashtray, I can run down the block without needing an ambulance with an oxgen tank, I've put on weight but I feel great I conquered one of the hardest things you can do have great pride in myself but even better my 4 yr old tells everyone he can that I quit and asks them to be proud of me it's really cool. I use to like to sing so Iwas thinking now I'll have the money for lessons who knows maybe a new career on the horizon.I think it's all in how you look at it, instead of thinking of it as giving up something think of it as giving yourself something your health!!!! Good luck I know you can do it!!!!! We all can it's so worth it!!!!

Last edited by Liamsmom; 10-03-2006 at 06:13 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Liamsmom:
Bettie J (08-28-2011)
Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

ICC,
Do you have any support people to help you quit or maybe a buddy to quit with you? I wish you the best in quitting, I know it's scary and it's not easy to even just make up our minds to stop.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-03-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Liamsmom,
WOW great Job!! It sounds like it's a big positive for you. I'm so glad to hear it. I'm glad you have something you enjoy to look foreward to now, that's what life is all about. LOL I love that about your 4 y/o, too sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

hi all***** have no support group here but do have all of you. my husband and youngest daughter (27) live with me and both smoke. i was working until May when i was injured on the job and all 20 of us smoked. have taken the smoking cessation classes with no success. i quit for 3 mos because i was having gall bladder surgery but of course started again as soon as the stress started up. i think i will probably try the patch as i have no will power right now. my longest quits were a year and i did them both cold turkey and can still remember how much better and calmer i felt. here' hoping for the great smokeout or sooner.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

ICC,
My husband quit about 3 years ago while I was still smoking of course. I tried hard to not smoke around him while he was quitting. He had a heart attack at 39 and quit that day. It's scary really but I guess not scary enough to get me off them. Does hubby and daughter smoke in the house or will it be a zone for you not to have to be around it? You might see if you can plan ahead for that for the first week at least just to help you out.

I remember when I started smoking I knew of the risks but I honestly had no idea that smoking was this addictive. If I had only known then... *sigh*

Old 06-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
(female)

timetoreclaim HB User

Wow,
I forgot all about this thread. Just wanted to update.

I quit smoking February 14, 2007 and haven't touched a smoke since.

Saturday will be 16 months.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

i have had anxiety and panic disorders almost all my life and take dothiepin for deppression and diazapam i am using the patch and inhalator have only been of 2 weeks and 4 days hope this helps

Closed Thread